By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What do you trust more... Sales or Reviews?

What do you trust more... Sales or Reviews?

Sales 66 30.70%

Reviews 149 69.30%

Total:215

gameplay videos.

if i had to chose of the two, reviews. demons souls is a perfect example, high reviews only 1m in sales. one of the best rpgs ever.

Around the Network
A203D said:
Chibi.V.29 said:

Lol forgot to give my opinion :P I trust reviews more than sales. All im going to say is bayonetta ;)

I agree with the Bayonetta comment, i havent played Mass Effect 2, but for me Bayonetta shouldve been game of the year. the only problem i feel is that reviewers tend to give higher scores to western developed games, and Japanese games recieve harsher criticisims. 

That would be why, then.

For me, it's definitely reviews. Plenty of terrible games have sold several million units, but it's very, very rare that a bad game gets good review scores. It's more common that a good game gets low scores, but again, far more common that a good game sells badly.

Neither is perfect, and a lot of it is subjective. Personally, I couldn't stand Bayonetta. It felt like a really over-sexualised version of Devil May Cry. I don't like DMC either. But most people like both, and they have high review scores, so it's fine.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Reviews, but without taking the scores into consideration.

May the adjustments be with you

I feel a disturbance in the sales

Neither really, but since you're asking what I trust more, I'd say reviews. They at least tell me what the game is about.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

BMaker11 said:
MightyGeorge said:
BMaker11 said:
MightyGeorge said:

Sales. Absolutely sales. Not even a second thought about that. All the legendary games became legendary not through amazing reviews but through sales. If a game you don't like sells amazingly well, it's time to reassess why you don't like it. If a game you like flops, it's time to reassess why you like it. Sales are facts. Reviews are opinions from so-called "experts". Unless by reviews you also mean customer reviews which I tend to trust them more than publications' reviews.

Wii Sports: greatest game of all time

Do you doubt it? Perhaps. Perhaps I doubt it too. Perhaps I also doubt Super Mario Bros, Tetris, Duck Hunt etc. Did everyone think of them highly when they were first released? I doubt it. We won't know what way will Wii Sports go. Not yet, at least. Perhaps in 10-15 years, we might have a better idea of Wii Sports.

And here is some extra food for thought. Highly regarded games get a LOT of clones. Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter II, Tetris, Grand Theft Auto and yes... Wii Sports.

Super Mario was a great platformer, Tetris was a great puzzle game, and Duck Hunt made great use of a light gun on consoles. Wii Fit = waggle

Your opinion. Doesn't change the fact that it has sold amazingly well  and has spawned countless imitators all trying but failing spectacularly to surpass it or even reach it. Oh, and that it keeps on selling even a year after its release. If a game was BAD, then it wouldn't keep on selling but word of mouth does wonders that marketing could never hope to do. And since a game stops being marketed after a while, you have to wonder how it keeps on selling for a long time without being marketed, right?

Oh, and people have lost weight with Wii Fit, so it's useful. Try searching for stories on the Internet.

"He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever. " So, go ahead and ask.
Around the Network

I generally dont trust either until I play said game, but reviews are the lesser evil. It at least gives you the common understanding of the quality of a title rather than the masses purchasing habits. Being that the masses don't generally play the most critically acclaimed titles. Name value counts more for them.

Scoobes said:
Squilliam said:
Scoobes said:

Sales are a horrible indicator of quality. As a general rule, people are stupid.

As a general rule people tend to know what they like better than people who complain about their purchases on the internet.

Don't think that's true, and they're still stupid :D

They're only smart when they buy Playstation even if its for the dumbest of reasons. Thats why Americans are dumb, Japanese people and Europeans are slightly redeemed by the fact that the PS3 is in 2nd place. Had the PS3 been in first place in America on the other hand there would have been dozens of threads on how the Europeans and Japanese are so dumb.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Scoobes said:
Squilliam said:
Scoobes said:

Sales are a horrible indicator of quality. As a general rule, people are stupid.

As a general rule people tend to know what they like better than people who complain about their purchases on the internet.

Don't think that's true, and they're still stupid :D

They're only smart when they buy Playstation even if its for the dumbest of reasons. Thats why Americans are dumb, Japanese people and Europeans are slightly redeemed by the fact that the PS3 is in 2nd place. Had the PS3 been in first place in America on the other hand there would have been dozens of threads on how the Europeans and Japanese are so dumb.

Lol. I don't discriminate. People are stupid in all regions :P Unless it's something you invest a lot of time in, your point of view or opinion is likely a stupid (uninformed) one.

Scoobes said:
Squilliam said:

Lol. I don't discriminate. People are stupid in all regions :P Unless it's something you invest a lot of time in, your point of view or opinion is likely a stupid (uninformed) one.

Its even stupider though to assume the choices people make are stupid. You're not going to win the Hawkings prize if you're going to go around calling people out for their choices and how they live their lives if that has no negative impact on others.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
Scoobes said:
Squilliam said:

Its even stupider though to assume the choices people make are stupid. You're not going to win the Hawkings prize if you're going to go around calling people out for their choices and how they live their lives if that has no negative impact on others.

Well, it's an exagerration, but the majority of people (mainstream) will not invest significant amounts of time in all aspects of their life. As you say, if it doesn't have a negative impact on their lives they won't invest as much time. We all make stupid decisions in different areas of our lives because we can't learn everything is what I'm getting at. For this reason, going by sales alone is not a good indicator of quality (especially for experienced gamers on this site who are likely more critical of faults).