By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Looks like Kinect's performance has made haters silent!

spaceguy said:
elmerion said:

Respectable?

1-The Kinect need something more than a couple "respectable" titles to be succesful

2-The only "respectable" numbers i can see in that chart are Dance Central's

3-UDraw is a low budget peripheral pushed by a single company , Kinect is a high budget product with a lod of advertisement behind it and a huge line-up

Anyone that has tried it at my house has or is going to buy it. My mom, hates video games but bought kinect. Aunt is going tomorrow to buy one and my brother bought one as well. All new xbox owners.

Just curious, what games are these folks planning on buying for Kinect? I mean considering they just put down a $300 for a brand new console all for a peripheral that currently supports about 18 games, there must be some games they are really ecstatic to play. Or did they all just throw down $300 just for Kinect Adventures?

I'm honestly not trying to sound like a smartass, I'm genuinly curious as to what are the games that are causing people to be up in arms with this deveice? Dance central looks ok I guess but I might as well get Just Dance for about $150 cheaper. All of the other games just don't seem worth it to me.

Around the Network
toastboy44562 said:
Kinect is completely destroying Eye Toy in aligned launches, despite having a far smaller userbase. I think this happened because a lot of people were hungry for something a little new
[...]
Europe and Americans are loving this so much.

I think there are other reasons.

For example a bigass 500 million dollar marketing budget - that's 100 dollars spent on advertising etc. for every single person who bought Kinect so far! Microsoft obviously didn't believe that the device would become a success without massive advertising.

And Kinect is by far not as popular in Europe as it is in the USA. It's absolutely no problem to get Kinect bundles over here, it actually rather seems that Microsoft is rather overshipping Kinect bundles to Europe, as many european Amazon stores are already selling the bundles at heavily discounted prices (for example over 20 Euros less than the official price in my country).

How will we know if it's profiting already, they spent so much on it that I think it will take them time to start profitting, anyway I think it was abvious that it would sell and will win against PS3 move , but I am certin it will not defeat WII , the Nintendo console is cheaper to get & it comes with it's move (U will only need to buy WII fit as a stand alone) and that will be vital in the long run, it's still too early but we should congratulate Microsoft for a Job well done.

spaceguy said:
Doobie_wop said:

Your wrong. I continue to be openly hateful of Kinect and just because it's a success (which I knew it would be), it doesn't mean that I don't think it's a piece of shit. I dislike motion controls in general. Thank you for creating this thread, it has given me another opportunity to spread my hate.

COme on moderators, if  I said that about the competition I would get banned. DOUBLE STANDARDS huh.

thats why xbox fans don't come onto the internet because of this treatment.  So it's ok to say I think something is a piece of sh-t. I will save this comment for future preference. either you punish all or you let it all go.

Make up your mind. this is the reason It took me so long to join because i see the double standard in this site and many others. You gave all the power to ps3 followers and now look what happens. I can't even say fan--- without getting banned but yet he gets away with calling kinect a piece of shit.

GFYS!

Do you really don't see the difference between

a) someone having a bad opinion on a product

and

b) Personally insulting another person?

I'm a 360fan or should i say was till kinect launched. Microsoft are just focusing on their casual gamers now and next year i almost just se Kinect games wich i hate!!! Look at what they have done with Rare,they have maked them to an Kinect game devoleper. Their is only one game i am looking forward for the xbox360.Gears Of War 3.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

Around the Network

People should wait for Kinect's first year in review before declaring it a game winning success.

It had a great launch, exceeding all industry expectations, supported by a highly successful marketing campaign. Initial soft sales, while far from staggering given the sheer number of Kinect units moved this season, are still respectable. In short, it's safe to say everyone is not buying Kinect to hack and fool around with on their PC or Mac.

My only big question mark in regards to Kinect is what are the AAA titles in 2011 that really justify buying the peripheral? It was one of the hot gifts for holiday 2010, and now it's time to deliver the software.

Yes, Dance Central is a great expanded audience title that will continue to sell as an evergreen title; same for Kinect Sports. But the core Xbox audience really hasn't been told what benefits they'll be enjoying by having Kinect in terms of a Gears of War or Halo title that successfully incorporates Kinect interaction. There's Forza 4, but no serious player is actually going to use dumbed down Kinect controls when it's a given that any serious player is already using a Logitec steering wheel controller for driving games. There's always the possiblity of a Fable 4 with Kinect given the character interaction demonstration/simulation done with Milo, but that won't be happening in 2011 if at all.

So there seems to be this smug attitude over the success of Kinect with essentially nothing to show for it other than impressive hardware sales figures that mean nothing until those translate into better support in the form of better games.

I'm still waiting; I'm not sure why others are celebrating.

ArnoldRimmer said:
toastboy44562 said:
Kinect is completely destroying Eye Toy in aligned launches, despite having a far smaller userbase. I think this happened because a lot of people were hungry for something a little new
[...]
Europe and Americans are loving this so much.

I think there are other reasons.

For example a bigass 500 million dollar marketing budget - that's 100 dollars spent on advertising etc. for every single person who bought Kinect so far! Microsoft obviously didn't believe that the device would become a success without massive advertising.

And Kinect is by far not as popular in Europe as it is in the USA. It's absolutely no problem to get Kinect bundles over here, it actually rather seems that Microsoft is rather overshipping Kinect bundles to Europe, as many european Amazon stores are already selling the bundles at heavily discounted prices (for example over 20 Euros less than the official price in my country).

Oh, advertisement ist something bad?

Do you know the budget of Sony or Nintendo? Here in Germany there were masses of TV-Ads for Move and GT 5. That is something complete different, isn't it? On Nick nearly every advertisement-break was filled with Wii-Products. Unfair, isn't it? 

After the holidays nearly every big retailer discounts Hardware. You can get  in Germany discounts on the PS 3, the Wii, the DS, the 360. They all failed during the holidays?

And the thing is, the Kinect sensor totally works. Anyone not impressed or at least amused by the growing volume of things being done via hardware hack are deliberately stifling their opinions of the tech in the interest of remaining stubbornly biased against it.

The thing that boggles my mind is that literally EVERYTHING impressive I've seen about Kinect has been related to hardware hacks done by end users and engineers.

Complaints by core Xbox users over the emphasis on Kinect soft development is not completely unfounded. While it's foolish to think this will result in a drastic reduction in core titles, if Kinect interactivity isn't at least made optional in some of the big franchise titles, it may well become a dumping ground for "expanded audience" games with dumbed down controls.

Oh, i still hate Kinect, i hated it from the moment it was revealed and and i would hate it just as much if Sony would have developed it and will continue on hating it.

But it's true i hate it in silence, because there is not much to say about it. is there?

...except maybe there are a lot of threads celebrating it's sales. there are a lot of threads praising it's possible potential, but there are hardly any threads about it's games and how fun they are and how much people love to play them.

of course i am not saying it's not fun, but i think most of the people enjoying kinect don't post in forums, Gamers post in forums. But there seems to be  the problem. Kinect is a success, but as it seems to me it does not much cater to the forum audiences (and i deliberately do not call them hardcore gamers).

Of course Xbox fans are happy about the success, it just seems that what they talk about mainly is it's sales, rather then what it does for them personally.

but that is not a bad thing either, as you can be sure your casuals have a lot of fun, and that is what counts, doesn't it?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

toastboy44562 said:

It's already outselling Wii/PS3/Xbox 360 in aligned launches:

8 weeks worldwide:

Kinect: 5,407,803

Kinect is completely destroying Eye Toy in aligned launches, despite having a far smaller userbase. I think this happened because a lot of people were hungry for something a little new, and advertizing kicked in really fast. In Americas, Kinect's 8 weeks has already outsold eyetoy's American lifetime sales.

I predict that Kinect adventures will go on to outsell all other 360 software. The strong momentum of the game should continue into early 2011 and shoot back up for the holidays, and this is all happening despite a very weak Japanese market. Europe and Americans are loving this so much. I think the reason for all this happening is that Kinect was produced by the casual audience brought to gaming by the wii, and that 360 is now sharing a similar audience to the console leader this gen.

Anyway, to all the people who thought Kinect would "Fail", "just be a fad", those people who said "360 userbase is too small", "It has bad reviews", "wii is the new king of gaming", "casual audience is on a decline", blah blah blah blah blah...

I know this thread is similar to the GT5 one but since that didn't get reported I guess this one would be alright :) enjoy!

You fail! You forgot mentioning that it's been beating Balance Board for weeks even during Xmas period when it used to be teh unbeatable peripheral, and even heavily bundling it in some regions didn't save it from teh mighty K! After this you should have mocked Malstrom and its minions, obviously.   

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=40531&reg=World&date=40167&console=&maker=

http://www.vgchartz.com/weekly.php?date=40167&reg=World&date=40531&console=&maker=

Edit: OTOH I predicted it would have been a dangerous competitor for BB more than for anything else, and do you know how I did it? Reading Pachter related threads, he transmitted me some of his überanalyst superpowers!   

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!