By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The 3DS is missing one key thing

You know, I'd like achievements more if there were an option to have them automatically added to your tag/profile/etc. without having the pop-ups in-game.

Pixel Art can be fun.

Around the Network

id love achievements on the ds/wii for my games! the feeling of completing a game 100% is always a good one for me, but with Nintendo games, you have to hope you have all a game has to offer! my only criticism of Nintendo EVER =P

twesterm said:
What can I say, I like seeing my progress across games.  I may like Super Mario Galaxy 2 more than Gears of War but I can't help it, I love seeing my gamerscore go up.

I collect things, it's kind of what I do.

It's a powerful psychological hook. But when a psychological hook gets you to waste your time/money etc., and choose options that are less good for you (in whatever way, entertainment, health, whatever) such as choosing to play a less fun game with achievements over a fun game without them, it's bad. Examples of psychological hooks used this way: WoW, Scientology, comfort eating, comfort shopping. I have no doubt Farmville will be viewed like WoW is now in the near future (it pretty much already is).

When psychological hooks exist in a way that gets you to do something productive or help you to make *better* decisions, it's not seen as so bad, but achievements definitely do not do that.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Khuutra said:
twesterm said:
Khuutra said:

So you hold that the entertainment value of achievements is greater than the difference in entertainment value propositions between a Mario Galaxy game and a Harry Potter game?

What can I say, I like seeing my progress across games.  I may like Super Mario Galaxy 2 more than Gears of War but I can't help it, I love seeing my gamerscore go up.

I collect things, it's kind of what I do.

You can see where this radically differentiates from the norm, I assume.

Of course ^^

twesterm said:
Khuutra said:

Of course ^^

So you would also see how that's not a qualification for calling something a "key feature", regardless of how important it is to you.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
twesterm said:
Khuutra said:

Of course ^^

So you would also see how that's not a qualification for calling something a "key feature", regardless of how important it is to you.

Absolutely not, I admit it's an overly important feature for me but that doesn't mean it's a throw away feature.  There's no denying that achievements help sell game and encourage players to play more games.  They help people actually complete a single player game which mean less wasted work and they encourage people to play multiplayer games longer which means people keeping games longer and people have more people to play with.

While achievements aren't important to other people as they are to me, that doesn't make them any less important overall.  Games are still fine without them but with them they're even better.

For me the benefit of achievements is replay value. Considering many nintendo games have medals, coins, etc the replay value is already there, I don't have a problem with nintendo's strategy.

Achievements for the purpose of flaunting your play time I think is silly.  

I will admit. If I didn't have trophies for my PS3 games then I probably wouldn't play them as much as I do. The trophies give me more of an incentive.

twesterm said:
Immortal said:

The only people who really seem to care about achievements are PS3/360 fans. The general Nintendo audience and the expanded audience don't seem to care for them much at all so I doubt it would be worth the effort.

Huh, that's funny because I considered myself a Nintendo fan...

And while you're correct that I don't think parents and the like won't care for achievements, kids and hardcore gamers very much do.  Nintendo already has the kids and parents hooked but they still need to gain traction with the hardcore gamers.  An achievement like system would go a very long way in that.

And it gets better when you just imagine Twesterm typing every post he does with no pants on. Gosh I love my imagination.

Anyways, achievements aren't a huge deal for me. I've gone out of my way to get a few in the Valve games I play but that's about it. 3DS still should have an achievement-esque system though.

twesterm said:
Khuutra said:

Absolutely not, I admit it's an overly important feature for me but that doesn't mean it's a throw away feature.  There's no denying that achievements help sell game and encourage players to play more games.  They help people actually complete a single player game which mean less wasted work and they encourage people to play multiplayer games longer which means people keeping games longer and people have more people to play with.

While achievements aren't important to other people as they are to me, that doesn't make them any less important overall.  Games are still fine without them but with them they're even better.

Ahp ahp ahp ahp!

I hate false dichotomies. I never claimed that cheevos are a throwaway feature, just that they are not a key component to general sales trends (and you're cripplingly unable to prove otherwise).

Your whole original point is that cheevos are a key feature. They aren't.

Now don't get me wrong, I like them - I'm apparently a lot more serious abotu cheevos in games I like than you are - but they are ont in the neighborhood of "key".