By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 for Xmas - only to get tearing?

So my wife gave me a PS3 slim 320GB with Move and Gran Turismo 5 for Christmas (lucky me!).

This is my first "hd"-console, had Wii since launch.

There's a lot of cool stuff, but one thing that is really bothering me: Tearing.

For those of you who don't know what tearing is: 
Screen tearing is a visual artifact in video where information from two or more different frames is shown in a display device in a single screen draw. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing

So far I've noticed it in Gran Turismo  5 while driving, which is super annoying even at high speed. I also downloaded the Turtles in Time remake on PSN, and it has insane amounts of tearing! Better graphics don't mean a thing, the tearing makes it completely unenjoyable, I'd much rather play the SNES version...

Then yesterday I tried the Move edition demo of Heavy Rain. Again, lots of tearing, especially in the Crime Scene chapter.

I've googled around a bit and this seems to be super-common in PS3 games, how can you all stand it? It's like playing PC games on a computer that is too slow so you have to disable v-sync. The whole point of a console is to not have this hassle.

Btw, I have never seen tearing in single Wii game, ever. Nor has it ever bothered me on PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, SNES, NES, etc.

Why is this suddenly OK on an "HD" console? It completely ruins immersion for me when I feel like the screen is splitting in half.

(Also: GT5s load times are ridiculous, 20 seconds to get to a damn menu screen, when the game is installed on the hard drive? WTF? Can't they code?)

Around the Network

its just a signature thing for HD consoles

Screen tearing is pretty common between both HD consoles but PS3 receives it more so than 360 (mostly with multiplat.games).  You'll probably get used to it as time goes on and you probably won't even notice it the more you play.  PS3 games like Uncharted 2, Demon Souls, MGS4 are pretty much free of tearing.

so it is called tearing?? didn't know what it's called before. happens to me about 1 in 40 times, just turn off the tv then turn it back on and its gone, if you're getting it regularly and restarting tv doesn't work then maybe something is wrong with your hdmi cable.

It's really sad I think that they try to push the graphics so hard that they end up with tearing. I would much prefer they tried to push it a little less and had consistent framerates with tearing-free pictures.

I don't think I'll stop noticing this, I'm extremely bothered by imperfections like this, it distracts me. Good to hear that there are some games that don't have it, atleast :)

Around the Network
iBlah said:

so it is called tearing?? didn't know what it's called before. happens to me about 1 in 40 times, just turn off the tv then turn it back on and its gone, if you're getting it regularly and restarting tv doesn't work then maybe something is wrong with your hdmi cable.

It's not the TV (experienced it on multiple TVs), and I don't think it's the cable either. If it was the cable, wouldnt it be happening everywhere? Bluray movies and other video content play perfectly, as do the replays in GT5 when watching with the "track camera" (you know, not fixed behind the car or inside the car) and the intro movie of the same game

yeah usually when comparing multiplat games, PS3 has a lot more games with screen tearing, though there are also a few on 360 (Resident Evil 5 cutscenes, AC sometimes).

However almost every exclusive I own on PS3 doesn't have any screen tearing at all.

ksv said:

It's really sad I think that they try to push the graphics so hard that they end up with tearing. I would much prefer they tried to push it a little less and had consistent framerates with tearing-free pictures.

I don't think I'll stop noticing this, I'm extremely bothered by imperfections like this, it distracts me. Good to hear that there are some games that don't have it, atleast :)

Get a PC. problem solved.

PullusPardus said:
ksv said:

Get a PC. problem solved.

I have an awesome PC I play StarCraft 2 on at 1920x1200 with all settings on max, completely stable at 60 fps. It had tearing in cutscenes too, until I enabled V-sync. Problem solved.

You're just spoiled by the Wii.