By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The DS family should be tracked seperately

hentai_11 said:

The 307 dsiware games are just a distribution thing. They just need to release them on a normal cart and they should work on a normal DS. I doubt that most of the dsiware games need the extra processor power and ram. At least the ones I played.

Is that a fact or do you just think so? I know I know! You just think so!

Around the Network
jarrod said:

Antabus said:

FF XI is one game, ps2 phat/slim have same specs. It is just one game which needs a peripheral.

Not a peripheral, an expansion bay.  You can use any HDD with PS2, it's a system feature (that was removed), not an add on.

And FFXI wan't the only game that needed the HDD, there were other MMOs that required it (Minna no Golf online, Nobunga no Yabou Online, etc) and there were even DD games for it (Pop'n Taisen, Tetra Master, etc) as well as other applications like the Linux Kit.  It's pretty much exactly like DSi/Ware games/apps that need the flash drive and as such can't run on a normal DS/Lite.

So all ps2 fats have hdd:s or what? You have to buy an addon? Like the PS2 fat network adapter..?

Never heard of those games, but I'll take your word for it. Did any of those games you mentioned ever leave Japan? Not that it really matters, those are games which require an addon. Not a new console.

Antabus said:
hentai_11 said:

The 307 dsiware games are just a distribution thing. They just need to release them on a normal cart and they should work on a normal DS. I doubt that most of the dsiware games need the extra processor power and ram. At least the ones I played.

But you said...

Antabus said:

2) That is just a distribution thing, a game can become downloadable at any given time and it will work on psp go.

Hentai just said the same thing you said and now you want to call it false?

How about I end this debate now.  Nintendo says it, the media says it, the retailers say it, the consumers say it.  The DS series are all different models of the same console.  The 3DS is a new console.   If you wish to disagree with all 4 of that groups, you need to come up with more compelling reasoning than you've already brought AND do the same for ALL other consoles in the same circumstance to provide weight to your argument. 

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
hentai_11 said:

But you said...

Antabus said:

2) That is just a distribution thing, a game can become downloadable at any given time and it will work on psp go.

How about I end this debate now.  Nintendo says it, the media says it, the retailers say it, the consumers say it.  The DS series are all different models of the same console.  The 3DS is a new console.   If you wish to disagree with all 4 of that groups, you need to come up with more compelling reasoning than you've already brought AND do the same for ALL other consoles in the same circumstance to provide weight to your argument. 

He does not know how many those games use the improved hardware.

Feel free to end the debate from your part, I have seen your opinions and I disagree with you.

Antabus said:
jarrod said:

Antabus said:

FF XI is one game, ps2 phat/slim have same specs. It is just one game which needs a peripheral.

Not a peripheral, an expansion bay.  You can use any HDD with PS2, it's a system feature (that was removed), not an add on.

And FFXI wan't the only game that needed the HDD, there were other MMOs that required it (Minna no Golf online, Nobunga no Yabou Online, etc) and there were even DD games for it (Pop'n Taisen, Tetra Master, etc) as well as other applications like the Linux Kit.  It's pretty much exactly like DSi/Ware games/apps that need the flash drive and as such can't run on a normal DS/Lite.

So all ps2 fats have hdd:s or what? You have to buy an addon? Like the PS2 fat network adapter..?

Never heard of those games, but I'll take your word for it. Did any of those games you mentioned ever leave Japan? Not that it really matters, those are games which require an addon. Not a new console.

Yes, they were JP only, except I think Tetra Master (and maybe some other PlayOnline DD games) came to America.

Not all PS2 fats have HDDs, but they all have expansion bays.  You don't have to buy an actual PS2 peripheral to use it.  

DSi/Ware hasn't been hacked yet, but it's been speculated by the community that once they are, they'll be fully playable on a stock DS/Lite.  Art Academy sort of implies that's probably the case (it doesn't use upclocked speeds or additional RAM), the only problematic games would be those that rely on the camera (WarioWare Snapped, Looksley's Lineup, etc) and even those might be able to be hacked to work with the Face Training camera.  So really... with a peripheral (or a least a more specific DS only peripheral, unlike sticking any old HDD in a PS2), you'd be able to play DSi games on a DS.  This isn't the case for Wii/GC, you'll never be able to play Metroid Prime III or Mario Galaxy on a GameCube, no matter how much hacking goes into the effort.

Around the Network
Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
hentai_11 said:

But you said...

Antabus said:

Clearly a double standard is in place for PSP and DS...

Pretty much.  Nothing is going to change the fact the DSPhat, DSLite, DSi, and DSiXL are considered the same line.  Antabus is clearly trying to special rules to the DS line that neither the PS2 or PSP are inclined to follow.

mai said:

What hardware updates DS Lite got over original one?

And if you want to be that picky, PS2 actualy had quite a lot models rather than just original and slim, which differ slightly in hardware and firmware. That's would be a few dozens of PS2 models. So, please, define what changes in hardware and firmware are big enough to consider it a 'new' model.

When SW written for the new version can't run on the old one?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

jarrod said:

Not all PS2 fats have HDDs, but they all have expansion bays.  You don't have to buy an actual PS2 peripheral to use it.  

Yes, you need a peripheral called the network adapter.

For the rest of your post, the keyword is speculation.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
mai said:

What hardware updates DS Lite got over original one?

And if you want to be that picky, PS2 actualy had quite a lot models rather than just original and slim, which differ slightly in hardware and firmware. That's would be a few dozens of PS2 models. So, please, define what changes in hardware and firmware are big enough to consider it a 'new' model.

When SW written for the new version can't run on the old one?

No, it seems that is not a valid definition. Just check some replies on this thread!

That doesn't make it a whole new console line.   That makes it a model of the same line with certain exclusive softwares.

And what distinction do you make between some software, 1 piece of software, a lot of software in determining your definition of what should or should not be a new console line?  You've been shown that there are similar circumstances with several consoles of which some have a few titles while others have several titles yet you continually ignore them and only focus on the DS. 

It's simple.  If you accept the DSi and DSi XL as a separate console from the DS and DS Lite, then you must by your own logic accept the same for models of the Gameboy, PS, PS2, N64, PSP and X360.

The rEVOLution is not being televised