By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Vgchartz Community: Did you expect these Wii sales?

Vgchartz Community: Did you expect these Wii sales?

No, I expected them to be below HD consoles 15 11.28%

No, I expected them way lower. 19 14.29%

I expected them a little lower. 67 50.38%

I expected them to be flat. 13 9.77%

I expected some YoY increases. 19 14.29%

Total:133
RolStoppable said:
psrock said:
RolStoppable said:
psrock said:

It's down in Japan, Europe, it seems America is where it's killing it.

Which is Kinect's and the 360's strongest region as well. This suggests that Kinect isn't really a threat to Wii sales like some people hoped/feared it is.

I dare you, It's the fastest selling electronic of all times, it has plenty of effect.

Maybe it's boosting Wii sales. Who knows?

Who knows what's boosting Wii sales, it certainly not doing it anywhere else. We have Wii selling more in NA than last year, that's amazing considering it sold close to 4 million in Dec last with NSMBW.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

i thought it would do well, but some of these numbers are really surprising

RolStoppable said:
psrock said:
RolStoppable said:

Maybe it's boosting Wii sales. Who knows?

Who knows what's boosting Wii sales, it certainly not doing it anywhere else.

Coincidently, Kinect isn't doing that hot anywhere else either. Hm...

You are kinecting points my friend.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

I expected the increase, I can't give specific No's but I expected WII to pass 80M this year and it may as well end up 82M or more.

Is it really surprising that Wii is up in the USA?

Last year, the best Wii deal in Dec was Wii plus bundled game for $150 for a week or two.

This year the best Wii deal in Dec was Wii plus two bundled games for $125 for a couple days, with several weeks of Wii two bundled games at $150. There are also two options for bundles officially now, with retailers making alot on their own.

Off the top of my head Toys R Us, Walmart, Best Buy, Kmart have offered Wii at $125 - $150 at least once, and Target had Wii at $177, Sears had Wii at $190. Gamestop is the only major place not to do it.

Don't underestimate what I like to call "the demographic synergy" either. If you get three big games for every gaming demographic for Christmas you're pretty well set. Dancing, Party, Sports, Platformers, Puzzles, Shooters, Fitness, Fighters, RPGS, and Strategy games are all covered fairly well on Wii now. The main missing genres are high end  shooters, rpgs, sports, and action titles.

There was tons of variety in Wii content for 2010 - Just Dance 2 to Sin & Punishment Wii. Seriously - thats variety. Pretty much any 'taste' in gaming could be matched on Wii this year except for those big budget western projects, given what came out in 2006-2009 and what released in 2010. This year actually reminds of DS in 2008 - that was the year I wanted like 15 DS games (bought five or six I think), and this year I wanted like 30 Wii games, bought 14, and also got 7 WiiWare games out of 12 that I wanted.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

I would say due to the great line up towards end of the year. Sonic Colors, DKCR, Epic Mickey, Kiryb Epic Yarn, Goldeneye 007. Plus as TheSource noted, deals from retailers and all the sweet games that came out early in 2010: SMG2, Sin and Punishment, etc.

I expected it to do a little lower than it is currently doing, I just keep on finding some people ridiculously low predictions hilarious! 

I think a lot of people (not just PS360 fans) were predicting a tight race between all 3 consoles this holidays. Me included. I was certainly not expecting consecutive million sales weeks as has been the case in past years.

It seems Wii sales are  becomming progressively more concentrated into the holidays. Which looks mighty impressive for the holidays, but on a yearly basis the Wii is trending downwards, and will be significantly below its 2009 yearly total. Another $50 price cut will re-invigorate sales, and I think to get sales up during the non-holiday 10 months of the year they should drop the price at the start of the financial year. Doing that could easily put Wii 2011 back above 20 million in sales. If they wait until Oct/Nov 2011 it'll mean another sub 20 million year.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Additional there are some good newer Games in holiday season for Wii, which help selling consoles: Goldeneye, Donkey, Micky, Kirby etc. Not every Wii-buyer is a stupid 80year-old-casual-granny. Some of them call themselves coreplayer.

Some week ago, when looking at the projected sales forecast by Nintendo, they wanted almost more than half of their sales of the year on the last two months, so yes, they would be big, but I expected it to be lower than next year, not almost as good as it :D

Above: still the best game of the year.