By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3/Wii/360 Tie Ratios ("attach rates") from NPD

From NeoGAF (NPD through November):

PS3 4.01
Wii 3.86
(not including Wii Sports)
360 6.85

Overall hardware units were up 26% y/y counting current and next gen consoles and handheld sales. The PS3 was up 285% sequentially and 137% y/y and the tie ratio improved to 4.01 from last month's 3.82. The Wii increased 89% sequentially and 106% y/y, with a tie ratio of 3.86, not including the Wii Sports title bundled with the system. The Xbox 360 was up 51% y/y and up 110% sequentially, while maintaining a strong life-to-date tie ratio of 6.85. NDS sales rose 67% y/y, while PSP increased 38%.
I can tell you that PS2 is well over 13, Xbox well over 10, and Gamecube well over 8.

---

Some previous info:

Joystiq (NPD through September):

• Xbox 360: hardware to software ratio: 6.59 (hardware total sold = 6.8 million; software total sold = 44.8 million)
  • PlayStation 3: hardware to software ratio: 3.58 (hardware total sold = 1.9 million; software total sold = 6.8 million)
  • Wii: hardware to software ratio: 3.44 (hardware total sold = 4.5 million; software total sold = 15.5 million)

Removing [Wii Play] data from these ratios leaves the Wii hovering around 3 games sold per system.

---

July 07 Microsoft PR (NPD through June):

"Xbox 360 is the next-gen console with the largest games attach rate at an astounding 5.9 games sold per Xbox 360 owner."

---

Software based on hardware sales and tie ratios:

360: ~54 million

Wii: ~23.2 million

PS3: ~9.75 million

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

I expected nothing less.

mM

This is only america?

mM

Can we remove all games EVER bundled with the 360/PS3 so they're not included too?

I mean, if we're removing Wii Sports it's only fair.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Can we remove all games EVER bundled with the 360/PS3 so they're not included too?

And why do you think all bundled games are not excluded already?

Do you have any information indicating that only Wii Sports is excluded and other bundled games are not?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network
sinha said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Do you have any information indicating that only Wii Sports is excluded and other bundled games are not?

Did they mention that they removed Marvel Ultimate Alliance and Forza Motorsports 2? Because I didn't see that mentioned anywhere....

sinha said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Wii Sports is the only stated exclusion.

Since it is stated, there is a precedent set for stating exclusions.

We are forced to assume that it is the only exclusion since no others are stated.

It's called the Law of Exceptions or some such.

For example, if you run into a sign on the street that says no parking after 10:00 p.m., you can assume that there is parking before 10:00 p.m. because there is a stated exception from a rule.

Do you see Forza 2 and Marvel Ultimate Alliance taking up two of the top 10 spots on the NPD numbers every month? Because I have not noticed that. You don't think the 360's tie ratio would have increased by more than .26 in the last two months if two games bundled with almost every 360 console were being counted?

They are not mentioned because this sonycowboy fellow just happened to write "(not including Wii Sports)" next to the Wii numbers, because obviously when people see tie ratios the first question they ask is if the Wii numbers include Wii Sports. But if you want to assume anything else based on what some guy wrote, that's your prerogative.

Also, those are radically different PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube attach rates than I have heard in the past.

What the Wii's 3.86 tie ratio DOES include is Wii Play.