By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What problems have you had with any console since the Sega Saturn to presen

N64: year 1 unit - Since 2000 sometimes i need to blow on the cartridges to make it see them
GBC: year 1 unit -no problems
GBA: day 1 unit - no problems
GC: day 1 unit - no problems
GBA SP: day 1 unit - 1 dead pixel since D1, no big deal
NDS: Japanese D1 unit - no problems
NDS Lite: D1 Unit - 1 dead pixel and the d-pad has the infamous diagonal direction issue, both since D1
Wii: D1 unit - laser stopped working after 4 years, sent in for repairs, now works fine
DSi and DSi XL: not D1 units. i don't remember when i bought them, but maybe not even in their first year on the market. Both work fine
3DS: D1 unit. No problems

Become a fan of I Love Videogames on facebook! The most updated and fun italian videogame fanpage on facebook! click here!

Also visit I Love Videogames: a new and fresh italian videogaming site! click here!

Around the Network

Atari 2600 (Woody) - Many many years of service then game reset button stopped working.

SNES - Still works
N64 - No problems, Still works
PS2 - Bought a slim, still works
GameCube - No probs, Still works
Wii - No probs, Still works
Xbox 360 -RLOD after 18 months sent away and repaired under MS Warranty. Repaired console still works.
PS3 slim - Console hardware seems Ok. Has suffered multiple lock ups whilst playing games. Have put this down to shoddy coding.

PS1.. spindle hub broke down.. superglued it back on

PS2.. faulty discdrive.. bought a new one

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

PS1- disc reading failed but still worked when upside down, gave up and got a new one, new one still works...wherever it is.
PS2 - UK launch console never went wrong (until I gave it to my brother and after a few weeks of being in a dusty house being done up, it failed, that was 2007)
PS3 - blu-ray drive fail
PS3 - 3 blinking red lights (overheat)

Hmm, pie.

My foster families PSOne stopped playing disks as did the PS2 they got later.

The consoles I own have been fairly good to me  but

My 360 RROD, I had to send it to Microsoft to get it fixed.

My new 360 then froze all the time and went all pixely sometimes. I called Microsoft and they said that it was something software related. Though it happened on multiple games so I was a bit confused.

My new 360 RROD then fixed itself some how. It Red ringed and stopped working for a few days. I turned it on again the next week and it worked. Thats when I decided to buy the new Slim model, haven't had any trouble since buying the slim.

My Wii makes alot of noise, their must be something wrong with the fan or something. I have no clue, my remedy is to continue playing it. Man put in at least a hundred hours since it started buzzing. Still runs to this day.

My 3DS the 3D screens sides are scratching pretty bad. I do everything I can to keep them fine but their scratched to hell. I think in a year or two if they continue to get worse I'll just replace it. Or within the year warranty I will get the system fixed!

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Around the Network

SNES - no problems

Genesis - controllers ports would short out. Fixed by strapping the controllers plugs down with duct tape.

PS1 - Laser stopped reading discs and save files would always get corrupted. Had laser replaced and it still works to this day with no corruption errors.

PS2 - No problems

PS3 - 60 gig got YLOD. Did the reflow method to get it to work until I bought a slim. Slim works fine.

I am the Playstation Avenger.

My Game Boy Color got corrupted by a device called a Brain Boy, which was basically a hacking device for Pokemon Gold and Silver, such that no games would run in the GBC without the Brain Boy in place, and if i tried, all their save data would be erased

Wii lost its laser and now had its motherboard go bad on me, though me shipping it back and forth to college so many times can't have helped the motherboard

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

We'll start with the present and work our way back. Speaking only of hardware issues:

-Xbox 360 60gb: Had major trouble reading discs. Microsoft fixed it for free, though. Problems arose late last year but seem to have corrected themselves somehow.

-Xbox 360 20gb: Red Ring of Death. Also had a disc read problem. I decided to sell it and buy another 360.

-Nintendo DS Lite: The power just quit coming on. Maybe it was just a loose battery. I don't know. I haven't seen it in a couple of years. I usually take a damaged system and open it up to see what I can do. It disappeared before I ever took the time to work on it. I still count it whenever I tell people I have six DS's (three phats, two lites, and a DSi, though).

-Nintendo DS Phat: Three DS Phats, three broken hinges.

-Gamecube: Disc drive was dying. It only read the games half the time. I sold it to my co-worker for $50 and tricked him into thinking he broke it when he dropped it in the back seat of his car.

-PS2: First and second ones quit reading discs. Third one worked great. I gave it to my sister.

-PS1: First one, the spindle thingy in the middle where you place the disc fell the fuck off. What the fuck?

-PS1: Second one, it just lost its will to live. First, it had to stand on its side to play games. Later, I had to turn it totally upside down for it to play games. Then, it just quit reading games at all. It literally went "belly up".

-Nes: Had to blow in it to get games to work sometimes. It would probably still work if I didn't destroy it on purpose, one day. Boys will be boys.

My oldest console is a clear Gameboy that still works despite having some sort of liquid dried inside of it. I think it's soda. My Snes and N64 still work to this day, too. I guess, the more our system do, the easier they are to break.

Is it sad that I find it much more interesting that you specifically started with the Sega Saturn instead of consoles in general much more interesting than this thread?

All my old cart systems still work fine dating all the way back to the Atari 7800.

My GC got a disk read error just 6 months after I got it at launch, had to send it in for repairs and it took around 4 weeks till I got it back but its worked fine ever since.

Oh, and I got the obligatory RROD with my 360 lol.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.