By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - wii the wii be the third game system to reach 100 million or the ps3?

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Smooth Criminal said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Smooth Criminal said:
Wii looks all good for now, but I don't think it'll quite reach 100 million. Maybe more like 60-80 million because I strongly believe its appeal will slowly start fading out while PS3's appeal will grow stronger as time moves forward to the future.

My predictions are like this, for end of lifetime sales:

PS3 - just under or just over 100 million (keep in mind all the PS2 users out there still)
Wii - 60-80 million
360 - 50-60 million

Brand loyalty is largely a myth, those who bought a PS2 are buying a Wii games like GTA only sold to a small group (1/8 PS2 owners), PS3 lacks the games that the PS2 had to attract people

That's a very valid point, actually. But still, during the time of PS2's era, that was the DOMINANT console of its generation and the only one that is still selling strong into the NEXT generation. I don't think this has been done before.

Now THIS generation, it seems there won't be a CLEAR dominant console like the PS2 was. The market is far and away too split up for any of the consoles to sell the way the PS2 has...and not two ways, but 3 ways as the PS3 is showing no signs of slowing down (it was behind and came at a HUGE price point...that was its achilles heel, so to speak.) The PS3 may make it through (it will take a long time, I'm sure) because eventually I see BIG things for the console, especially when most people are going to settle for HD and all the new, fancy technology that is coming out (or is out right now.)

In any case, it'll be interesting, to say the least how these numbers will be split up between the 3.

PS3 has yet to breach GCN numbers in Japan or NA, and 360 is only strong in NA, the thing is neither console is that dangerous to Wii as they are fighting over the same group, while Wii is targeting everyone, with their concern being indifference, Wii is the only console capable of reaching 100 million ,and probably more

Yeah, but don't forget the fact that the Wii may only seem impressive now due to its speedy sales figures (and lets face it, price has ALOT to do with this). I think it's already slowing down and it hasn't reached 20 million worldwide yet. I expect PHENOMENALLY quick sales figures but in the end, the number will decline. I don't think the majority of "console" gamers, in the end, will settle for a platform that is basically no different that could be found last gen. I think the 360 is quite competitive right now with the Wii and the PS3 will have crazy legs...little by little, I think many will see just how far the PS3 can go as more games come out for it, it becomes less expensive to the consumers and when people begin accomodating HD TV's and its technology more and more.

The thing is, for many gamers, the PS2 remains to be the most popular console in terms of usage. I KNOW there must be many gamers out there that still want to grab a hold of a PS3 but something is holding them back - be it lack of games, the price or whatever. 

End of Year predictions:

Wii | 17.5 million ----> 19.20 million as of new year

X360 | 16 million ----> 16.02 million as of new year

PS3 | 8.7 million -----> 8.86 million as of new year

DAMNN I really underestimated the freaking Wii - Sheaaat! 

Lifetime Sales

Wii | 60-80 million

X360 | 50-60 million

PS3 | 100+ million (I believe the PS3 will still be around when other NEW consoles arrive...there won't be a PS4 for quite some time.)

Around the Network
Smooth Criminal said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Smooth Criminal said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Smooth Criminal said:
Wii looks all good for now, but I don't think it'll quite reach 100 million. Maybe more like 60-80 million because I strongly believe its appeal will slowly start fading out while PS3's appeal will grow stronger as time moves forward to the future.

PS3 - just under or just over 100 million (keep in mind all the PS2 users out there still)
Wii - 60-80 million
360 - 50-60 million

Brand loyalty is largely a myth, those who bought a PS2 are buying a Wii games like GTA only sold to a small group (1/8 PS2 owners), PS3 lacks the games that the PS2 had to attract people

That's a very valid point, actually. But still, during the time of PS2's era, that was the DOMINANT console of its generation and the only one that is still selling strong into the NEXT generation. I don't think this has been done before.

Now THIS generation, it seems there won't be a CLEAR dominant console like the PS2 was. The market is far and away too split up for any of the consoles to sell the way the PS2 has...and not two ways, but 3 ways as the PS3 is showing no signs of slowing down (it was behind and came at a HUGE price point...that was its achilles heel, so to speak.) The PS3 may make it through (it will take a long time, I'm sure) because eventually I see BIG things for the console, especially when most people are going to settle for HD and all the new, fancy technology that is coming out (or is out right now.)

In any case, it'll be interesting, to say the least how these numbers will be split up between the 3.

PS3 has yet to breach GCN numbers in Japan or NA, and 360 is only strong in NA, the thing is neither console is that dangerous to Wii as they are fighting over the same group, while Wii is targeting everyone, with their concern being indifference, Wii is the only console capable of reaching 100 million ,and probably more

Yeah, but don't forget the fact that the Wii may only seem impressive now due to its speedy sales figures (and lets face it, price has ALOT to do with this). I think it's already slowing down and it hasn't reached 20 million worldwide yet. I expect PHENOMENALLY quick sales figures but in the end, the number will decline. I don't think the majority of "console" gamers, in the end, will settle for a platform that is basically no different that could be found last gen. I think the 360 is quite competitive right now with the Wii and the PS3 will have crazy legs...little by little, I think many will see just how far the PS3 can go as more games come out for it, it becomes less expensive to the consumers and when people begin accomodating HD TV's and its technology more and more.

The thing is, for many gamers, the PS2 remains to be the most popular console in terms of usage. I KNOW there must be many gamers out there that still want to grab a hold of a PS3 but something is holding them back - be it lack of games, the price or whatever. 

it doesn't matter what gen a console comes from! (even the ps2 has been beating the ps3 and it is last gen!) hell there are even people still looking around for snes's and nes's. the only factor that matters is if it brings a new experience or feature to the world of gaming!(ps2 brought dvd players into our homes along with new games. wii brought new motion sensing tech that can get us as close to the future as we possibly can!!)

Damn things have changed since 2009 began. Here are my new visions for the end of the generation.

Wii: 135 mil

Ps3: 85 mil

360: 60 mil

True Genius
Avinash_Tyagi said:
aceninja007 said:
HappySqurriel said:
Honestly, I think the Nintendo DS will have that honor

Definitely, though I believe that the Wii will be next, followed by the PS3 on the console side of things. I would like to see the PSP get there, but its got a lot of work to do...

I doubt PS3 will be able to overtake the PSP, unless something major occurs

I suppose that is true. I'd definitely like to see them both sell 100mil+, next time I'll think about what I'm typing... its these darn finals >_<. I actually meant to put the PSP figures higher than the PS3, but I dunno what I was thinking then...

justincoool said:
the wii looks terrible and cheap, PS3 is gorgeous...and the PS3 has the most 100 million potential.

EDIT: I  forgot my response... oops

While I definitely agree that the PS3 is one sexy machine, I think that the Wii has more "100 million potential."

PSN ID: aceninja007

I think the ps3 will probably make 100 mil. This is because it'll sell a lot to gamers as well as people who buy it for watching blu ray movies. Probably not a ton of people who buy it just for the movies, but it can't hurt.

is this a serious question? ps3 selling 100 million? even 50 million is a stretch unless both microsoft and nintendo leave the market. wii has a very good chance at hitting 100 million but it is not guaranteed. the ps3 and 360 will probably end up within a few million of each other because of the 360's one year head start. mostly likely somewhere between 30-40 million. if ps3 did sell close to 50 million that'd be crazy good for sony but i highly doubt it. when you take into account that the ps3 is looked at as the least popular system by the public, is losing exclusives, is the most expensive, currently has the worst library of the 3 and it will most likely stay that way, brand name is strong obviously or it would not have sold like 7 million in a year costing 500-600 bucks, but it is certainly not strong enough to put it over 50 million and probably not even close.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

Around the Network

I don't see much potential for Wii to hit 100 million... Wii will do fine until 360 and PS3 come down to the same price category but it won't be 100 million by then.

PS3... It is possible but until they can get a library that competes with 360 it will be impossible unless they can take North America.

360... It is possible without Japan as long as they do decently in Europe / Others... But there is doubt whether they can keep doing decent in Europe / Others.

After 6 years of this generation we may see none of them at 100 million.

woah, i just saw what you wrote smooth criminal. did you honestly just say that the wii is no different than what was around last gen? have you even played a wii? cuz its much more different to any previous console than the 360 and ps3 are. 360/ps3 are just more powerful versions of last gen. wii is a completely different gaming system. you can play games on wii that can't even be imagined for and previous system or the 360 and ps3. i think some of you kids are a little too focused on graphics and maybe have never actually picked up a wii and realized what a completely different and immersive new way to play games it offers

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

ilovetogame said:
woah, i just saw what you wrote smooth criminal. did you honestly just say that the wii is no different than what was around last gen? have you even played a wii? cuz its much more different to any previous console than the 360 and ps3 are. 360/ps3 are just more powerful versions of last gen. wii is a completely different gaming system. you can play games on wii that can't even be imagined for and previous system or the 360 and ps3. i think some of you kids are a little too focused on graphics and maybe have never actually picked up a wii and realized what a completely different and immersive new way to play games it offers

Yes, I play my Wii, 360, and PS3... I also still play my original (meaning owned them since I was young)  Commodore 64, Colecovision and Telstar Pong game console on the odd occasion.  So don't go calling me a "kid".

Smooth Criminal said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Smooth Criminal said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Smooth Criminal said:

Wii - 60-80 million
360 - 50-60 million

Sorry dud, but its not slowing down, that's a very ignorant comment, there isn't supply, you can't sell what you don't have, you can't sell beyond your production possibilities frontier, its just not possible.

Last gen tech didn't hurt the NES sales when it came out, why would it hurt the Wii, higher tech didn't save the gaming PC's and it won't save the PS3 and 360, because most people have no interest in those systems as sales are showing even with Wii supply constraints 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

NeoRatt said:
I don't see much potential for Wii to hit 100 million... Wii will do fine until 360 and PS3 come down to the same price category but it won't be 100 million by then.

PS3... It is possible but until they can get a library that competes with 360 it will be impossible unless they can take North America.

360... It is possible without Japan as long as they do decently in Europe / Others... But there is doubt whether they can keep doing decent in Europe / Others.

After 6 years of this generation we may see none of them at 100 million.

lol, you know Wii prices can go down as well, and even with lowerc ost PS3 and 360, its the software that moves sytems more than price, and most software on the PS3 and 360 doesn't appeal to the market as a whole, mostly only to 13-35 year old males

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)