By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will DKCR outsell the entire Metroid Prime series combined?

Stefan.De.Machtige said:

I quickly looked up the numbers. I didn't do a extensive study. Besides you can't compare different games anymore in a single graph - That's where i miscounted. 

About the npd difference: Does that mean that Nintendo hasn't released any salesnumbers of Other m...?

They haven't afaik. What I meant was that leaked NPD data put Other M at less than 300K through November, which is half of what vgchartz had it at.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Around the Network

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen! Even though the last "real" DK were DK64 on the N64, it's a way bigger franchise. DKCR outselling the entire Prime series (plus Other M I'd bet!") is quite a feat though, and deserves some credit unless you are a big Metroid fanboy like myself. This is why I will get Epic Mickey instead of DKCR! HA! *cries*

However I do not think it will have any negative impact on Metroid, other than the shrinking chance of another Retro Metroid Prime. Wait, that's one hell of a negative impact!

@%&!# DK......

Yes, easily. Probably within a year, too.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Beuli2 said:

You forgot about Hunters and Pimball :P

I believe Retro will come back to doing a Metroid game, but now a 2D decent one, since Iwata will fire Sakamoto for going insane (I would at least).

lol.  Iwata's more likely to shut down Retro than he is fire Sakamoto.  SPD1 has at least proven they can craft original hits (Wario Ware, Rhythm Heaven, Tomodachi Collection), which more than can be said for Retro.  Other M might've bombed, but SPD1's been so overwhelmingly successful (on such tiny budgets), that it doesn't matter.

jarrod said:
Beuli2 said:

I believe Retro will come back to doing a Metroid game, but now a 2D decent one, since Iwata will fire Sakamoto for going insane (I would at least).

lol.  Iwata's more likely to shut down Retro than he is fire Sakamoto.  SPD1 has at least proven they can craft original hits (Wario Ware, Rhythm Heaven, Tomodachi Collection), which more than can be said for Retro.  Other M might've bombed, but SPD1's been so overwhelmingly successful (on such tiny budgets), that it doesn't matter.

I don't recall saying SPD1. Just firing Sakamoto is enough, bring another dude on his place, because it is obvious he doesn't know how to run his job.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Around the Network
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

Retro Studios should be the ones to make the new Star Fox game. Also DKCR probably will outsell the Prime series. DK just appeals to more people.

Doubt it.  Any Star Fox revival will either come from EAD (who're remaking SF64 for 3DS), Q-Games (who did Command) or hopefully Platinum Games (who WANTS to do it really badly!).

I think Retro could do a good job with something like F-Zero though, but I expect we'll be seeing DKCR2 on Wii  before anything else from them.

I would find it sad, actually. Not because DKCR doesn't deserve all it's sales, but because it shows how poor in comparison the Metroid Prime series sell. I loved all DKC titles, but I would take any Metroid Prime over DKC any day. Metroid deserves so much more and Nintendo isn't giving as much appraisal as it deserves.Metroid is my 3rd most loved Nintendo series - after Mario and Zelda of course.

updated: 14.01.2012

playing right now: Xenoblade Chronicles

Hype-o-meter, from least to most hyped:  the Last Story, Twisted Metal, Mass Effect 3, Final Fantasy XIII-2, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Playstation ViTA

bet with Mordred11 that Rage will look better on Xbox 360.

Beuli2 said:
jarrod said:
Beuli2 said:

I don't recall saying SPD1. Just firing Sakamoto is enough, bring another dude on his place, because it is obvious he doesn't know how to run his job.

Sakamoto runs SPD1.  Those are all his games.

Iwata's not going to fire someone who's been with the company over 25 years and created a simple Mii sim that sold 3.5m in Japan alone.  It's obvious Sakamoto's made serious cash for Nintendo this gen, even despite Other M tanking.  "don't know how to run his job" is so insanely far from the truth, I don't even know how to respond to it.

jarrod said:
Kyuubi Ricky SSJ2 said:

Retro Studios should be the ones to make the new Star Fox game. Also DKCR probably will outsell the Prime series. DK just appeals to more people.

Doubt it.  Any Star Fox revival will either come from EAD (who're remaking SF64 for 3DS), Q-Games (who did Command) or hopefully Platinum Games (who WANTS to do it really badly!).

I think Retro could do a good job with something like F-Zero though, but I expect we'll be seeing DKCR2 on Wii  before anything else from them.

Odds are, that might be the "Other M collaboration" surprise of next-gen. AFAIK Platinum isn't working on much after Vanquish; I'm not sure what their upcoming project is. Why not be employed by Ninty?

I think PG would be good with StarFox too. Their games have been fairly short this gen, but they have been able to cramp quite the amount of detail into them. Give em' 12 Starfox levels; 2-4 brief side levels, and we got ourselves the Flight-Shooter of Next-gen!

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Beuli2 said:
jarrod said:
Beuli2 said:

He knew exactly what Nintendo told him to do. If Nintendo had thought Other M was going badly at any point in its development, they would have scrapped it. Now under the Yamauchi regime, Sakamoto might've been fired as a sacrificial lamb (i mean they did it to Gunpei Yokoi, and he was coeval with Miyamoto in his time), but Iwata knows a moneymaker when he sees one

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.