By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Geohot KO's Sony. PS3 now open to Custom Firmware, homebrew and hacks.

snowdog said:

No idea yet mate. I'm giving it a couple of months before even thinking of looking at it lol.

By the way, anyone else notice that Geohot, being an egotistical twonk, released everything before TeamTwiizers and is giving himself all the credit for getting the keys from Metldr..? True, he did get into Metldr using his own exploit...but he used TeamTwiizers' methods to get the keys. You would have thought that he'd have given them some sort of credit for doing the difficult part for him...very disappointing. :o/

is that true? LOL!

Around the Network

Yup, he gained access to Metldr using his own exploit but used TeamTwiizer's/fail0verflow's method to get the keys according to their Twitter page lol. They don't seem to mind though so fair play to them.

I'm just hoping that they'll be able to develop a BootMii equivalent for the PS3, I always crap myself whenever updating my PS3 firmware just in case there's a power cut. No problems doing that with the Wii since they developed BootMii. As far as I'm concerned all 3 platform holders should have implemented brick protection in all 3 consoles since they all launched. It is the 21st bloody Century for gawd's sake :Oo

Edit: Here's their Twitter page with the info on it lol:

@moeseth We discovered how to get keys. We exploited lv2ldr, then got its keys. Geohot exploited metldr, then used our trick to get its keys

snowdog said:

Yup, he gained access to Metldr using his own exploit but used TeamTwiizer's/fail0verflow's method to get the keys according to their Twitter page lol. They don't seem to mind though so fair play to them.

I'm just hoping that they'll be able to develop a BootMii equivalent for the PS3, I always crap myself whenever updating my PS3 firmware just in case there's a power cut. No problems doing that with the Wii since they developed BootMii. As far as I'm concerned all 3 platform holders should have implemented brick protection in all 3 consoles since they all launched. It is the 21st bloody Century for gawd's sake :Oo

@moeseth We discovered how to get keys. We exploited lv2ldr, then got its keys. Geohot exploited metldr, then used our trick to get its keys

Well on the geohot page with the keys listed he does say right below them:

"props to fail0verflow for the asymmetric half"

http://geohot.com/

So he is acknowledging that he used their method in order to access the metldr keys.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

I will not support this.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Euphoria14 said:

I want to get an honest response here.

Who loves their PSP?

If so, why did Sony add an internet browser?

If so, why did Sony add RS feeds?

If so, why did Sony add internet radio?

If so, why did Sony add new video formats? (Originally only had some bullshit .mpv or something where files were in 2 parts)

If so, why did Sony add custom themes?

If so, why did Sony add WMA and Flash after initially adding the browser?

I'll tell you why. To combat custom firmware. If not for custom firmware who knows if PSP would still be around and if so, if it would have all the features it has today.

So stop hating on things you know very little about. I am convinced that the VGC community knows very little about the benefits of the homebrew community. A community that is doing nothing wrong seeing as how after  paying $300-600 for a PS3 they should be free to do whatever the hell they please with the console they purchased.

Yes piracy is a negative to opening up a console, but stop focusing on only the negative and for once look at how many positives it brings.

For example, ask the XBox community what they thought about XBMC for all those years.

Before any hacks were announced, PS3 got:

DivX support
Web Browser Improvements
On-board store and PSN account settings
Photo Gallery
Video Editor
Video Store
Ad Hoc Party for PSP
Download Manager
Netflix Support
User generated content based games (LBP, UT3, Modnation)
In-Game XMB
Support for Cross game invites
Support for custom soundtracks

And much more. You can't really say the improvements were to combat custom firmware anymore than you can say there were to simply improve the system or keep it relevant. You can't say that those improvements weren't going to come if the homebrew scene never popped up. Upgradeable firmware for future improvements was something that SONY spoke of for the PSP and PS3 from the day they were announced.

Around the Network
snowdog said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqvQpF2azEo

There's another video I tried looking for bit it's hard to find since everything that shows up when you search ps3 firmware is all about jailbreak now... Basically a guy flipped the PS3 switch off from the back during the update. Turned it back on and the screen went back to the update screen and simply started the install again. This was explained a while back that the PS3 still has the older firmware on it while installing the new. Doesn't erase it when the new one is installed. Sorta like it always has 2 firmwares  on it. When you do an install it just gets rid of the older one.

Something like that.

smbu2000 said:
snowdog said:

Well on the geohot page with the keys listed he does say right below them:

"props to fail0verflow for the asymmetric half"

http://geohot.com/

So he is acknowledging that he used their method in order to access the metldr keys.

Ah that's good then. It's just bad journalism that's at fault rather than Geohot. :oD

Cheers IMU1808, that puts my mind at rest lol

Ajescent said:

jeez...I guess it's all down to the few honest gamers who choose to maintain the authenticity of their machines.

This is a terrible thing and everywhere I go on the web people are talking about it.

The PS3 won't last another 5 to 8 years. Sony will seal it shut and move on sooner, rather than later now.

This is a depressing time to be a honest gamer.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

GEOHOT is making me wanna get a ps3.....the homebrew scene will be AMAZING!!!