By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Geohot KO's Sony. PS3 now open to Custom Firmware, homebrew and hacks.

vr6GOLFr32 said:
Euphoria14 said:
Ajescent said:
rrrnearrr said:
Ajescent said:
twesterm said:
Ajescent said:

Here's a question someone asked on gamefaqs: Now that the ps3 systems are hacked, how safe is your ps3 from Malware and crap like that?

I assume it's safe unless you go around downloading homebrew apps (and that's true for any homebrew app).

Awesome, I look forward to the zomg, my ps3 has been hacked threads.

Come on, you can't be this naive...

Oh? In what way?

Easy, how many threads have you seen like that for Wii, 360, DS and PSP, not to mention Gamecube, PS2, PS1, etc...?

Oh yeah, that's right... none.

Of course however installing custom firmware has the risk of bricking your console, but so does installing official updates.

Atleast if official updates brick the console, it will still be covered under their warranty. I should know, I had it happen to me and I received a replacement free of charge.

Regardless how tempting it may be to have custom firmware etc, I will not due that to my PS3 as I have to much respect for Sony, and i'm really against it anyways. There's a reason I don't download music and just use youtube as my source for music.

1. According to the RIAA and YouTube, unless you're using the official (VEVO [blegh]) channel, you're still infringing copyright (aka "pirating").

2. Who do you respect, the record companies? They don't deserve jack shit worth of respect. Major-label musicians don't get shit for their recordings. That's why I don't buy Major-label CD's, I go see them live (at a higher markup price). Independent artists (not like the "indie" genre), on the other hand, I buy their albums, and if possible, go to their (relatively inexpensive) concerts because a decent amount of their profits are from album sales.

Around the Network
error

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

sergiodaly said:
Lanceuppercut said:
Ajescent said:

jeez...I guess it's all down to the few honest gamers who choose to maintain the authenticity of their machines.

Here's an idea: come down off your high horse and use your head for a second.

I paid good money for my PS3, and one of the reasons I did so was because of its ability to run Linux. This was an advertised feature.

But Sony decided to take that ability away from me, even though I am not a pirate.

I am definitely reinstalling Linux on my PS3. I am regaining functionality that I paid for, and Sony can eat shit if they have a problem with it.

who force you to upgrade the firmware that remove the linux option?

good money to run linux? if that was the case why didn't you buy a HTPC that is cheaper than PS3?

why are you happy about this?

i know why... you do too... but you won't admit it...

Oh please, i'm sick of people saying that because there're some of us that like Linux on the PS3, we're pirates... I bought my PS3 because of the things it had from the beginning (i bought a phat), and Linux is one of them, of course my main reason is games, but if there's a feature i like that is not the main one, i don't like when it is removed, besides, that sets a precedent, what's next? removing PS2 BC from people that bought 2006-2008 phats like me?, i don't think so, and if that happens i don't need to hear about people saying to me "If you like it so much, buy a PS2" (besides, i already have one)... I'm happy about the homebrew scene, and i'm happy because i'm gonna get my PS3Linux back, i'm not happy about piracy but you and most people know that this is inevitable in every device, it's up to us to buy the games or not, i chose like always to buy them... 

Besides, like i said before, if there's someone to blame, it's Sony, constant number in ECDSA, that's not even a rookie mistake and Sony is no rookie in this...

Barozi said:

Imagine the Dolphin Wii emulator on the PS3 with move support

Dolphin is already slow in a modern decent computer I don't think it can run on a PS3.

Rafux said:
Barozi said:

Dolphin is already slow in a modern decent computer I don't think it can run on a PS3.

All it would need would be a team of devs willing and able to rewrite the Dynarec for it. That's what the guys that're developing the PS1 emulator and N64 emulator for the Wii have done, they basically took a couple of working emulators for the PC and Gamecube (can't remember which ones now though), ported them and ripped the guts (the Dynarec - a Dynamic Recompiler) out of it and bunged in their own improved versions.

Around the Network
Rafux said:
Barozi said:

My brother has a 2.2GHz dual core notebook with a for notebook standards decent graphics card and NSMB Wii, Mario Party 8 and a few other games run at playable 30 FPS.

To give you some idea of how much it's able to do, he can play Team Fortress 2 @ 800x600 and CoD4 @ 1024x768 with everything set on medium or low of course and both games struggle to get constant 30FPS.

Pretty sure the PS3 is stronger than that.

The Anarchyz said:
bugrimmar said:

again, another thread showing useless "news" that closely resembles something like, "oh, the sun is shining today".

get over it. all consoles will be hacked. it's inevitable. it's like you're all outraged by government tax. ps3 gets hacked? so? it was going to happen anyway. why is this so special? get your wits about yourselves. don't make news out of nothing.

It's special because every system until now is hacked entering from exploits, doing voltage spikes (NES anyone), modding hardware (with the risk of console bricking), backdoors, smart tricks, complicated moves, etc., PS3 is not that case now, thanks to the brilliant mind that didn't apply the ECDSA like it's supposed to (with a constant when it's supposed to be a random number) the PS3 private keys (and now the PSP's) are available, so this is not entering by the window or a tunnel, this is entering with the front door keys...

That's why this hack is getting so much press (and of course, because it's been 4 years and some people thought the PS3 was unhackable, but like you said, every system is hackable)...

You know it's bad for Sony when the best publicity they can get for the ps3 isn't from marketing dollars, but from royal fuck ups

Barozi said:
Rafux said:
Barozi said:

My brother has a 2.2GHz dual core notebook with a for notebook standards decent graphics card and NSMB Wii, Mario Party 8 and a few other games run at playable 30 FPS.

To give you some idea of how much it's able to do, he can play Team Fortress 2 @ 800x600 and CoD4 @ 1024x768 with everything set on medium or low of course and both games struggle to get constant 30FPS.

Pretty sure the PS3 is stronger than that.

I'm not so sure, DKKC goes slow on my Core i7 720Q 4GB RAM Nvidia GT230, this laptop can play Arkhanm Asylum and Dead Space with maxed out graphics, 2 PS3 games.

snowdog said:
Rafux said:
Barozi said:

All it would need would be a team of devs willing and able to rewrite the Dynarec for it. That's what the guys that're developing the PS1 emulator and N64 emulator for the Wii have done, they basically took a couple of working emulators for the PC and Gamecube (can't remember which ones now though), ported them and ripped the guts (the Dynarec - a Dynamic Recompiler) out of it and bunged in their own improved versions.

Yea but usually a console is not capable of emulating the last generation one, PS2 had SNES emulators but never had any for N64, Saturn or Dreamcast.

I asked this in a similar thread, but has anyone actually pirated a ps3 game yet?

Everyday I'm hustlin'.

Wii and DS owner.