By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 for Xmas - only to get tearing?

Mordred11 said:

I also play GT5,but I've only noticed this like 1-2 times since I got the game back in November.Maybe you are overreacting a bit.

Some people are more sensitive to screen tearing than others. I for one can see it everytime it happens.

I dont know why, but my eye is just instantly drawn to it !

For people like me it pretty much ruins the immersive experience.

I have to side with other people in the thread. Less eye candy and more v sync.

Around the Network
Shaman said:
non-gravity said:

I think a low frame rate is far more annoying, as it can give me a headache in the long run.

I'm looking at you Darksiders and Red Dead Redemption

darkside is more on screen tearing tho(360 version).

didn't really notice slowdown but maybe its just me...

red dead on the other hand completly agree.

Darksiders received a patch that cured the problems on the 360 version.

ClassicGamingWizzz said:

i never notice screen tearing until i play the mass effect 2 demo. But low frame rate it´s the most annoying shit in games these days , i am playing RDR now and it´s the most stupid thing, dragon age was frame rate drops to, gta 4 had it to, wtf are developers these days doing.

RDR receive game of the year, i never would give goty to a game with those problem, if  the games with those problems get bashed they would fix it but no , they give them GOTY and the producer shit in us when they make the next game with the same problems again .

metal gear solid 4, uncharted 1 , 2 , gow3 and other dont have this problems thank god !!!

Uncharted 1 had frame rate drops and screen tearing aplenty. In the forest levels especially. Got redeemed by 2 though :)

I've never once been bothered by screen tearing.  Back when I was a kid, things like slowdown, flicker, and game freezing were the things that pissed me off.  Later on, things like fog and pop-up.  I WISH all I had to worry about was a split second screen tear.

You're spoiled.

Also, my Wii leaves artifacts on the screen (little green dots), sucks online, and sometimes goes completely black (for several seconds--it's killed me more than once) when I play a game.  The Wii isn't the video game Messiah, either.......

I haven't noticed any on my 42inch tv but i don't usually play low quality games where this problem is common.

Around the Network

There are lots of graphical artifacts that exist in modern games, and to some people different issues are more problematic than others. For me, one of the things that frustrates me the most isn't an artifact like screen tearing or aliasing, it is the low quality/low detailed elements in most games that have "Amazing Graphics" ... It is not in every game, but you will often see that the developer was "saving resources" to direct to character models (or higher profile objects) and many of the other details look like crap.

I really can't understand how so many can NOT notice the tearing on the 360. I don't own a PS3, but the problem seems to exist there as well.

It seems that most console gamers are very easily pleased... Maybe that is because the gaming background of most comes from last gen consoles, and the increased (though usually not quite HD)  resolution is still enough for them to be wowed.

I can only guess, but I think most gamers with a PC gaming background have way higher standards regarding image quality. I enjoy playing games on my 360 when i want to game from my couch, but the terrible tearing (I remember it being really bad in Gears of War), lack of anti aliasing and framerate problems in almost every graphic heavy game really piss me off sometimes.

I play GT5 in 3D and there isn't really tearing but the jaggie edges do piss me off since it's especially apparent in 3D because I don't have that issue playing PC games in 3D with AA maxed. Does improve my driving though since I can actually see more clearly on where I'm supposed to turn much better.

if you expect that a 300 dolars console to do HD graphics without tearing is a bit naive of you... PC are much more expensive giving you better experiences but you get what you pay for...

BTW: not sure about this but try to put GT5 in 720p ... that should bring down the tearing (it doesn't bother me but we ain't all equals)

Proudest Platinums - BF: Bad Company, Killzone 2 , Battlefield 3 and GTA4

With games you mentioned, like gran turismo 5 and heavy rain, its so slight it dont bother me at all. But it has bother me with other games like Bayonetta or Enslaved (should have purchase them on Xbox to begin with).