By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Vgchartz Community: Did you expect these Wii sales?

Vgchartz Community: Did you expect these Wii sales?

No, I expected them to be below HD consoles 15 11.28%

No, I expected them way lower. 19 14.29%

I expected them a little lower. 67 50.38%

I expected them to be flat. 13 9.77%

I expected some YoY increases. 19 14.29%

Total:133

Oh btw i didnt expect it nope.. I expected the three consoles to be close with PS3 and 360 first and second in EU, Wii above PS3 in japan, and Wii and 360 neck to neck in NA. I really expected low numbers for the wii in EU even with JD2. I also didnt expect NA sales to be flat year over year, and still be second in November! Really one crazy year and generation overall! 

Around the Network
nordlead said:

Yes, I did. I made a post back at the end of October saying that Nintendo could do 19.33m this calandar year. I still think they can do it, but I'm going to be high in Japan and low everywhere else probably. My prediction goes through Jan 1 2011 as that week is mostly contained in 2010.

With some strong sales in NA it should easily make up for my ~400k overestimation for Japan.

Here is a chart with my prediction and numbers up until the week ending Dec 11th.

Prediction (M) Current (M) Weekly Needed (K)
NA 8.96 7.33 543.33
JPN 2.16 1.34 273.33
EMEAA 8.21 6.35 620
Total 19.33 15.02 1436.67

Looks like you still rather lowballed it, :P.

Though for your yearly predictions, why do you expect Wii to decline almost a million more from 2010 to 2011 than from 2009 to 2010? With a price cut, some major software and possibly the Vitality Sensor, I would expect the decline to be smaller, if only slightly.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

No price cut on console.
That's short term. It's desperate especially for the leading console at this stage in the game.
The price cut they need is in software.

THAT will get the console sales moving a little faster.
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Immortal said:

Though for your yearly predictions, why do you expect Wii to decline almost a million more from 2010 to 2011 than from 2009 to 2010? With a price cut, some major software and possibly the Vitality Sensor, I would expect the decline to be smaller, if only slightly.

I said in a following post that I'm probably pesimistic on the following years. Also, I think Vitality Sensor got canned or will be a flop. It was supposed to be out ASAP after E32010, but we didn't heard a thing about it. Just because Nintendo makes a periphreal doesn't mean it is going to sell well. The way they presented it is actually sorta stupid. Now, if they built it into the main controller just holding the controller enabled it to work I'd say it would be a great feature.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

johnlucas said:

No price cut on console.
That's short term. It's desperate especially for the leading console at this stage in the game.

John Lucas

Why would you think that's desparate? The PS2 had cut its price far faster than the Wii has so far. Besides, if anyone can afford a massive price cut, it's Nintendo. Also, the software price cut I believe they're saving for post-Bii years because it'll make the Wii an awesome budget system which won't necessarily steal its sequel's sales.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
nordlead said:
Immortal said:

I said in a following post that I'm probably pesimistic on the following years. Also, I think Vitality Sensor got canned or will be a flop. It was supposed to be out ASAP after E32010, but we didn't heard a thing about it. Just because Nintendo makes a periphreal doesn't mean it is going to sell well. The way they presented it is actually sorta stupid. Now, if they built it into the main controller just holding the controller enabled it to work I'd say it would be a great feature

I see, that makes sense then, :P.

nordlead said:
Nintendogamer said:

So you think wii will top 84M end of year? it's looking likely :)

65.52m 19.33m = 84.85m, so yes.

If sales stay completely flat from this week to next week (using 100k from MediaCreate for Japan and missing NA sales so I'll say those are 875k), and then drop to half the week after Christmas then it'll reach ~84.5m

The funny thing is you quoted me in that thread too. I think my future predictions are a little bleak, but I try not to be overoptimistic with predictions that are years out.

Well I'm always intersted in what you think it will do.  I remember you saying WIi will do 68M in April 2010 but it did 70M.  I wonder what will you prediction be for 2011? could it do 14M plus.

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

Yeah, I expected Wii to recover in the holidays because there's been a shit-tonne of releases, and they're actually doing well too. Games sell systems, it's not a shock.

However, it doesn't look like 2011 is gonna be any less dry over the course of the year than 2009 and 2010 were, so I'm not expecting great sales through the new year.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Immortal said:
johnlucas said:

No price cut on console.

John Lucas

Why would you think that's desparate? The PS2 had cut its price far faster than the Wii has so far. Besides, if anyone can afford a massive price cut, it's Nintendo. Also, the software price cut I believe they're saving for post-Bii years because it'll make the Wii an awesome budget system which won't necessarily steal its sequel's sales.

Save the cut. Too soon right now.

Iwata was right when he said cutting too fast lowers the value of your product. Gamecube was a perfect example. It started low & got lower fast but it only gave them very short boosts that got them nowhere in the long term. It's a sign of desperation. We see what's going with the PS3 now after those few months of boost after their cut in 2009. And you don't see them cutting anymore, do you? The 360 in effect went back UP after those clearance cuts for the old model 360s. It's the remodel & Kinect that's selling 360 not a simple cut.

This will not be the traditional 5 year console generation. This one's going extra innings (thank God!). So Nintendo has to play for the long term. They shouldn't drop until maybe this time next year at the EARLIEST. I say wait until 2012 even.

While in the customer perspective the more cuts the better, we have to recognize the business end & what it takes to bring those products to our living rooms. Their business must be healthy in order for them to deliver the product properly.

You'll see my suggestions for Wii in an soon upcoming Popzara article. The only drop Nintendo should THINK of considering is the software price drop. THAT will help them long term.

And last point, Wii ain't the PS2. It's surpassing it in every measure. Wii doesn't need a cut right now. All it really needs is more attention from Nintendo. They got 3DS tunnel vision I swear!
John Lucas

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

johnlucas said:
Immortal said:
johnlucas said:

No price cut on console.

John Lucas

Save the cut. Too soon right now.

Iwata was right when he said cutting too fast lowers the value of your product. Gamecube was a perfect example. It started low & got lower fast but it only gave them very short boosts that got them nowhere in the long term. It's a sign of desperation. We see what's going with the PS3 now after those few months of boost after their cut in 2009. And you don't see them cutting anymore, do you? The 360 in effect went back UP after those clearance cuts for the old model 360s. It's the remodel & Kinect that's selling 360 not a simple cut.

This will not be the traditional 5 year console generation. This one's going extra innings (thank God!). So Nintendo has to play for the long term. They shouldn't drop until maybe this time next year at the EARLIEST. I say wait until 2012 even.

While in the customer perspective the more cuts the better, we have to recognize the business end & what it takes to bring those products to our living rooms. Their business must be healthy in order for them to deliver the product properly.

You'll see my suggestions for Wii in an soon upcoming Popzara article. The only drop Nintendo should THINK of considering is the software price drop. THAT will help them long term.

And last point, Wii ain't the PS2. It's surpassing it in every measure. Wii doesn't need a cut right now. All it really needs is more attention from Nintendo. They got 3DS tunnel vision I swear!
John Lucas

I suppose that makes sense; the PS2's massive cut to 199 didn't actually get the console anywhere either. It needed the Slim to increase substantially in sales. I can't see the future being too bright for the Wii in the coming years then, though, since Nintendo isn't gonna give it sufficient attention unless sales decline significantly and they most likely won't. The software cut should give a substantial boost to the Wii in the long term, at least.