By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will DKCR outsell the entire Metroid Prime series combined?

I was looking at the sales of Donkey Kong Country Returns, which have been impressive so far. I'm wondering if DKCR can outsell the entire Metroid Prime series (Retro Studio's previous series) with just one game.

According to VGChartz the Metroid Prime series has sold: 2.83 (Prime) + 1.29 (Echoes) + 1.58 (Corruption) + .61 (Trilogy) = 6.31 million.

After the numbers come in for the week DKCR will have likely outsold the best selling Metroid Prime game (the first Prime), and will have done so in a very short time.

So what do you think? Can Donkey Kong Country Returns sell over 6.31 million copies to surpass the total sales of the Metroid Prime series? If so, what do you think this means for both the Metroid franchise and Retro Studios? Personally, I think between the success of Donkey Kong Country Returns and the subpar performance of Other M, that the Metroid franchise is going to no longer receive the amount of attention from Nintendo as it has the last 2 gens.I also think Retro Studios will become even more important to Nintendo now that they have proven they can create a game that is both a critical and huge commercial success. I also really doubt that Retro will be moved back the Metroid franchise anytime soon.

Around the Network

I think there is a chance it will

You forgot about Hunters and Pimball :P

I believe Retro will come back to doing a Metroid game, but now a 2D decent one, since Iwata will fire Sakamoto for going insane (I would at least).

Above: still the best game of the year.

It has a good chance

Yes easily. I think it's a given.

Really, it's really surprising that with the AAA treatment, all the ads, the marketing, the quality, the Nintendo label, the prime series never sold much really. It's probably too different.

But Metroid Other M,  Nintendo expected big things with that, will sell less than the prime series. I would not be surprised if the DK licence will be put above the Metroid licence in Nintendo's priorities in a near future.

Around the Network

It definately deserves it. It is the second best DKC game imo, only beaten by DKC 2.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Beuli2 said:

You forgot about Hunters and Pimball :P

I believe Retro will come back to doing a Metroid game, but now a 2D decent one, since Iwata will fire Sakamoto for going insane (I would at least).

A 2D Metroid game by Retro would be much more than just "decent."

OT: Yes, I think it will.

I would be surprised if it didn't, especially if you don't count the DS games.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Retro Studios should be the ones to make the new Star Fox game. Also DKCR probably will outsell the Prime series. DK just appeals to more people.

It definitely will. And after this I hope Retro gets a chance to make their own new IP.