By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The 3DS is missing one key thing

pacman91 said:

For me the benefit of achievements is replay value. Considering many nintendo games have medals, coins, etc the replay value is already there, I don't have a problem with nintendo's strategy.

Achievements for the purpose of flaunting your play time I think is silly.  

Exactly. A sense of achievement is a reason to play, not an end in and of itself. A centralized system would be fun if it had a point (which, if that Coin system we're seeing actually applies to in-game accomplishments as well as walking, would be tremendously more useful), but otherwise its just a complement to the merit of individual games' designs.

If developers think people need achievements for motivation to complete their single-player mode, then they are not developing a compelling enough single-player mode

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
twesterm said:
Khuutra said:

So you would also see how that's not a qualification for calling something a "key feature", regardless of how important it is to you.

Absolutely not, I admit it's an overly important feature for me but that doesn't mean it's a throw away feature.  There's no denying that achievements help sell game and encourage players to play more games.  They help people actually complete a single player game which mean less wasted work and they encourage people to play multiplayer games longer which means people keeping games longer and people have more people to play with.

While achievements aren't important to other people as they are to me, that doesn't make them any less important overall.  Games are still fine without them but with them they're even better.

Ahp ahp ahp ahp!

I hate false dichotomies. I never claimed that cheevos are a throwaway feature, just that they are not a key component to general sales trends (and you're cripplingly unable to prove otherwise).

Your whole original point is that cheevos are a key feature. They aren't.

Now don't get me wrong, I like them - I'm apparently a lot more serious abotu cheevos in games I like than you are - but they are ont in the neighborhood of "key".

I actually don't think they're a key feature to sale trends but they are a key feature in 1) getting people to finish games and 2) making people keep playing multiplayer.

You're right I can't really prove they're a key component in sales trends but I do know a few things:

1. If a game is longer than eight hours, people aren't likely to finish.
2. Dangle a carrot and people will follow it
3. Achievements drive peopel to finish games and play the single player component longer.

While the above isn't something that drives sales, it is a key feature to making people experience more of the single player game. 

If they see the achievement for finishing the game or chapter, they might just put in that little bit of extra effort to finish.  If they see there's an achievement for finding collectibles and they have 4/5, they might just start searching nooks and crannies.

I don't believe I ever even hinted at achievements being something that drive sales (or if I did, I in fact did it wrongly), it's a key feature in getting people to play the game and play it more.

palancas7 said:

Screw achievements.

hmmmm no PS3 or 360 games in your library. 

EMULATION is the past.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

twesterm said:

You're right I can't really prove they're a key component in sales trends but I do know a few things:

3. Achievements drive peopel to finish games and play the single player component longer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall a gamasutra article which featured metrics showing that the number of people completing games has improved little, if at all, compared to the previous generation.

twesterm said:
Khuutra said:

Ahp ahp ahp ahp!

I hate false dichotomies. I never claimed that cheevos are a throwaway feature, just that they are not a key component to general sales trends (and you're cripplingly unable to prove otherwise).

Your whole original point is that cheevos are a key feature. They aren't.

Now don't get me wrong, I like them - I'm apparently a lot more serious abotu cheevos in games I like than you are - but they are ont in the neighborhood of "key".

I actually don't think they're a key feature to sale trends but they are a key feature in 1) getting people to finish games and 2) making people keep playing multiplayer.

While the above isn't something that drives sales, it is a key feature to making people experience more of the single player game. 

If they see the achievement for finishing the game or chapter, they might just put in that little bit of extra effort to finish.  If they see there's an achievement for finding collectibles and they have 4/5, they might just start searching nooks and crannies.

I don't believe I ever even hinted at achievements being something that drive sales (or if I did, I in fact did it wrongly), it's a key feature in getting people to play the game and play it more.

What basis do you use to support the argument that achievements push people to finish games more than normal?

Around the Network
noname2200 said:
twesterm said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall a gamasutra article which featured metrics showing that the number of people completing games has improved little, if at all, compared to the previous generation

I'm not saying people finish more games because of achievements, I'm saying people play longer and differently.

Pretend you're playing some sort of chapter based game and you're in the middle of chapter 6.  On a normal Wii game, you're not getting achievements and for whatever reason you put the game down.  What encourages you to come back?  Enjoyment is a big thing but that's not always enough for people.  If the Wii had given them some sort of over-arching achievement at the end of every chapter they know they're due at the end of chapter 6 even if it isn't the last chapter.  That achievement may just drive the person to play the game that much further.

Now pretend you're playing a game that has 40 collectibles.   One game, lets say a Wii game again, gives you access to an art gallery for getting all 40.  A similar 360 game with 40 collectibles may give you access to an art gallery after you collect all 40 and an achievement when you collect the 40th collectible.  Finally, another similar PS3 title has 40 collectibles and it gives you access to an art gallery once you've collected them all and a trophy every five collectibles.

Now pretend in all those games you're at 24/40 of the collectibles and you're about 2/3 through.  For the Wii game, most people aren't going to care about the art gallery.  For the 360 game, most people are going to give up finding the collectibles because they're surely missed the achievement and don't care about the art gallery.  For the PS3 game, the person knows they're only 1 collectible away from a trophy and they're going to start exploring every corner seeing more of the game.  Furthermore, they've tasted the carrot and they're going to continue to explore the game.  They might not get all 40, they might only get 25 in the end but the achievements still served their purpose.

That little trophy didn't sell anyone on the game at all but it made the person keep playing since they're only one away and it encouraged them to see more of the game that the Wii or 360 person would not have seen.

twesterm said:

I'm not saying people finish more games because of achievements, I'm saying people play longer and differently.

Pretend you're playing some sort of chapter based game and you're in the middle of chapter 6.  On a normal Wii game, you're not getting achievements and for whatever reason you put the game down.  What encourages you to come back?  Enjoyment is a big thing but that's not always enough for people.  If the Wii had given them some sort of over-arching achievement at the end of every chapter they know they're due at the end of chapter 6 even if it isn't the last chapter.  That achievement may just drive the person to play the game that much further.

Now pretend you're playing a game that has 40 collectibles.   One game, lets say a Wii game again, gives you access to an art gallery for getting all 40.  A similar 360 game with 40 collectibles may give you access to an art gallery after you collect all 40 and an achievement when you collect the 40th collectible.  Finally, another similar PS3 title has 40 collectibles and it gives you access to an art gallery once you've collected them all and a trophy every five collectibles.

Now pretend in all those games you're at 24/40 of the collectibles and you're about 2/3 through.  For the Wii game, most people aren't going to care about the art gallery.  For the 360 game, most people are going to give up finding the collectibles because they're surely missed the achievement and don't care about the art gallery.  For the PS3 game, the person knows they're only 1 collectible away from a trophy and they're going to start exploring every corner seeing more of the game.  Furthermore, they've tasted the carrot and they're going to continue to explore the game.  They might not get all 40, they might only get 25 in the end but the achievements still served their purpose.

That little trophy didn't sell anyone on the game at all but it made the person keep playing since they're only one away and it encouraged them to see more of the game that the Wii or 360 person would not have seen.

Don't mistake me; I understand the logic behind the claim.  But I'm fairly confident that the data don't support the claim.  You're offering a hypothetical to support the thesis, and I concede that, in a vacuum, there is a logical connection there.  But to the best of my knowledge, reality contradicts this hypothetical.  Or is there some data that I'm missing?

darklich13 said:
palancas7 said:

Screw achievements.

hmmmm no PS3 or 360 games in your library. 

and? I'm a PC player too and I don't care about the Steam achievements I get. Happy?

noname2200 said:
twesterm said:

Don't mistake me; I understand the logic behind the claim.  But I'm fairly confident that the data don't support the claim.  You're offering a hypothetical to support the thesis, and I concede that, in a vacuum, there is a logical connection there.  But to the best of my knowledge, reality contradicts this hypothetical.  Or is there some data that I'm missing?

Hey, I say if the logic makes sense it makes sense.  :-p

Though I would be interested to see your source and when it was written.

twesterm said:
noname2200 said:
twesterm said:

Hey, I say if the logic makes sense it makes sense.  :-p

Though I would be interested to see your source and when it was written.

Man, reply to me

(you are still wrong, and this bit of logic doesn't even work with you; your completion rate is like 19%)