By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Geohot KO's Sony. PS3 now open to Custom Firmware, homebrew and hacks.

So in summary, we are all giving the people who spent months/years working hard for a game the big F-U?

I don't care who gets hurt, as long as it's not me right?

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Around the Network
Ajescent said:

So in summary, we are all giving the people who spent months/years working hard for a game the big F-U?

Where was your outrage before the ps3 got cracked wide open like an oyster?

XBOX and wii have been busted almost since launch....welcome to the club

PizzaFaceGamer said:
Ajescent said:

I've been outraged about illegally downloading games since the psOne days, way to jump the gun there buddy.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Ajescent said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
Ajescent said:

I've been outraged about illegally downloading games since the psOne days, way to jump the gun there buddy.

Oh okay, i just find it curious why no one bothered to create threads about ps2, wii, ds piracy

PizzaFaceGamer said:
Ajescent said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
Ajescent said:

Oh okay, i just find it curious why no one bothered to create threads about ps2, wii, ds piracy

People seem to have this thought that since PS3 is busted wide open the games are no longer going to sell. 

Wii is just as wide open as the PS3 I believe and it has how many 20M sellers?

The PS3 is fine. People are just worrying too much. It is not like SONY is going to respond by killing off the PS3 or shutting down studios or cutting game production.

Now we will just have people who wouldn't buy a PS3 in the first place buying a PS3 to pirate games they never would have bought. 

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
PizzaFaceGamer said:
Ajescent said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
Ajescent said:

In my defence, I only joined about 2 years ago. so those were before my time.

Euphoria14 said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
Ajescent said:
PizzaFaceGamer said:
Ajescent said:

People seem to have this thought that since PS3 is busted wide open the games are no longer going to sell. 

Wii is just as wide open as the PS3 I believe and it has how many 20M sellers?

The PS3 is fine. People are just worrying too much. It is not like SONY is going to respond by killing off the PS3 or shutting down studios or cutting game production.

Now we will just have people who wouldn't buy a PS3 in the first place buying a PS3 to pirate games they never would have bought. 

Well, I think there's a difference.

First off, I am absolutely against piracy in any form.  The people that do it are massive twats who couldn't be more selfish and are actively trying to destroy the thing they love.  I'm not going to say the same thing for people that just do homebrew, but I'm also not naive enough to believe that everyone who downloads software on the their Wii or PSP and says they only use it for homebrew.

As for the death of the PS3 due to this, of course games will still sell and it won't be the death of the PS3.  The problem with this is though is that for the Wii, every update you have to go through the hassle of messing with your system and from what I hear, you can brick your Wii if you blow on it funny.  For the PS3 and PSP now, it's probably going to be about as difficult as it is to pirate a game on the PC.

That doesn't mean the death of the system by any means, but, and this is a complete assumption on my part, the easier it is to pirate and keep your system cracked, the more games get pirated.

-edit-

And I'm only so interested in these threads lately because of the method used and what it means.  It's not surprising that pirates find some clever way into a system, but they found their way into the PS3 because of a massive failure and it's something that can't really be fixed.

snowdog said:
smbu2000 said:
snowdog said:

Yup, he gained access to Metldr using his own exploit but used TeamTwiizer's/fail0verflow's method to get the keys according to their Twitter page lol. They don't seem to mind though so fair play to them.

I'm just hoping that they'll be able to develop a BootMii equivalent for the PS3, I always crap myself whenever updating my PS3 firmware just in case there's a power cut. No problems doing that with the Wii since they developed BootMii. As far as I'm concerned all 3 platform holders should have implemented brick protection in all 3 consoles since they all launched. It is the 21st bloody Century for gawd's sake :Oo

Edit: Here's their Twitter page with the info on it lol:

@moeseth We discovered how to get keys. We exploited lv2ldr, then got its keys. Geohot exploited metldr, then used our trick to get its keys

Well on the geohot page with the keys listed he does say right below them:

"props to fail0verflow for the asymmetric half"

http://geohot.com/

So he is acknowledging that he used their method in order to access the metldr keys.

Ah that's good then. It's just bad journalism that's at fault rather than Geohot. :oD

Cheers IMU1808, that puts my mind at rest lol

actually not.

Geohot only added it after fail0verflow told him to do it.

again, another thread showing useless "news" that closely resembles something like, "oh, the sun is shining today".

get over it. all consoles will be hacked. it's inevitable. it's like you're all outraged by government tax. ps3 gets hacked? so? it was going to happen anyway. why is this so special? get your wits about yourselves. don't make news out of nothing.

bugrimmar said:

again, another thread showing useless "news" that closely resembles something like, "oh, the sun is shining today".

get over it. all consoles will be hacked. it's inevitable. it's like you're all outraged by government tax. ps3 gets hacked? so? it was going to happen anyway. why is this so special? get your wits about yourselves. don't make news out of nothing.

It's special because every system until now is hacked entering from exploits, doing voltage spikes (NES anyone), modding hardware (with the risk of console bricking), backdoors, smart tricks, complicated moves, etc., PS3 is not that case now, thanks to the brilliant mind that didn't apply the ECDSA like it's supposed to (with a constant when it's supposed to be a random number) the PS3 private keys (and now the PSP's) are available, so this is not entering by the window or a tunnel, this is entering with the front door keys...

That's why this hack is getting so much press (and of course, because it's been 4 years and some people thought the PS3 was unhackable, but like you said, every system is hackable)...