By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PlayStation Move is doing phenomenally - EEDAR Analyst

While Kinect has "surpassed even the most bullish estimates" as analysts enthuse about motion revolution

With the new breed of motion control filling the stop-gap left by where we would once expect a new console cycle, analysts have expressed their delight at the festive performance of both PlayStation Move and Xbox 360 Kinect.

"Among all the analysts, I was the most bullish, forecasting five to six million in sell through by the end of the year," EEDAR analyst Jesse Divnich told Eurogamer.

"While Microsoft announced 8m in 'ship-in', it would imply at least 6.5m units, surpassing even the most bullish of estimates."

But to mistake Kinect's huge success for some sort of failure on Move's behalf is foolish, Divnich adds.

"The PlayStation Move is doing phenomenally and certainly Sony should not be disappointed by their holiday results," he added.

Advertisement

"Yes, in comparison, the Kinect did outsell the Move, but that shouldn't discount the tremendous success the Move has had over the holidays. Selling in over four million of anything in this sector is an incredible accomplishment, even if a competitor sells more."

"Even without the official December figures in, I have no doubt in concluding that both the Kinect and Move saved the holiday season from what would have been a disastrous situation of negative dollar comparisons. If Nintendo 'saved' us in 2008 and 2009, Microsoft and Sony returned that favour in 2010," he concluded."

Source

I think this is a concept that get's missed around these forums a lot. Just because the competition does better doesn't mean the other isn't doing well, tho some would try to imply so for silly bragging rights

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

Around the Network

I'd love to get a shipment update from sony. 

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

It's no surprise that it's done well. Given the difficulty finding Move controllers both on shop shelves and online it's pretty obvious that it's selling really well and has exceeded Sony's expectations. And on a side note, anyone that has Move MUST buy a second controller and buy The Fight Lights Out. It's the best Move title out there so far and with 120 opponents to beat to complete the single player game, splitscreen multiplayer and online multiplayer it has to be the most robust and best value for money Move title available. BUY IT NAO!!!

snowdog said:

It's no surprise that it's done well. Given the difficulty finding Move controllers both on shop shelves and online it's pretty obvious that it's selling really well and has exceeded Sony's expectations. And on a side note, anyone that has Move MUST buy a second controller and buy The Fight Lights Out. It's the best Move title out there so far and with 120 opponents to beat to complete the single player game, splitscreen multiplayer and online multiplayer it has to be the most robust and best value for money Move title available. BUY IT NAO!!!

This post brought to you buy The Fight: Lights Out (TM)

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

Difference is Kinect's 6-8m retail sales means 6-8m individual households, whereas 4-6?m Moves means probably 2-3m individual households when you consider multiplayer and most households would have probably bought two.

Now, I haven't checked and that 4m number above could be unique in the first place, but I think I remember it being total sales not, unique users. If I'm wrong then to me they are about that same.

Eitherway, I want to see this year's sales before I declare either being massive successes. I think looking at 360s 4million jump in YOY proves kinect and slim did something for its userbase, but PS3s far more meager 1.5m YOY increase really is just a result of the 1st half of the year still seeing the difference of the previous year's slim/price change and absolutely nothing to do with Move.

So with that in mind, Kinect might be the far bigger accomplishment here.

EDIT: for clarification PS3 xmas 2009 was statistically equal to 2010, further demonstrating Kinect's success for X360 vs Move's for Ps3.

Around the Network

Kinect also had a much larger budget for advertising then move, I think it's safe to say kinect had atleast a 10x bigger advertising budget then move, but it didn't get 10x the sales 

snowdog said:

I don't see what Sony's deal is.  The Bundles are always in stock (Move Starter Pack and PS3 Move bundles), as well as the navi controller.  It seems for whatever reason they can't produce the Move standalone controller very efficiently.

superchunk said:

Difference is Kinect's 6-8m retail sales means 6-8m individual households, whereas 4-6?m Moves means probably 2-3m individual households when you consider multiplayer and most households would have probably bought two.

Now, I haven't checked and that 4m number above could be unique in the first place, but I think I remember it being total sales not, unique users. If I'm wrong then to me they are about that same.

Eitherway, I want to see this year's sales before I declare either being massive successes. I think looking at 360s 4million jump in YOY proves kinect and slim did something for its userbase, but PS3s far more meager 1.5m YOY increase really is just a result of the 1st half of the year still seeing the difference of the previous year's slim/price change and absolutely nothing to do with Move.

So with that in mind, Kinect might be the far bigger accomplishment here.

In the short term I agree, in the long term I doubt it, and again don't forget about how much more MS put into advertising kinect then Sony did move, that in my opinion, makes the accomplishment far less impressive 

Good sony needs more money.

I have a Move and it's great... and a played Kinect and it's amazing.

Some games are better with Move: tennis, sword fights, baseball, FPS, etc... and others with Kinect: hand fights, dancing, etc.

Congrats Move and Sony...
Congrats Kinect and Microsoft...