By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - wii the wii be the third game system to reach 100 million or the ps3?

Ban this moron.

Around the Network

Wii looks all good for now, but I don't think it'll quite reach 100 million. Maybe more like 60-80 million because I strongly believe its appeal will slowly start fading out while PS3's appeal will grow stronger as time moves forward to the future.

My predictions are like this, for end of lifetime sales:

PS3 - just under or just over 100 million (keep in mind all the PS2 users out there still)
Wii - 60-80 million
360 - 50-60 million

End of Year predictions:

Wii | 17.5 million ----> 19.20 million as of new year

X360 | 16 million ----> 16.02 million as of new year

PS3 | 8.7 million -----> 8.86 million as of new year

DAMNN I really underestimated the freaking Wii - Sheaaat! 

Lifetime Sales

Wii | 60-80 million

X360 | 50-60 million

PS3 | 100+ million (I believe the PS3 will still be around when other NEW consoles arrive...there won't be a PS4 for quite some time.)

Smooth Criminal said:
Wii looks all good for now, but I don't think it'll quite reach 100 million. Maybe more like 60-80 million because I strongly believe its appeal will slowly start fading out while PS3's appeal will grow stronger as time moves forward to the future.

PS3 - just under or just over 100 million (keep in mind all the PS2 users out there still)
Wii - 60-80 million
360 - 50-60 million

Brand loyalty is largely a myth, those who bought a PS2 are buying a Wii games like GTA only sold to a small group (1/8 PS2 owners), PS3 lacks the games that the PS2 had to attract people

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

the wii looks terrible and cheap, PS3 is gorgeous...and the PS3 has the most 100 million potential.

the wii looks terrible and cheap, PS3 is gorgeous...and the PS3 has the most 100 million potential.

Around the Network

End of Year predictions:

Lifetime Sales

Wii | 60-80 million

X360 | 50-60 million

PS3 | 100+ million (I believe the PS3 will still be around when other NEW consoles arrive...there won't be a PS4 for quite some time.)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Smooth Criminal said:

Wii - 60-80 million
360 - 50-60 million

Brand loyalty is largely a myth, those who bought a PS2 are buying a Wii games like GTA only sold to a small group (1/8 PS2 owners), PS3 lacks the games that the PS2 had to attract people

That's a very valid point, actually. But still, during the time of PS2's era, that was the DOMINANT console of its generation and the only one that is still selling strong into the NEXT generation.  I don't think this has been done before.

Now THIS generation, it seems there won't be a CLEAR dominant console like the PS2 was. The market is far and away too split up for any of the consoles to sell the way the PS2 has...and not two ways, but 3 ways as the PS3 is showing no signs of slowing down (it was behind and came at a HUGE price point...that was its achilles heel, so to speak.) The PS3 may make it through (it will take a long time, I'm sure) because eventually I see BIG things for the console, especially when most people are going to settle for HD and all the new, fancy technology that is coming out (or is out right now.)

In any case, it'll be interesting, to say the least how these numbers will be split up between the 3.

End of Year predictions:

Lifetime Sales

Wii | 60-80 million

X360 | 50-60 million

Smooth Criminal said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Smooth Criminal said:

Wii - 60-80 million
360 - 50-60 million

Brand loyalty is largely a myth, those who bought a PS2 are buying a Wii games like GTA only sold to a small group (1/8 PS2 owners), PS3 lacks the games that the PS2 had to attract people

That's a very valid point, actually. But still, during the time of PS2's era, that was the DOMINANT console of its generation and the only one that is still selling strong into the NEXT generation.  I don't think this has been done before.

Now THIS generation, it seems there won't be a CLEAR dominant console like the PS2 was. The market is far and away too split up for any of the consoles to sell the way the PS2 has...and not two ways, but 3 ways as the PS3 is showing no signs of slowing down (it was behind and came at a HUGE price point...that was its achilles heel, so to speak.) The PS3 may make it through (it will take a long time, I'm sure) because eventually I see BIG things for the console, especially when most people are going to settle for HD and all the new, fancy technology that is coming out (or is out right now.)

In any case, it'll be interesting, to say the least how these numbers will be split up between the 3.

PS3 has yet to breach GCN numbers in Japan or NA, and 360 is only strong in NA, the thing is neither console is that dangerous to Wii as they are fighting over the same group, while Wii is targeting everyone, with their concern being indifference, Wii is the only console capable of reaching 100 million ,and probably more

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

justincoool said:

graphics never decides these things