By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The DS family should be tracked seperately

Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:

PSP specs have various configurations depending on model with some having 32 MB of RAM, others having 64 GB of RAM, some having 32 MB, 64 MB or 16 GB of user and system RAM.   Different batteries, screen sizes, memory stick options, wireless options, bluetooth, etc...

And there are only 3 retail titles released playable only on the DSi.  I'd hardly call that a worthy criteria for categorizing it as a seperate platform from the base DS line up.

I checked that out, first version of psp was with 32mb ram. Later versions are all with 64mb ram.

From nintendo site, I see that there is 307 dsiware games. For you that might not be a "worthy criteria" but I think that is pretty significant.

Try looking again.  I said retail titles.

Yeah, because you decide that only retail titles count. There are 310 DSi titles that you can't play on DS, that is the fact.

But you said downloadable titles didn't count.  You want to bring that up then we need to look at the PSP again.  or even the X360.

No, I did not say that. :)

But let's look at 360. You can play those downloadable games on any 360, if you buy a 5£ memory stick. Can you do the same on DS? No? That's what I thought.

Around the Network
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:

But you said downloadable titles didn't count.  You want to bring that up then we need to look at the PSP again.  or even the X360.

But let's look at 360. You can play those downloadable games on any 360, if you buy a 5£ memory stick. Can you do the same on DS? No? That's what I thought.

But it requires the purchase of an external product.  And that still doesn't account for the PSP.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:

But it requires the purchase of an external product.  And that still doesn't account for the PSP.

Bu-bu-but... you still can do that on 360. You can't do that on DS.

I don't know about psp go-only games, maybe you can name  some?

Antabus said:
Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:

Actually, you can.  In Japan, the DS Camera accessory is used for the camera feature in those 3 retail DSi only titles.

As for PSP, you can look at it backwards.  PSP Go removes access to all UMD retail titles and is download only.  PSP 3000 has the added RAM to enable faster loading of UMD titles.  Not even the extra RAM in the DSi and DSi XL use the extra RAM for performance enhancements in retail games.

Point is you wish to separate the DS line into completely separate consoles while ignoring similar model situations among other consoles.  Go look at the Gameboy/Gameboy Color scenario for a few minutes.  Then come back to the DS.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:

1) Actually, you can.  In Japan, the DS Camera accessory is used for the camera feature in those 3 retail DSi only titles.

2) As for PSP, you can look at it backwards.  PSP Go removes access to all UMD retail titles and is download only.  PSP 3000 has the added RAM to enable faster loading of UMD titles.  Not even the extra RAM in the DSi and DSi XL use the extra RAM for performance enhancements in retail games.

3) Point is you wish to separate the DS line into completely separate consoles while ignoring similar model situations among other consoles.  Go look at the Gameboy/Gameboy Color scenario for a few minutes.  Then come back to the DS.

1) 3 retail titles vs 307 downloadable ones. Is there an addon which has the better processor and added ram so that all(*) of those 307 games would work on ds? What, no?

2) That is just a distribution thing, a game can become downloadable at any given time and it will work on psp go.

3) Only DSi. DS and DS lite are the same. I am not ignoring any similar situations, because I don't know any. I am not sure about GB/GBC but if GBC has a better processor, more ram and games that can't be run on GB then yeah, GB and GBC should not be counted as one.

(*) Or at least a reasonable amount, like 95% of them.

Around the Network

Antabus said:

FF XI is one game, ps2 phat/slim have same specs. It is just one game which needs a peripheral.

Not a peripheral, an expansion bay.  You can use any HDD with PS2, it's a system feature (that was removed), not an add on.

And FFXI wan't the only game that needed the HDD, there were other MMOs that required it (Minna no Golf online, Nobunga no Yabou Online, etc) and there were even DD games for it (Pop'n Taisen, Tetra Master, etc) as well as other applications like the Linux Kit.  It's pretty much exactly like DSi/Ware games/apps that need the flash drive and as such can't run on a normal DS/Lite.

I disagree, but I also think your a bit uninformed.

3DS is a different console, it will be tracked differently from the DS.

However the DS Lite, and DSi are essentially remodeled DS consoles.

The only difference between the DS Lite and regular DS is size, my friend owns a DS lite, and I own the original, and thats all there is to it. It's no different from a 360 Slim or PS3 Slim

As for DSi, it's a DS Lite with some new features, like a Camera, and the ability to download DSi games. Since DSi games are DLC only, VGChartz doesn't track them, had they, sales would be tracked as DSi games. The main purpose of the console is to play DS games though, and essentially it's still a DS Lite, just with a camera. This is no differnet then the 360 bundled with Kinect, and we still track those 360's as regular 360's.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

3DS is a different console and will be seperated from DS, But for DSI, Lite, DS, & XLDSI they are counted together because they should be they are the same console & the changes are few , It happened to PS2 also U can not count them seperatley.

Antabus said:
Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:

1) Actually, you can.  In Japan, the DS Camera accessory is used for the camera feature in those 3 retail DSi only titles.

2) As for PSP, you can look at it backwards.  PSP Go removes access to all UMD retail titles and is download only.  PSP 3000 has the added RAM to enable faster loading of UMD titles.  Not even the extra RAM in the DSi and DSi XL use the extra RAM for performance enhancements in retail games.

3) Point is you wish to separate the DS line into completely separate consoles while ignoring similar model situations among other consoles.  Go look at the Gameboy/Gameboy Color scenario for a few minutes.  Then come back to the DS.

1) 3 retail titles vs 307 downloadable ones. Is there an addon which has the better processor and added ram so that all(*) of those 307 games would work on ds? What, no?

2) That is just a distribution thing, a game can become downloadable at any given time and it will work on psp go.

3) Only DSi. DS and DS lite are the same. I am not ignoring any similar situations, because I don't know any. I am not sure about GB/GBC but if GBC has a better processor, more ram and games that can't be run on GB then yeah, GB and GBC should not be counted as one.

(*) Or at least a reasonable amount, like 95% of them.

The 307 dsiware games are just a distribution thing. They just need to release them on a normal cart and they should work on a normal DS. I doubt that most of the dsiware games need the extra processor power and ram. At least the ones I played.

hentai_11 said:

The 307 dsiware games are just a distribution thing. They just need to release them on a normal cart and they should work on a normal DS. I doubt that most of the dsiware games need the extra processor power and ram. At least the ones I played.

That's true, and Art Academy is a good example of a DSiWare game (or games) being collected and rereleased at retail.

I'd like to see Nintendo maybe do the same for other titles... and Art Style Collection could be pretty cool, or collecting all Q-Games' stuff.