By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - *Can 360 or PS3 get a 20 Million seller?*

I was just thinking will the 360 or PS3 ever be able to make a game reach the 20 Million mark? The Wii obviously has a bigger userbase(Many people on here tell me that userbase doesn't matter though but I personally think it does) but now has 4 20 Million sellers! I don't count Wii Sports or Resort as they were both bundled(though W.S.R would have made it either way) but Wii Play__Mario Kart Wii__Wii Fit__and New Super Mario Bros. Wii have all sold over 20 Million now. 

Can 360 or PS3 get at least 1 20 Million seller? As of now the highest selling game on both systems is Modern Warfare 2 with 12 Million on the 360 and about 9 Million on PS3. 

The PS3 hasn't even had a 10 Million seller as of yet so I think its unlikely that PS3 will ever have a 20 Million seller but it could happen in the future with an unannounced game as I don't think Gran Turismo 5 or Sports Champions can reach that mark...They may struggle to reach 10 Million if at all. Also, The PS and PS2 are the top 2 selling Home systems of all time and both failed to see a 20 Million seller.

Next, the 360...as of now I don't see any announced game reaching 20 Million either though Kinect Adventures has a chance if it has the "legs" to do so. The closest thing I can compare Kinect to is Wii Fit which Kinect Adventures is currently selling faster than Wii Fit...but Wii Fit was still selling over 100K a week in America alone after 1 year of release.  Could Kinect Adventures become Microsoft's Wii Fit? As of now it seems possible but I still have my doubts it can last especially without Japan since Wii Fit wouldn't have sold 20 Million if it had failed in Japan.

Anyway above is just my opinions but do you think the 360, PS3, or both could ever see a 20 Million seller?

Around the Network

GTA: San Andreas for PS2 is tracking so close to 20 million, unless you add Xbox sales as well (2 million).

But this gen, no. Maybe Kinect Adventures. If it does though...I will get away from here to avoid all the threads and meltdowns.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

I think Kinect Adventures will pass 20 million but I hope it won't... Toastboy is so gonna anoy us when it does... >_>

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Kinect Adventures will likely be the only game on either system that has a shot at reaching 20mil. While I have no idea how high the move userbase will become, not every move owner will have sports champion. Every kinect owner will have kinect adventures. There is really nothing else that has any shot whatsoever to reach the 20mil mark.

Though a few more games could pass the 10mil mark. Black Ops for both systems is a given. MW2 for PS3 and Halo Reach will most likely. GT5 and sports champion could make it depending on possible future bundles and how sales hold up after holidays. The next call of duties could make it as well.

Kinect Adventures will cross 20 mill if it remains bundled, quite easily in fact.

Any other game .. nah.

Which isn't a bad thing, it shows library diversity.

Around the Network
Seece said:

Kinect Adventures will cross 20 mill if it remains bundled, quite easily in fact.

Any other game .. nah.

... Or the power of bundling because basically you buy Kinect, you buy KA... (cf Wii Sports) Nothing to do with library diversity.

4k1x3r said:
Seece said:

Any other game .. nah.

... Or the power of bundling because basically you buy Kinect, you buy KA... (cf Wii Sports) Nothing to do with library diversity.

The two sentances arnt connected to each other ... use common sense please.

Seece said:
4k1x3r said:
Seece said:

Any other game .. nah.

Oh okay. But if you meant that it shows library diversity because there'll not be a game that sells like hell and the rest relatively low then no too. On X360 it's not a game in particular, but a genre... shooters, with soon 3 FPS over 10M and 9 games out of the top ten are shooters (TPS and FPS), so talking about library diversity...

4k1x3r said:
Seece said:

Any other game .. nah.

I don't count Wii Sports or Resort because they were bundled with the console for a long period of time and you had to get the games to get the system there was/is no way around it. I do however count New Super Mario Bros. Wii and Mario Kart Wii because they both have come with systems before but you can also buy a Wii without those games...so it doesn't automatically cross the 20 Million mark like Wii Sports.

Kinect Adventures is the same way if it crosses 20 Million I will count it as its not required when you buy a 360...when you buy Kinect yes but again its like Wii Fit its included with the Balance Board not the system itself.

4k1x3r said:
Seece said:
4k1x3r said:
Seece said:

Any other game .. nah.

Oh okay. But if you meant that it shows library diversity because there'll not be a game that sells like hell and the rest relatively low then no too. On X360 it's not a game in particular, but a genre... shooters, with soon 3 FPS over 10M and 9 games out of the top ten are shooters (TPS and FPS), so talking about library diversity...

Of course it does. Shooters may sell the most, but comparitive to userbase, other genres thrive as well. If it really was a shooterbox they'd dominate more than they do. Apart from Halo and COD they don't.