By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why are people trying to downplay Kinect's success?

Why are people trying to downplay Kinect's success?

I am butthurt 62 30.10%

Great job, Microsoft 141 68.45%

Total:203

In the spirit of downplaying, anyone else notice Kinect seems to be a first party powerhouse but 3rd party wasteland sales wise?  All the big sellers (Kinect Sports, Dance Central, Kinectimals) are all published by Microsoft basically... it's even more lopsidedly 1st party than Wii launch was I think?

Will there be any acknowledgement of this in the industry or will "dominant 1st party" remain a Nintendo only phenomenon for pundits / detractors?

Around the Network
jarrod said:

In the spirit of downplaying, anyone else notice Kinect seems to be a first party powerhouse but 3rd party wasteland sales wise?  All the big sellers (Kinect Sports, Dance Central, Kinectimals) are all published by Microsoft basically... it's even more lopsidedly 1st party than Wii launch was I think?

Will there be any acknowledgement of this in the industry or will "dominant 1st party" remain a Nintendo only phenomenon for pundits / detractors?

Imo it's all down to "If a game is good, it will sell", the only 3rd party game that seems like a worthy investment is Dance Central so far, and it's reflecting in sales. What I don't understand is why the hell Kinectanimals is selling, it looks morbid, well to me personally anyway.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

jarrod said:

Dance Central is made by Harmonix......not first party.  Published by MS but not developed by them.

Also its the same situation as the Wii when 3rd parties develop compelling software it will sell but at the moment its mostly shovelware from the 3rd party stuff. The 1st party is whats mosty shining through at the moment.

Well, Kinect being successfull has seriously shaken my world view.

When I saw the lineup, I was 100% certain noone would buy it at it's price and it would end up unsuccessful.

I'm still waiting for a massive drop in sales.

I'm still sceptical of Kinect becasue when looking at the sales of previous failed addons (Sega CD and 32X) some things seem to be repeating themselves. 32X sold out for Sega but software sales were bad, and then after some time, hardware sales started to match software sales, and the system declined.

However, I think comparing it to the Mega CD is more revealing then the 32X. Mega CD had, like Kinect some games that sold really well on it, like one of the best platformers of all time, Sonic CD which sold 1.5M which is very impressive for its time. It was also first party dominated.

Mega CD also sold a total of 6 million hardware units, which with a Megadrive base of 29 million means that about every fifth Megadrive user had a Mega CD. So far, Kinect does not have that attach rate, but that might change.

Comparing Kinect to those old addons would probably be worth a thread of its own, but I'm ambivalent towards making one because I don't know if there would be any intelligent discussion in it. I would like to see what others would make out of comparing Kinect and maybe even Move to other old periphirals and addons. Does anyone think I should make one?

Anyways, Kinect being successful is hard to melt. But if software does go up, and it ends up as a healthy software ecosystem, I'll admit I was wrong.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Nothing personal, but it's our job as fanboys in the console wars.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
NotStan said:
jarrod said:

Imo it's all down to "If a game is good, it will sell", the only 3rd party game that seems like a worthy investment is Dance Central so far, and it's reflecting in sales. What I don't understand is why the hell Kinectanimals is selling, it looks morbid, well to me personally anyway.

Microsoft published and promoted Dance Central, it fits into the hypothetical "only 1st party sells" narrative.

The top 3rd party game (and only decent seller imo) seems to be YourShape, but it was advertised like CRAZY in America, plus Ubisoft had at twice as many breakout hits for Wii launch (Raving Rabbids and Red Steel).  

jarrod said:
NotStan said:
jarrod said:

Microsoft published and promoted Dance Central, it fits into the hypothetical "only 1st party sells" narrative.

The top 3rd party game (and only decent seller imo) seems to be YourShape, but it was advertised like CRAZY in America, plus Ubisoft had at twice as many breakout hits for Wii launch (Raving Rabbids and Red Steel).  

Oh I thought MTV games or w/e published Dance Central(I honestly didn't even know that MTV publishes game in the first place). Wasn't this developed by Harmonix or something, which is the developer for MTV games? Wasn't too sure if MS published dance central or not. Although I agree that they did push it hard in advertising, as most of the advertisements were regarding Dance Central Kinect combo.

NotStan said:
jarrod said:
NotStan said:
jarrod said:

Oh I thought MTV games or w/e published Dance Central(I honestly didn't even know that MTV publishes game in the first place). Wasn't this developed by Harmonix or something, which is the developer for MTV games? Wasn't too sure if MS published dance central or not. Although I agree that they did push it hard in advertising, as most of the advertisements were regarding Dance Central Kinect combo.

MTV Games doesn't have the infrastructure to self-publish.  They worked with EA Partners to publish Rock Band and Microsoft to publish Dance Central.  It's a bit like Marvelous working with XSEED to publish some of their games, or Level-5 working with Nintendo on the Layton games outside Japan.

jarrod said:
NotStan said:
jarrod said:
NotStan said:
jarrod said:

MTV Games doesn't have the infrastructure to self-publish.  They worked with EA Partners to publish Rock Band and Microsoft to publish Dance Central.  It's a bit like Marvelous working with XSEED to publish some of their games, or Level-5 working with Nintendo on the Layton games outside Japan.

Ah that makes sense, I wasn't too sure whether MTV would have the infrastructure to publish lol, was just surprised to see it say "MTV Games".

i havent really read much downplay

but things you got to consider is that its sales are not for kenict alone but include both HW bundles i believe outcome would be different had it not been bundled or more realistically just bundled with the 250gb that retails for $400

its kinda like with wii sports you dont really see many saying wow look how well that game is doing

Play Me