By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PlayStation Move is doing phenomenally - EEDAR Analyst

kowenicki said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

While Kinect has "surpassed even the most bullish estimates" as analysts enthuse about motion revolution

With the new breed of motion control filling the stop-gap left by where we would once expect a new console cycle, analysts have expressed their delight at the festive performance of both PlayStation Move and Xbox 360 Kinect.

"Among all the analysts, I was the most bullish, forecasting five to six million in sell through by the end of the year," EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich told Eurogamer.

"While Microsoft announced 8m in 'ship-in', it would imply at least 6.5m units, surpassing even the most bullish of estimates."

But to mistake Kinect's huge success for some sort of failure on Move's behalf is foolish, Divnich adds.

"The PlayStation Move is doing phenomenally and certainly Sony should not be disappointed by their holiday results," he added.

Advertisement

"Yes, in comparison, the Kinect did outsell the Move, but that shouldn't discount the tremendous success the Move has had over the holidays. Selling in over four million of anything in this sector is an incredible accomplishment, even if a competitor sells more."

"Even without the official December figures in, I have no doubt in concluding that both the Kinect and Move saved the holiday season from what would have been a disastrous situation of negative dollar comparisons. If Nintendo 'saved' us in 2008 and 2009, Microsoft and Sony returned that favour in 2010," he concluded."

Source

I think this is a concept that get's missed around these forums a lot. Just because the competition does better doesn't mean the other isn't doing well, tho some would try to imply so for silly bragging rights

Yeah beacuse the opposite number are way above that arent they?

Anyway.... I dont know how to gauge MOVE success any more.  It may be selling very well, but as long as its just an alternative control system then it is never going to drive major revenue beyond the peripheral itself.  Its actually becoming a rather pointless comparison

huh? :S

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
M.U.G.E.N said:

While Kinect has "surpassed even the most bullish estimates" as analysts enthuse about motion revolution

With the new breed of motion control filling the stop-gap left by where we would once expect a new console cycle, analysts have expressed their delight at the festive performance of both PlayStation Move and Xbox 360 Kinect.

"Among all the analysts, I was the most bullish, forecasting five to six million in sell through by the end of the year," EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich told Eurogamer.

"While Microsoft announced 8m in 'ship-in', it would imply at least 6.5m units, surpassing even the most bullish of estimates."

But to mistake Kinect's huge success for some sort of failure on Move's behalf is foolish, Divnich adds.

"The PlayStation Move is doing phenomenally and certainly Sony should not be disappointed by their holiday results," he added.

Advertisement

"Yes, in comparison, the Kinect did outsell the Move, but that shouldn't discount the tremendous success the Move has had over the holidays. Selling in over four million of anything in this sector is an incredible accomplishment, even if a competitor sells more."

"Even without the official December figures in, I have no doubt in concluding that both the Kinect and Move saved the holiday season from what would have been a disastrous situation of negative dollar comparisons. If Nintendo 'saved' us in 2008 and 2009, Microsoft and Sony returned that favour in 2010," he concluded."

Source

I think this is a concept that get's missed around these forums a lot. Just because the competition does better doesn't mean the other isn't doing well, tho some would try to imply so for silly bragging rights

Anyway.... I dont know how to gauge MOVE success any more.  It may be selling very well, but as long as its just an alternative control system then it is never going to drive major revenue beyond the peripheral itself.  Its actually becoming a rather pointless comparison

feelin a little bored today???

i thought kinect was meant to be all that, but yet here you are hating away, i guess kinect can't be all that after all... forgive the pun sales !=quality

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

kowenicki said:

That's been the pattern this entire holiday season - judge Move and PS3 by it's own merit, don't EVER compare them to the competition.

Did you see the OP's disclaimer?  Did you see the heavy emphasis on PS3 YoY numbers in sales threads?

Just sayin'...

And now pointing this out makes you a hater apparently...

Darth Tigris said:

Sony had a press conference at CES BEFORE Microsoft's.  They had a perfect opportunity to tout the sales numbers of Move for the holidays.

They did not.

To be completely honest, as has been discussed, the difficulty of establishing how many Move enabled households they're are out there tempers any announcement that they could make.  But to give a number of 4.1 million shipped in late November as a response to Kinect's initial numbers and not give an update at an event as big as CES is ... I'm sorry, it just doesn't paint a very confident picture whether its accurate or not (see MS being coy about WP7 sales for example).

The reality is that this product has been out since September and, after months of mocking Wii and Kinect in PR quotes and advertisements, was likely unable to put up sales numbers that compare.

Thus the silence from Sony.

You know, Sony was rather vocal about hardware and software which is what really counts to gamers and consumers.  But if it's any consellation according to vgchartz, the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 for 2010.  Good stuff for Sony who doesn't have the financial muscle such as Microsoft, huh?

LivingMetal said:
Darth Tigris said:

Sony had a press conference at CES BEFORE Microsoft's.  They had a perfect opportunity to tout the sales numbers of Move for the holidays.

They did not.

To be completely honest, as has been discussed, the difficulty of establishing how many Move enabled households they're are out there tempers any announcement that they could make.  But to give a number of 4.1 million shipped in late November as a response to Kinect's initial numbers and not give an update at an event as big as CES is ... I'm sorry, it just doesn't paint a very confident picture whether its accurate or not (see MS being coy about WP7 sales for example).

The reality is that this product has been out since September and, after months of mocking Wii and Kinect in PR quotes and advertisements, was likely unable to put up sales numbers that compare.

You know, Sony was rather vocal about hardware and software which is what really counts to gamers and consumers.  But if it's any consellation according to vgchartz, the PS3 outsold the Xbox 360 for 2010.  Good stuff for Sony who doean't have the finacial muscle such as Microsoft, huh?

Lol, I'm a Sony fan and I still didn't know PS3 outsold the 360 in 2010.  Damn, considering Kinect came out and was successful, as well as the new Slim models, that's a pretty big feat.  Congrats, Sony.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:

Move succeeded because it's more mature than the Wii and therefore it isn't embarrassing to play it when friends come over.

Software wise yes, but you have to admit, the thing looks like a glowing dildo. I bought it, not ashamed, but yeah :D

"Trick shot? The trick is NOT to get shot." - Lucian

Areym said:
RolStoppable said:

Move succeeded because it's more mature than the Wii and therefore it isn't embarrassing to play it when friends come over.

Software wise yes, but you have to admit, the thing looks like a glowing dildo. I bought it, not ashamed, but yeah :D

Maybe, maybe not.  But I did "come across" this pic of a girl shoving a WiiMote up her...  Nevermind.

Yeah, it's great the Move is doing well. It'll ensure dev support.

I can't wait for the next game from Quantic Dream.

XxXProphecyXxX said:
Darth Tigris said:

They did not.

ROFL!!!!!! then after sony comes out with numbers yous cry "teh over shipps!!" GTFO seriously.

theres always a negative explanation from you guys.

sony doesn't release numbers = their scared.

sony release number = teh stuffing channel.

"You guys"?  If you're trying to group me with Sony/PS3 haters, you're all mixed up.  I'm just hi-lighting what Sony (and MS with WP7) is actually saying quite loudly with their silence.  None of that others stuff applies at all to what I said.  You want to go jump on the haters, go right ahead.  Nothing to see here.

Kinect hugely successful, Move surviving decently, Balance Board horribly down where Ninty didn't give up selling it as full-price optional and start bundling it... This is cruelty on endangered species! Thanks to all this filth, now, like a second-choice Cthulhu, Malstrom awaits sleeping in his basement, dreaming of the stars to be right again, Kinect to horribly plummet, Sony to file for bankrupcy and Wii to come back to overwhelmig and tyrannic domination and mangle the infidels clipping their limbs and heads off with a giant toothed VS!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!