By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3/Wii/360 Tie Ratios ("attach rates") from NPD

Kasz216 said:
What i can't figure out is that... compared to this.

"In terms of software tie ratio, as I touched on earlier, if you focus in simply on the month of November, while we sold almost a million units of hardware, we sold over 6 million units of software. So, just for the month that's over a 6 to 1 attach rate. Up to the month of November, life to date, we are at about a 6.4 attach rate. So certainly what this suggests is with a greater range of software titles, and with strong franchises coming out for the Wii, the consumer is buying more and more software and we expect that our attach rate will continue to increase over the life of the system."

Are they talking about shipped software? It can't be can it? If it was that would be a pretty crappy way to judge "attach rate" plus they use the 6 million units referenced in NPD this week. Is he counting Wii Sports as 5 games here? Or maybe including virtual console numbers? (Seems unlikely) Even if he was counting wii sports that would only increase the attach ratio by 1.

If you only take November into account, the Wii sold 1 Million Hardware, but 6 Million Software ( 1 Million alone on Galaxy). If every month stay that way til infinity the wii woud have an attache rate of 6. Since 6 is more than 3.8 (or whatever the current was) the attachrate of the Wii is growing.  :o)

Around the Network
Just_Ben said:
Kasz216 said:
What i can't figure out is that... compared to this.

"In terms of software tie ratio, as I touched on earlier, if you focus in simply on the month of November, while we sold almost a million units of hardware, we sold over 6 million units of software. So, just for the month that's over a 6 to 1 attach rate. Up to the month of November, life to date, we are at about a 6.4 attach rate. So certainly what this suggests is with a greater range of software titles, and with strong franchises coming out for the Wii, the consumer is buying more and more software and we expect that our attach rate will continue to increase over the life of the system."

Are they talking about shipped software? It can't be can it? If it was that would be a pretty crappy way to judge "attach rate" plus they use the 6 million units referenced in NPD this week. Is he counting Wii Sports as 5 games here? Or maybe including virtual console numbers? (Seems unlikely) Even if he was counting wii sports that would only increase the attach ratio by 1.

If you only take November into account, the Wii sold 1 Million Hardware, but 6 Million Software ( 1 Million alone on Galaxy). If every month stay that way til infinity the wii woud have an attache rate of 6. Since 6 is more than 3.8 (or whatever the current was) the attachrate of the Wii is growing. :o)

Yeah but he says "Up to the month of November, life to date, we are at about a 6.4 attach rate. ". That would seem to indicate, all the months up till november? Or does he just mean Both Novembers so far?

naznatips said:
sinha said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Can we remove all games EVER bundled with the 360/PS3 so they're not included too?

I mean, if we're removing Wii Sports it's only fair.

And why do you think all bundled games are not excluded already?

Do you have any information indicating that only Wii Sports is excluded and other bundled games are not?

Did they mention that they removed Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza Motorsports 2? Because I didn't see that mentioned anywhere....

Yeah , the 360 has lots of bundled titles , so its not fair .

On the other hand : wow , the PS3 is doing much batter in software region than I was expecting :o 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

wow 360 has a monstrous attach rate ,ps3's is good and so is wiis without wii sports,and a question is this for november only or from there launches for the US

naznatips said:
sinha said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Can we remove all games EVER bundled with the 360/PS3 so they're not included too?

I mean, if we're removing Wii Sports it's only fair.

And why do you think all bundled games are not excluded already?

Do you have any information indicating that only Wii Sports is excluded and other bundled games are not?

Did they mention that they removed Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza Motorsports 2? Because I didn't see that mentioned anywhere....

your right if they didnt remove those then 360'attach rate because alot lower

Around the Network

I've not noticed anybody pointing out that the average PS3 and 360 has been owned significantly longer than the average Wii, obviously the longer a system is owned the more games it will accumulate therefore it is not a fair comparison.

Hus said:

Grow up and stop trolling.

add to the wii ratio +1 for wii sport
X360 > wii

Biggerboat said:
I've not noticed anybody pointing out that the average PS3 and 360 has been owned significantly longer than the average Wii, obviously the longer a system is owned the more games it will accumulate therefore it is not a fair comparison.

Well with PS3 it's only been like a month. Which granted still matters... not much though. though actually when you compare the fact that the PS3 sold like gangbusters during the holidays when software sells it's highest... then died off really badly until around this holiday time. You do bring up a good point. It's not the PS3's extra month that does it... but ironically it's poor console sales during the "drought months".

At the end of the console war I believe the 360 will have the best attach rate as a lot of the games are similar in genre such as first person shooters and RPGs and so fans of a genre will buy many games from their favorite genre

Random side note, but did you know the last time Nintendo reported VC sales (October 10th) they had sold 7.8 million VC games. Assuming they are selling at a fairly equal rate over the last 2 months, they would be at over 9 million now.

Take this in comparison to Microsoft's last reported XBLA downloads which INCLUDED all free content at 35 million (reported 25 million in March. This is an estimate), and it's very likely that Nintendo has already SOLD more Virtual Console content than Microsoft has Xbox Live Arcade content. If they are selling old games at that rate, think of how huge Wii Ware will be....