By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The DS family should be tracked seperately

Viper1 said:
Antabus said:
Viper1 said:

Actually, that's yours since you are the one stipulating the criteria for the DS.  If not, then please tell me how those consoles do not meet the same requirements. 

You said that you would stop arguing, I don't see that happening... but:

GB/GBC should be separated, they are different machines.

I have no idea why you mentioned PS1.

PS2 had only couple of japanese games which required a peripheral to run those games. Peripheral =/= feature. Removed peripheral support =/= new console.

N64, no idea why you mentioned it.

PSP has only one game that you can't play on the newer model. DSiware has 307 games which you can't play with the older model.

All 360 games can be played with every 360. You might need to buy a peripheral to do that.

So again, as I already asked, what distinction do you draw?  1 game or 307 games (which incidently you state distribution models don't count earlier for PSP)?  As for the 2 you don't understand why I listed, look below.

PS1 - Net Yaroze. Model SCPH-5552 could play Video CD's (some Japanese games made on it) while none of the other 34 models and revisions could.  The DTL-H model series.

N64 - iQue.

On PSP:s case, I believe that the game can be played on the hardware. It is a distribution thing only. That is most likely not the case with DSiware/DS.

PS1 - Was the other specs the same?

N64 ??

Around the Network
Antabus said:
jarrod said:

At the end of the day, it really should all go back to what the hardware maker says.  Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft all tell us what they consider each "platform" and what hardware exactly falls under each, that dictates what they do with these platforms and really should itself be good enough.

So you think that Kinect is a new platform? :P

Just as much as I'd consider PocketStation, FDS or 32-X a new platform. ;)

Antabus said:On PSP:s case, I believe that the game can be played on the hardware. It is a distribution thing only. That is most likely not the case with DSiware/DS.

It's exactly the same.  The only reason you can't play DSiWare games on a DS/Lite is because it has no flash drive and can't connect to the DSi Shop.  Again, Art Academy, a collection of DSiWare games, was released at retail and runs fine as is on every DS model with no changes in content (besides the number of images you can save, a feature with used the flash and SD support in the DSiWare versions for literally limitless saves).

jarrod said:
Antabus said:

PS2 had only couple of japanese games which required a peripheral to run those games. Peripheral =/= feature. Removed peripheral support =/= new console.

There are other incompatibility issues with PS2 models due to hardware revisions.

HDD bay = feature =/= peripheral

Removed game support = new console?

There is no such thing as HDD bay. There is that thing called expansion bay. That is where you can install a peripheral called network adapter (which you have to buy), where you can install a peripheral called PS2 HDD, which you also have to buy.

I think you needed the official sony hdd with install disk to play FF XI.

jarrod said:
Antabus said:On PSP:s case, I believe that the game can be played on the hardware. It is a distribution thing only. That is most likely not the case with DSiware/DS.

It's exactly the same.  The only reason you can't play DSiWare games on a DS/Lite is because it has no flash drive and can't connect to the DSi Shop.  Again, Art Academy, a collection of DSiWare games, was released at retail and runs fine as is on every DS model with no changes in content (besides the number of images you can save, a feature with used the flash and SD support in the DSiWare versions for literally limitless saves).

You say that like it is a fact. I am waiting for you to prove your statement, game by game.

Around the Network

All DSiWare titles use the same processor speed and RAM settings as the retail titles.  The extra access they do gain is the camera and DS card slot.  There is no processing gain accessed by the enhanced hardware itself.  The extra RAM and processing speed are utilized in the system OS and system software only.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

Antabus said:

I think you needed the official sony hdd with install disk to play FF XI.

Originally yes, but that's only because some data was preloaded on the HDD.  I think the later "All-in-One" reissues with every expansion disc allowed play from any HDD.

Antabus said:
jarrod said:

You say that like it is a fact. I am waiting for you to prove your statement, game by game.

The only indication we have is Art Academy, which uh... runs fine on any DS.  I am waiting for you to prove any DSi game uses extra processing power or memory, since you're the one crusading for a separation here based on spec.

Viper1 said:

All DSiWare titles use the same processor speed and RAM settings as the retail titles.  The extra access they do gain is the camera and DS card slot.  There is no processing gain accessed by the enhanced hardware itself.  The extra RAM and processing speed are utilized in the system OS and system software only.

Is that a fact?

jarrod said:
Antabus said:
jarrod said:

The only indication we have is Art Academy, which uh... runs fine on any DS.  I am waiting for you to prove any DSi game uses extra processing power or memory, since you're the one crusading for a separation here based on spec.

Excuse me, but the burden of proof lies with you. I was the one who said that you can't play DSiware games on DS (fact), you claimed that you could play them if they were put on carts.