By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What will sell more Gran Turismo 5 or Mario Kart wii.

Whoa, Avinash flip-flops more than Hilary Clinton.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Around the Network
WEWdeadeye said:
Whoa, Avinash flip-flops more than Hilary Clinton.

Nope, from the mouth of Iwata:

"We are not competing against Sony or Microsoft. We are battling the indifference of people who have no interest in videogames."

hence the target audience of the Wii, hence why Wii will surpass the sales of the playstation family

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:

Nope I mean before, PS1 was already past 4.7 million by the time FF7 launched, N64 was past 1.7 million and was selling less than PS1 on a weekly basis, even before FF7, sorry but PS1 had already won by that point, those three games did nothing really, it is revisionist history to think those three games will make a system

Hmm, interesting, didn't know that. I am aware that N64 did well in North America, with a few first party titles selling as much as 7x more here than in Japan; I still don't know what were numbers for worldwide hardware sold. 

I still think those 3 games can move hardware since those are the biggest sellers on the Playstation outside of GTA. Ocarina was the biggest software seller on the N64, it was the best selling in the Zelda franchise, and it moved hardware midway through the N64s lifespan. 

That was 1 game. I'm talking about 3 games on the PS3. And if Sony includes GTA5 as a bundle, who knows, maybe they will sell more than expected. Who knows, maybe I'll be dead wrong and end up hitting my face on the pavement.

Guess Im going to be on the outside on this one. I think GT5 will sell much better than MK:Wii, for the same reason Galaxy is killing sunshine, the  period between games is bigger for GT. The hype for it is immense. Not nearly as much hype for MK:Wii since we got MK for DS a while back. I think GT5 is going to be one of the PS3's biggest sellers. Besides in the past GT5 has done way more than mario kart.

MK:Wii would have to pull a miracle to outself GT:5. Perhaps if its online is just ridiculously addictive and catches on (dont count on it with it being online on the Wii) and GT5 just bombs (again dont count on it) maybe. But I dont see it happening. 

Famine said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Nope I mean before, PS1 was already past 4.7 million by the time FF7 launched, N64 was past 1.7 million and was selling less than PS1 on a weekly basis, even before FF7, sorry but PS1 had already won by that point, those three games did nothing really, it is revisionist history to think those three games will make a system

Hmm, interesting, didn't know that. I am aware that N64 did well in North America, with a few first party titles selling as much as 7x more here than in Japan; I still don't know what were numbers for worldwide hardware sold. 

I still think those 3 games can move hardware since those are the biggest sellers on the Playstation outside of GTA. Ocarina was the biggest software seller on the N64, it was the best selling in the Zelda franchise, and it moved hardware midway through the N64s lifespan. 

That was 1 game. I'm talking about 3 games on the PS3. And if Sony includes GTA5 as a bundle, who knows, maybe they will sell more than expected. Who knows, maybe I'll be dead wrong and end up hitting my face on the pavement.

Well we will know in a year or so ;)

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
Xyrax said:

Guess Im going to be on the outside on this one. I think GT5 will sell much better than MK:Wii, for the same reason Galaxy is killing sunshine, the  period between games is bigger for GT. The hype for it is immense. Not nearly as much hype for MK:Wii since we got MK for DS a while back. I think GT5 is going to be one of the PS3's biggest sellers. Besides in the past GT5 has done way more than mario kart.

MK:Wii would have to pull a miracle to outself GT:5. Perhaps if its online is just ridiculously addictive and catches on (dont count on it with it being online on the Wii) and GT5 just bombs (again dont count on it) maybe. But I dont see it happening. 

I don't agree at all. There's more that sells games than hype, and Super Circuit didn't diminish Double Dash's sales. Not only that but the ceiling for MK games is around 10m, of the two consoles Wii is the only one with the install base to enable this, and MKWii should have a few months over GT5.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Avinash_Tyagi said

No, the PS3 hasn't sold 800K in most months WW

The PS3 also hasn't been at a lower price most months WW.  And who knows if there will be another price drop before or near the launch of GT5.

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

GT5..

mM
jjseth said:
Avinash_Tyagi said

No, the PS3 hasn't sold 800K in most months WW

The PS3 also hasn't been at a lower price most months WW.  And who knows if there will be another price drop before or near the launch of GT5.

I'm going by what we know as of now, sure its possible, its also possible that all PS3's start breaking down, but there is no evidence of that, which is why i'm not considering that at this point

GT5 would deserve it, its a piece of art. I still do not understand why Mario kart is so successful while other "Arcade Racers" are at best done as Shareware. If there is a market for arcade-style titles why is nobody besides Nintendo doing them?