By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mass effect 2 looks much better on PS3(video comparison inside)

The differences between the faces really shows. Man, I can't wait to see how the ME3 engine will be tapped if ME2 PS3 uses it and looks like this.

I can't begin to imagine how ME3 will look on PC.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Bristow9091 said:

Yeah, I'm actually really impressed by this port, I mean, Dragon Age: Origins, correct me if I'm wrong, was the first PS3 project by Bioware, and graphically it was "superior" to the 360 version, but the framerate suffered by quite a bit, with it dropping into the 10-15 section at times, however, it didn't stop me from enjoying every second, lol.

10-15? Wow, I had no idea it was that shitty. That's worse than motherfucking SOTC. Are you sure of it?

I never experienced anything that bad myself, but the frame rate was definately lower on the PS3.  I never got the feeling it went that low but I suppose it might have.  I definately felt dips to around 20 fps here and there.  But, due to the style of the game it never impacted gameplay that I noticed.

Dragon Age was an odd release IMHO as the PS3 version visually was a little better but it had a worse frame rate - I could never work out why they didn't make it visually exactly the same and get a better frame rate?

I'm guessing lack of experience with PS3 during the final code optimization, and to an extent ME2 on PS3 should give a great view of how well Bioware are now optimizing on the platform.  Each title they release does seem to get better in terms of technical polish so I fogive some of the rough edges as unlike some developers they really are constantly improving on 360 and hopefully PS3 now, too.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Machiavellian said:

Thats good for the PS3 that the game is not a shooty port but the real comparision will be with ME3 side by side since they will come out together.  It's good that Bioware was able to up the look of ME2 on the PS3 but they did have enough time.

When I look at the video, one thing I see is a more washed out look for the 360 version which doesn't look like that on my Set.  I am going to wait for more comparison vids and in a higher bitrate.

haha yea that vid makes the 360 version look really washed out. and nope it don't look like that on my set either

Hmm.  This explains a lot:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-16-ps3-mass-effect-2-uses-me3-engine

ME2 on PS3 is running on ME3 engine, which is probably both better optimized than the ME2 engine on 360 and has probably also been built to support both PS3/360.

No wonder it looks a bit better.  It's not a straight port of ME2.  Instead, they rebuilt ME2 using the assets in the ME3 engine to get better results.

Clever, and an good indication that ME3 will be looking better than ME2 (on 360/PC I mean, as ME2 on PS3 is going to be more like ME3 on 360... oh, you get what I mean!).

very nice.  i don't care much that it looks and runs better just as long as it isn't worse or a shitty port.  this was the news i was waiting for before i made a decision to buy or not so i am happy.

Around the Network

I guess it all comes down to how the frame-rate and tech issues are. If the reviews say it is at LEAST on par with the 360 version then I will buy it. Graphics don't meant crap to me, I would rather have stability. Though the 360 version had its own fair share of issues.

CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:

Remember Oblivion and Bioshock?  When the port is released about a year later, that tends to happen.  When the versions are released side by side, things tend to go a little differently.  The game looking better on PS3 is definitely a good thing but the draw of ME is the story and the choices.  Show me a video where the story is better on PS3 and I'll buy  it again.

Actually, Bioshock looked worse on PS3. I don't remember the case for Oblivion, but I thought the 360 version looked better there too. In fact, only certain late ports looked better on the opposite system (like Virtua Fighter 5 on 360 looking crisper), but the situation isn't always like that.

Mind blown!!

C'mon - no one noticed my second post?  ME2 on PS3 is running ME3 engine.  That's pretty interesting, no?  Not just for explaning why PS3 version looks good but the fact with ME2 on PS3 we get to see aspects of the newer version of the engine.

CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:

Remember Oblivion and Bioshock?  When the port is released about a year later, that tends to happen.  When the versions are released side by side, things tend to go a little differently.  The game looking better on PS3 is definitely a good thing but the draw of ME is the story and the choices.  Show me a video where the story is better on PS3 and I'll buy  it again.

Actually, Bioshock looked worse on PS3. I don't remember the case for Oblivion, but I thought the 360 version looked better there too. In fact, only certain late ports looked better on the opposite system (like Virtua Fighter 5 on 360 looking crisper), but the situation isn't always like that.

Think Bioshock was pretty much the same, but Oblivion was slightly improved on the PS3 with slightly extra detail in places. Of course, nothing can forgive those super-reflective genetically modified sheep on both :P

Reasonable said:

C'mon - no one noticed my second post?  ME2 on PS3 is running ME3 engine.  That's pretty interesting, no?  Not just for explaning why PS3 version looks good but the fact with ME2 on PS3 we get to see aspects of the newer version of the engine.

Ya people just ignore replies... figures.

Yes, this comparison is basically what we can expect ME3 to look like on both consoles. Although I would still recommend people get the PC or 360 version of ME2 because if you played ME1 all that save data carries over and that is simply an underrated awesome feature. PS3 doesnt have the ME1 data unfortuantely.