By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 is Officially dead in Japan

The Japanese consumers officially put the final nail in the coffin for the 360. With the release of Final Fantasy XIII failing to break the top 20 on its opening week even though it was budget priced, Microsoft has absolutely no shot at success in Japan. Luckily for Microsoft they do not have this problem in the United States or most of the world. 

Now the 360 was never popular in Japan but a numbered Final Fantasy failing to open in the top 20 is unheard of. So what does this say about all those core games revealed at TGS for 360? Hopefully, it means nothing because this years TGS had a lot of promising new titles for the Kinect and 360.

What does this mean if anything?

source http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1141517p1.html

Around the Network

Its official? So I guess we can expect MS to stop supporting Xbox 360 in Japan?

(Looks at cmeese47 profile) Oh, just a typical 360 thread from a PS3 fan.

360 doesn't do well in Japan, whats new? For what its worth, Kinect is doing surprisingly well.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

thank god Japanese gamers also found out that Final Fantasy 13 kinda sucked...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Inb4 ps3 is dead in USA

Inb4 Japan is racist

Inb4 shitstorm

Already posted btw.

cmeese47 said:

The Japanese consumers officially put the final nail in the coffin for the 360. With the release of Final Fantasy XIII failing to break the top 20 on its opening week even though it was budget priced, Microsoft has absolutely no shot at success in Japan. Luckily for Microsoft they do not have this problem in the United States or most of the world. 

Now the 360 was never popular in Japan but a numbered Final Fantasy failing to open in the top 20 is unheard of. So what does this say about all those core games revealed at TGS for 360? Hopefully, it means nothing because this years TGS had a lot of promising new titles for the Kinect and 360.

What does this mean if anything?

source http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1141517p1.html

Um, I wouldn't exactly call this the game's opening considering it's been available for quite some time there on PS3.  Everyone knows Japan is one of the worst regions in the world for legs, so it's not surprising that most people who wanted FF13 already bought it on PS3.

Around the Network

It was dead on arrival.

Above: still the best game of the year.

Mr Puggsly said:

Its official? So I guess we can expect MS to stop supporting Xbox 360 in Japan?

(Looks at cmeese47 profile) Oh, just a typical 360 thread from a PS3 fan.

360 doesn't do well in Japan, whats new? For what its worth, Kinect is doing surprisingly well.

Monster Hunter boosted hardware sales to 20k units on its launch week on 360 and Final Fantasy XIII saw virtually no increase, which is troubling considering that the 360 has been the better home for RPG's than the 360.

I'm pretty sure the fact that its the shittiest Final Fantasy to date would have had something to do with it especially as the game buying public would have already had a year to find this out since the PS3 version released.

sad.man.loves.vgc said:

Inb4 ps3 is dead in USA

Inb4 Japan is racist

Inb4 shitstorm

Already posted btw.

Reported >_> Im partly Japanese so i dont appreciated being called a racists -.-

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.

Cunning_Linguist said:

I'm pretty sure the fact that its the shittiest Final Fantasy to date would have had something to do with it especially as the game buying public would have already had a year to find this out since the PS3 version released.

have u played ff14, THAT is the worst final fantasy XD

Yeah i know my spelling sucks but im dysgraphic so live with it :3    

---------------------------------------------------Bets--------------------------------------------------

Conegamer - I say that the PS3 will beat the DS next week in Japan  (for hardware sales) Forfeit is control over others avatar for 1 week.