By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Mass effect 2 looks much better on PS3(video comparison inside)

CGI-Quality said:
Scoobes said:
CGI-Quality said:
d21lewis said:

Remember Oblivion and Bioshock?  When the port is released about a year later, that tends to happen.  When the versions are released side by side, things tend to go a little differently.  The game looking better on PS3 is definitely a good thing but the draw of ME is the story and the choices.  Show me a video where the story is better on PS3 and I'll buy  it again.

Actually, Bioshock looked worse on PS3. I don't remember the case for Oblivion, but I thought the 360 version looked better there too. In fact, only certain late ports looked better on the opposite system (like Virtua Fighter 5 on 360 looking crisper), but the situation isn't always like that.

Think Bioshock was pretty much the same, but Oblivion was slightly improved on the PS3 with slightly extra detail in places. Of course, nothing can forgive those super-reflective genetically modified sheep on both :P

I remember, vividly, that the reviews said that while the PS3 version of Bioshock looked good, the overall package still looked better on the 360.

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=3614

They agree. The PS3 version, while good looking, doesn't look as the 360 version. There's one from Digital Foundry as well, I'll find it. The point is, just because ME2 is a late port to PS3 doesn't mean it was guaranteed to look better than the 360 version (which was a misconception early in the thread).

As for Oblivion, I remember it was claimed that the PS3 version had crisper textures (which it did) and a smoother framerate (which I can't comment on as I don't remember). But aliasing seemed smoother on the 360.

That's something I noticed on Bethesda's use of Gamebryo. PS3 version tends to have better textures, but the 360 has better AA.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

Around the Network
binary solo said:
Machiavellian said:

Thats good for the PS3 that the game is not a shooty port but the real comparision will be with ME3 side by side since they will come out together.  It's good that Bioware was able to up the look of ME2 on the PS3 but they did have enough time.

When I look at the video, one thing I see is a more washed out look for the 360 version which doesn't look like that on my Set.  I am going to wait for more comparison vids and in a higher bitrate.

The pertenant bit of the article is this:

"The engine has been reworked to utilize the PlayStation 3's technology, so if you look closely you might notice the blacker blacks and crisper textures, but you'll probably just think it looks sharp and bright. Placing both versions side by side shows off how much better the PS3 version looks during cutscenes, but during normal gameplay it isn't leaps and bounds better than the Xbox 360."

Bioware obviously did the right thing and put some effort into optimising for the PS3. Which of course set them up well for producing a multiplat ME3 with equal (roughly) production values on the consoles. We know it can be done with high quality games.

Quality devs are quality devs. Yes the game should be somewhat better looking  given the extra time, but it requires a developer dedicated to quality to actually make sure it happens. It also means PS3 owners are more likely to buy the game knowing it's a high quality port.

Tis why we love Bioware :D

What I want from a game.

Gameplay > Story > Content > Graphics

Visual Style > Graphics

Smooth Camera, Intuitive Controls

Friction! When everything feels right!

d21lewis said:

Remember Oblivion and Bioshock?  When the port is released about a year later, that tends to happen.  When the versions are released side by side, things tend to go a little differently.  The game looking better on PS3 is definitely a good thing but the draw of ME is the story and the choices.  Show me a video where the story is better on PS3 and I'll buy  it again.

soooo....me2 ps3 is a port of me2 x360...meaning...same game with....what? THE SAME STORY!

so, tell me, how the fuck would a port of the SAME GAME with THE SAME STORY have a better story?

this is soooo stupid....asking for A BETTER STORY for a port of a game on another console which is the same game with the SAME FREAKING STORY....

hmm it may look better but mass effect 2 on 360 doesnt look nowhere as washed out as those pics and video suggest

ils411 said:
d21lewis said:

soooo....me2 ps3 is a port of me2 x360...meaning...same game with....what? THE SAME STORY!

so, tell me, how the fuck would a port of the SAME GAME with THE SAME STORY have a better story?

this is soooo stupid....asking for A BETTER STORY for a port of a game on another console which is the same game with the SAME FREAKING STORY....

I think you're missing my point.  While I appreciate the fact that the PS3 version will look better than the 360 version, 360 owners won't be missing much because the story is what we bought the game for and the story will be the same in January 2011 as it was in January 2010.  Calm down.

Around the Network
De85 said:

Doesn't surprise me, late port is late...

This is nothing we haven't seen before.

Comic book???haha

Mass Effect 3 engine on Mass Effect 2???haha

All the DLC for free???haha

Joel12345 said:
De85 said:

Comic book???haha

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say to me here...  Your second point exactly reinforces what I was saying, that they've had more time to work on it so it's not unusual that it would look better.  Your first and third points have nothing at all to do with the thread, the discussion, or my post...

De85 said:
Joel12345 said:
De85 said:

Comic book???haha

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say to me here...  Your second point exactly reinforces what I was saying, that they've had more time to work on it so it's not unusual that it would look better.  Your first and third points have nothing at all to do with the thread, the discussion, or my post...

The bottom line here is that PS3 users get a better version of a great game with more content which makes the price worth it.  Also, PS3 users have PLENTY of other quality games to keep them busy until that time comes.  You get the best of all worlds here.  Besides, not every Xbox 360 users who want to experence Mass Effect 2 has experenced it, yet.  They're late to the party, too.  But so what?

LivingMetal said:
De85 said:
Joel12345 said:
De85 said:

Comic book???haha

The bottom line here is that PS3 users get a better version of a great game with more content which makes the price worth it.  Also, PS3 users have PLENTY of other quality games to keep them busy until that time comes.  You get the best of all worlds here.  Besides, not every Xbox 360 users who want to experence Mass Effect 2 has experenced it, yet.  They're late to the party, too.  But so what?

Sorry, but the better version is still PC/360. Mass Effect 1 is NOT on PS3. Not even some comic can make up for that fact. 360/PC have over 200 combonations of things that the player did that affect their game in ME2. To me that feature alone is >>>>>>>>> slightly better graphics and three pieces of dlc.

myabsolution said:
LivingMetal said:
De85 said:
Joel12345 said:
De85 said:

Comic book???haha

Sorry, but the better version is still PC/360. Mass Effect 1 is NOT on PS3. Not even some comic can make up for that fact. 360/PC have over 200 combonations of things that the player did that affect their game in ME2. To me that feature alone is >>>>>>>>> slightly better graphics and three pieces of dlc.

Mass Effect 1 is Mass Effect 1.  It still does NOT take away from potential that Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 might be the definitive Mass Effect 2 expereince.