By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 360 is Officially dead in Japan

Most Japanese 360 owners are also PS3 owners.  And you can get the PS3 version for $5 in the used bargain bins now.

The 360 is no where near mainstream level, but it's acheived a niche status.  The Original Xbox never even did that.  MS will probably release the Xbox 720 there, but won't try so hard like they did with the 360 and getting the jRPG (timed) exclusives.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network
Chibi.V.29 said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

Inb4 ps3 is dead in USA

Inb4 Japan is racist

Inb4 shitstorm

Already posted btw.

Reported >_> Im partly Japanese so i dont appreciated being called a racists -.-

oh, you misunderstood! I didn't mean that at all but we had multiple threads before calling Japan biased and racists and I was expecting a post about that soon. Japan is games <3

Inb4 ban

Aah ok i thought you where implying Japanese where racist ^^ Ill ask one of the mods to ignore the report. Sorry :/ people just seem to say it alot on forums >_>

Honestly they can be considered racist in at least the first definition provided here :

rac·ism

  [rey-siz-uhm]  Show IPA
–noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among thevarious human races determine cultural or individualachievement, usually involving the idea that one's own raceis superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon orfostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just read this :

http://factsanddetails.com/japan.php?itemid=632&catid=18

fighter said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:
Chibi.V.29 said:
sad.man.loves.vgc said:

Inb4 ps3 is dead in USA

Inb4 Japan is racist

Inb4 shitstorm

Already posted btw.

Reported >_> Im partly Japanese so i dont appreciated being called a racists -.-

oh, you misunderstood! I didn't mean that at all but we had multiple threads before calling Japan biased and racists and I was expecting a post about that soon. Japan is games <3

Inb4 ban

Aah ok i thought you where implying Japanese where racist ^^ Ill ask one of the mods to ignore the report. Sorry :/ people just seem to say it alot on forums >_>

Honestly they can be considered racist in at least the first definition provided here :

rac·ism    [rey-siz-uhm]  Show IPA
–noun
a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among thevarious human races determine cultural or individualachievement, usually involving the idea that one's own raceis superior and has the right to rule others.
a policy, system of government, etc., based upon orfostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just read this :

http://factsanddetails.com/japan.php?itemid=632&catid=18

you actually linked some kind of a "blog" written by someone somewhere..........

axumblade said:

It's amazing how when a 360 game gets a year old port on the PS3 and it does poorly, people use the "It's because everyone has already played it" yet when a PS3 game gets a year old port on the 360 it's because the "system is dead."

I was about to post the exact same thing as you!

But I was also going to use Tales of Vesperia specifically as a prime example.

And it's also laughable at some who thought FF XIII would actually do anything to boost X360 during it's release week...

Yep, it is just done. Unless kinect can get some legs out there, I really don't know what they need to do to get japan.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Beuli2 said:
RolStoppable said:

FF XII is pretty bad too. Not to mention VIII. Or II. Or III.

By II and III do you mean IV and VI? :P

And why is III that bad?

I mean II and III.

FF III is just tedious to play most of the time. At some points there are huge spikes in difficulty which is quite annoying in a game where you can't buy phoenix downs. The job system lacks polish and the second screen of the DS is barely used, if at all. Most of the time it's just black.

Don't forget the fact that the final boss is fucking ages away from the nearest save point.  At least an hour and a half if I remember correctly.

easyrider said:

Yep, it is just done. Unless kinect can get some legs out there, I really don't know what they need to do to get japan.

They need to get exclusives Japan wants more often. For example, the 360 has seen significant boosts when a major exclusive are released.

The PS3 and Wii get them regularly while the 360 does not.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I was always the first one to call the Japanese xenophobic when it came to video games created outside of Japan. After reading up a few threads at NeoGAF on why Microsoft has failed in Japan compared to say...Apple, I know it is not at all about xenophobia.

It has to do with Microsoft not really caring about the Japanese market. If you look at the support building of Sony in foreign markets and emerging markets, what you will see is an honest effort in trying to push  brand awareness from the ground up catering to regional tastes and culture.

In contrast, Microsoft is more or less about multi-million dollar ad campaigns created by Microsoft and localized in another language. Compared to Sony, there is not an honest effort to build brand awareness from the ground up and more importantly, Microsoft could give a damn about catering to Japanese tastes and culture.

Finally, from what I read online Microsoft is viewed as the Otaku machine in Japan. Basically, Otaku are Japanese social rejects who have obssessive interests in manga, anime and video games, while their adult age peers are more concerned with hand-held games that allow time for work and family. For one reason or another, Otaku and Microsoft Xbox have become attached in Japan. I think it may have to do with Microsoft not delving into the hand-held gaming market.

While it may be cool to have an obssessive interest in anime, manga and video games outside of Japan. From the NeoGAF thread, if you cannot save face and look like a normal, respectable member of Japanese working society, then you are branded as an Otaku who eschews a meaningful, socially acceptable life in favor of narrow interests.

Please, please correct me if I am wrong in my interpretation of Otaku in contemporary Japanese society.

Source: "Can Microsoft ever achieve success in Japan with the Xbox brand/gaming in general?" http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415488

P.S. Castor Krieg and Tmac in the thread offer good answers as to why Microsoft video games have failed in Japan.

axumblade said:
Mr Puggsly said:
easyrider said:

They need to get exclusives Japan wants more often. For example, the 360 has seen significant boosts when a major exclusive are released.

The PS3 and Wii get them regularly while the 360 does not.

The main problem the 360 has (as of late) in my opinion is that most of the big titles they get as "exclusives" don't tend to stay that way and get more features in the PS3 ports at a later date....Microsoft needs to bite the bullet and completely secure a few IPs as their own to make sure the titles are only on their systems. Otherwise more situations like Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4 and Ninja Gaiden will keep occuring.

No, that's not the problem. Even timed exclusivity boost hardware sales and I assume its significantly cheaper than complete exclusivity.

If MS got timed exclusivity on popular Japanese games regularly I guarantee console sales would rise significantly.But Japan is a relatively small market for home consoles so focusing on them is pointless.

Japan gets so much attention on this forum, but in the grand scheme its not a big market for home consoles. It only accounts for about 13% of PS3 hardware sales.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)