By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The DS family should be tracked seperately

Viper1 said:
Antabus said:

Yeah, I don't get why DS and DSi are counted as one. Isn't DSi with a better(twice?) processor and more(8 times?) ram?

How it is with wii and gamecube? Twice as powerful processor and twice as much ram?

The DS series has 2 CPU's.  The DSi and DSi XL have 1 of the CPU's clocked twice that of the same CPU on the DS and DS Lite.  But it's only accessible to DSiWare downloadable titles.  All retail titles reduce the clock rate back to the DS and DS Lite speed.

RAM is similar.  The DS and DS Lite have 4 MB's and the DSi and DSi XL have 16 MB's.  But the extra RAM is not accessible to retail titles.  Only the system operating system and DSiWare downloadable titles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DSi

There it says that DSi has 2 cpus? Where did you see that it has only one cpu?

So... If DS can't run all the DSi titles and DSi has 2 times better processor and 4 times more memory, why is it considered the same?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_DSiWare_games_and_applications

Around the Network

We might as well take this to its logical conclusion and seperate absolutely everything. So come on guys, lets get tracking the red Wii vs the black Wii vs the white Wii...

VGChartz

Antabus said:

Yeah, I don't get why DS and DSi are counted as one. Isn't DSi with a better(twice?) processor and more(8 times?) ram?

How it is with wii and gamecube? Twice as powerful processor and twice as much ram?

Actually the spec increases for GBC, DSi and Wii all are very comparable (about 50% higher clocked, about 3-4 times the main RAM).  The core difference is in the branding though... Nintendo considers Wii wholly distinct from GameCube and approached every aspect of the system that way.  For GBC and DSi however they consider them extensions to the already established GB and DS platforms, not new platforms in and of themselves.

What's best is probably just going by what the hardware maker considers, as pretty much everyone plays with clocks, revisions, etc, over the course of most successful platforms' lives.

Antabus said:
Viper1 said:
Antabus said:

The DS series has 2 CPU's.  The DSi and DSi XL have 1 of the CPU's clocked twice that of the same CPU on the DS and DS Lite.  But it's only accessible to DSiWare downloadable titles.  All retail titles reduce the clock rate back to the DS and DS Lite speed.

RAM is similar.  The DS and DS Lite have 4 MB's and the DSi and DSi XL have 16 MB's.  But the extra RAM is not accessible to retail titles.  Only the system operating system and DSiWare downloadable titles.

So... If DS can't run all the DSi titles and DSi has 2 times better processor and 4 times more memory, why is it considered the same?

He didn't say DSi only had one ARM chip, only that one one of them was upclocked.

You can't play FFXI on a PS2 slim.  You can't play Kingdom Hearts BBS on a PSP Go.  You can't play PS2 games on a PS3 slim.  Why are they all considered the same as their previous system releases?

jarrod said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:
Antabus said:

He didn't say DSi only had one ARM chip, only that one one of them was upclocked.

You can't play FFXI on a PS2 slim.  You can't play Kingdom Hearts BBS on a PSP Go.  You can't play PS2 games on a PS3 slim.  Why are they all considered the same as their previous system releases?

Okay, misread that part.

FF XI is one game, ps2 phat/slim have same specs. It is just one game which needs a peripheral.

I don't know what to think of PSP go. Does it have similar processing power/memory as PSP fat? I think the specs are the same. You are really clutching at straws on the KH game, it is just one game and you don't know if it will be available on PSN later. It is just about distribution channel, not distribution channel and hardware as it is with DSi.

PS2 and PS3 aren't considered to be the same console? In case you are referring to removed BC, does DSi play GBA games? Not that it matters. All PS3:s play all PS3 games in any case.

Around the Network

PSP specs have various configurations depending on model with some having 32 MB of RAM, others having 64 GB of RAM, some having 32 MB, 64 MB or 16 GB of user and system RAM.   Different batteries, screen sizes, memory stick options, wireless options, bluetooth, etc...

And there are only 3 retail titles released playable only on the DSi.  I'd hardly call that a worthy criteria for categorizing it as a seperate platform from the base DS line up.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:

PSP specs have various configurations depending on model with some having 32 MB of RAM, others having 64 GB of RAM, some having 32 MB, 64 MB or 16 GB of user and system RAM.   Different batteries, screen sizes, memory stick options, wireless options, bluetooth, etc...

And there are only 3 retail titles released playable only on the DSi.  I'd hardly call that a worthy criteria for categorizing it as a seperate platform from the base DS line up.

I checked that out, first version of psp was with 32mb ram. Later versions are all with 64mb ram.

From nintendo site, I see that there is 307 dsiware games. For you that might not be a "worthy criteria" but I think that is pretty significant.

Antabus said:
Viper1 said:

I checked that out, first version of psp was with 32mb ram. Later versions are all with 64mb ram.

From nintendo site, I see that there is 307 dsiware games. For you that might not be a "worthy criteria" but I think that is pretty significant.

Try looking again.  I said retail titles.

Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:

Yeah, because you decide that only retail titles count. There are 310 DSi titles that you can't play on DS, that is the fact.

Antabus said:
Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:

Yeah, because you decide that only retail titles count. There are 310 DSi titles that you can't play on DS, that is the fact.

But you said downloadable titles didn't count.  You want to bring that up then we need to look at the PSP again.  or even the X360.