By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The DS family should be tracked seperately

Is this a serious topic? Consoles are grouped in terms of their hardware and their games.. DS, DS Lite, and DSi ALL have nearly the exact same hardware "guts," and all play the same exact games. Thus they are one in the same.. If you're going to make such a strange argument at least be consistant with it, as the PSP is just as varied as re-released as the DS is, if not more so, yet I see no mention of it...

3DS is the next generation of the DS line. It's an entirely new console with new hardware and should be counted separately.

Sure there are people who own multiple DS systems, but the same is true for many consoles, particularly the PS2 and Xbox 360, which has had endless hardware revisions, models, and bundles. In fact, I know more examples of people who have bought more of the latter than people owning multiple DS's.

Around the Network
superchunk said:

So what you are really arguing for is that the Wii should be the undisputed sales leader of any gaming console in all of history?

If excluding people buying multiple consoles/rebuying as the topic creator wants, yep it seems so :)

I would say a reason this is wrong, partly, is you look to see what software a system plays.  You MIGHT be able to make a case for DSi being tracked separately from the regular DS, because it has its own software.  However,  a simple revamp like going from Phat to Slim with the DS doesn't count.

This being said, I believe the 3DS should be tracked separately.  DSi is iffy because the sales of its specific software are downloadable and not over shelves.

Hey, lets track all PSP, PS2, PS1 and PS3 iterations separately as well!!!!

Then probably the Wii is the best selling console of all time.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Antabus said:

Yeah, I don't get why DS and DSi are counted as one. Isn't DSi with a better(twice?) processor and more(8 times?) ram?

How it is with wii and gamecube? Twice as powerful processor and twice as much ram?

While this is true, those extra ram and processor power is practically only used by DSiWare (I think, I don't own DS or DSi so I'm not sure but that's how it seems). All retail games works exactly same on DS and DSi. And wouldn't that also mean PSP1000 should be separated from PSP2000, PSP3000 and PSPGo because newer models of PSP have twice as much RAM? 

Around the Network
Kenology said:

I suspect it's to put Monster Hunter Portable series above Pokemon.

NSMB would still be #1 anyways.

That would be true, if I owned a PSP, or any Monster Hunter game. Or even WANTED to own a PSP, for any Monster Hunter game.

Not everything is about some stupid little console war. Get a grip.

Other trackers do it. It would be interesting to see which versions the public want/like more.

RolStoppable said:
Carl2291 said:

I don't think we should really do that, although it would be interesting to see which models are selling the most.

What we SHOULD campaign for, is getting Pokemon games seperated.

Why would you do that? It would only give Nintendo more entries in the list of bestselling games of all time. Sure, some of the games you prefer would move up a slot or two, but on the flipside the vast majority of your favorites would move down several ranks, so the net gain would be negative.

I don't really care about games being above it or below it. I just want to see which versions sell the most. 

Antabus said:

Yeah, I don't get why DS and DSi are counted as one. Isn't DSi with a better(twice?) processor and more(8 times?) ram?

How it is with wii and gamecube? Twice as powerful processor and twice as much ram?

The DS series has 2 CPU's.  The DSi and DSi XL have 1 of the CPU's clocked twice that of the same CPU on the DS and DS Lite.  But it's only accessible to DSiWare downloadable titles.  All retail titles reduce the clock rate back to the DS and DS Lite speed.

RAM is similar.  The DS and DS Lite have 4 MB's and the DSi and DSi XL have 16 MB's.  But the extra RAM is not accessible to retail titles.  Only the system operating system and DSiWare downloadable titles.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

RolStoppable said:
Carl2291 said:

I don't really care about games being above it or below it. I just want to see which versions sell the most.

As you said, other trackers count them separately already, so if VGC would do the same you wouldn't get to know anything new. For example, Pokémon Diamond beat Pearl and Soul Silver outsold Heart Gold. Essentially, you should have no reason to complain.

Not really, with NPD for example we rarely ever get lifetime totals or 10 Week totals or whatever.

And I like VGC as a tracker more than the others! I think it would just be cool even if we just had an option to see the seperated sales. Same could happen for the DS really. Not seperate them on the main page, but have an option to see how DSi/DSiXL/DS Lite all do seperately.

Funnyly, I haven't seen a single post from the creator after the original post.