By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PlayStation Move is doing phenomenally - EEDAR Analyst

I would have done better with some better software, although I don't care much for it.

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
thismeintiel said:

So, in your words and using reverse logic, if Kinect just becomes an added feature (say to navigate menus or simple control within a game) in most of the games that use it within the next year or so, we won't be able to decide if it's a success or not, regardless of sales?  Hmm.  I'll keep that in mind.

no... you can go further... if that happens you can say it ISNT a success regardless of sales.

But it isnt going to happen...

So the Move could go on and outsell Kinect in a year or 2, selling over 20 mil units WW, and it wouldn't be a success because 51% of the games for it use the Move and the DS3?  Wow, that's some crazy standards.

And you hope it won't happen to Kinect.  Only the future will tell.

I wish you guys would get over the marketing budget like the others do not have a budget. I am pretty sure we have gone over how this is long term and is actually similar to the sort of budget Nintendo put out.

W.L.B.B. Member, Portsmouth Branch.

(Welsh(Folk) Living Beyond Borders)

Winner of the 2010 VGC Holiday sales prediction thread with an Average 1.6% accuracy rating. I am indeed awesome.

Kinect as seen by PS3 owners ...if you can pick at it   ...post it ... Did I mention the 360 was black and Shinny? Keeping Sigs obscure since 2007, Passed by the Sig police 5July10.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect#Launch

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/microsoft_move_3gVmAyryJuD6px1dV7LeDP?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

http://123kinect.com/microsoft-spend-kinect-marketing/

It's likely some of the ad campaigns funded with those $500million are still running, but according to most articles written about it and based on MS itself's statements, that budget is for launch and will be spent in a quite short term, although it should be longer than just till Xmas.

And it's totally clear that this budget adds up with the usual Xmas 360 marketing, it's clearly stated that those $500million are for Kinect launch, not for anything else.

About Wii, its huge marketing effort this Xmas is evident, it did almost the same numbers than the previous one, despite lower results through the rest of 2010 compared to 2009.

But it's also evident that Sony did a smaller marketing effort than its competitors. And despite this, its Xmas 2010 was overall slightly better than Xmas 2009 anyway, although it had smaller weekly peaks. Having good results despite keeping a lower profile than competitors is surely a good sign.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinect#Launch

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/microsoft_move_3gVmAyryJuD6px1dV7LeDP?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=

http://123kinect.com/microsoft-spend-kinect-marketing/

It's likely some of the ad campaigns funded with those $500million are still running, but according to most articles written about it and based on MS itself's statements, that budget is for launch and will be spent in a quite short term, although it should be longer than just till Xmas.

And it's totally clear that this budget adds up with the usual Xmas 360 marketing, it's clearly stated that those $500million are for Kinect launch, not for anything else.

About Wii, its huge marketing effort this Xmas is evident, it did almost the same numbers than the previous one, despite lower results through the rest of 2010 compared to 2009.

But it's also evident that Sony did a smaller marketing effort than its competitors. And despite this, its Xmas 2010 was overall slightly better than Xmas 2009 anyway, although it had smaller weekly peaks. Having good results despite keeping a lower profile than competitors is surely a good sign.

$500 million could have been invested into hardcore Kinect games.  Oh, well..

Around the Network

Im actually quite pleased with move so far.... I didnt expect it to sell a crapload.... Theres not many games for it.... The only 2 i like is The fight lights out and sports champions.... Heavy rain was a good add on.... I think move will do very good next year

On a side note though i dont care what anyone says, haters and all but Kinect is the next big thing... it will continue to sell amazingly... Just waite and see

I think the point Kowenicki was making was this:

Move: Sells accessories but mostly relates to the same games that can be played on DS3. People with Move aren't buying more software that they wouldn't have otherwise purchased, for the most part.

Kinect: Sells accessories but also sells completely new software which adds to the overall revenue per Xbox 360 and increases the number of games bought measureably.

Tease.

Squilliam said:

Move: Sells accessories but mostly relates to the same games that can be played on DS3. People with Move aren't buying more software that they wouldn't have otherwise purchased, for the most part.

Kinect: Sells accessories but also sells completely new software which adds to the overall revenue per Xbox 360 and increases the number of games bought measureably.

Regardless of what one does for their respective systems, to actually try and find a way to argue that Move is a failure is extremely bias.  The Move cannot be called a failure just because it's so easy to implement into games that can be controlled with the DS3.  And as long as Sony keeps making money off of the controller, and developers see some boosts in their sales because they implement it into their game, it will be viewed as a success.

And honestly, as soon as people get tired of the limited forms of gameplay that standalone Kinect games currently allow, I think we're going to see it being implemented into normal games, as well.  And if this begins to happen, are you going to feel the same way about Kinect?  I doubt it.

thismeintiel said:
Squilliam said:

Regardless of what one does for their respective systems, to actually try and find a way to argue that Move is a failure is extremely bias.  The Move cannot be called a failure just because it's so easy to implement into games that can be controlled with the DS3.  And as long as Sony keeps making money off of the controller, and developers see some boosts in their sales because they implement it into their game, it will be viewed as a success.

And honestly, as soon as people get tired of the limited forms of gameplay that standalone Kinect games currently allow, I think we're going to see it being implemented into normal games, as well.  And if this begins to happen, are you going to feel the same way about Kinect?  I doubt it.

What the hell are you on about?

Tease.

nightsurge said:
snowdog said:

It's no surprise that it's done well. Given the difficulty finding Move controllers both on shop shelves and online it's pretty obvious that it's selling really well and has exceeded Sony's expectations. And on a side note, anyone that has Move MUST buy a second controller and buy The Fight Lights Out. It's the best Move title out there so far and with 120 opponents to beat to complete the single player game, splitscreen multiplayer and online multiplayer it has to be the most robust and best value for money Move title available. BUY IT NAO!!!

I don't see what Sony's deal is.  The Bundles are always in stock (Move Starter Pack and PS3 Move bundles), as well as the navi controller.  It seems for whatever reason they can't produce the Move standalone controller very efficiently.

While I'm hardly scouring retail outlets in an attempt to prove a point or look for video game related product, my own personal experiences in regards to Move have been the same. I've seen standalone Move controllers in stock ONE time since launch.

Obviously there are a lot of users who want to add multiple controllers. I can only guess that SCE is choosing to focus on getting as many controllers into the hands of new users as possible now and worry about letting current users add more controllers over time.

Regardless, it doesn't support the notion that "half" or even more of the current Move user base has multiple controllers which is used to suggest that the installed user base is half or less than half of the current reported overall sales.