By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What will sell more Gran Turismo 5 or Mario Kart wii.

Mario kart. gt isnt even cool.

Metalcore, Hardcore, Punk, Emo, Rock.

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
MK will out sell GT but GT will sell a ton even though the install base for the PS3 install base will be quite a bit lower then the Wii

w00t I agree with you! Is this a first?

I also agree with the guy who said the GT attach ratio will likely well exceed the MK attach ratio.  GT will sell very well for the install base it has to work with (whatever it may be).  I think its chances of outselling MKWii is largely dependant on the PS3's performance relative to the Wii.  So in a way this ties in heavily with hardware predictions. But I still think MKWii will have an edge when its all said and done. 

To Each Man, Responsibility
Peter Potamus said:
famousringo said:
Peter Potamus said:
Sorry, but GT5 will sell 4 million more lifetime than Mario Kart. I'm willing to bet on this one too.

I haven't seen anyone else take you up on this, but I will.

Let's hammer out the details. Lifetime is way too long range, let's set the timeframe to one year. The bet is whether or not GT5 will sell 4 million more than MK Wii in the first year of each title's release. To make that clear, that's twelve months of sales for MK Wii, and twelve months of sales of GT5. If you want to adjust your 4 million margin, since we aren't talking lifetime any more, now would be the time to do it.

The stakes... I'm not a fan of bans, so how about the winner gets to set the loser's avatar for 3 months? Maybe throw in a line or two of signature, if you like.

What number would be best for you? I'll build off that number if it is too high or too low.

I'm not clear which number you're referring to.

If you're referring to how much you want to bet that GT5 sales will lead over MK Wii sales, that's really up to you. I was guessing that since we're only talking about one year of sales that you'd tone down the margin by 1-3 million.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

famousringo said:
Peter Potamus said:
famousringo said:
Peter Potamus said:
Sorry, but GT5 will sell 4 million more lifetime than Mario Kart. I'm willing to bet on this one too.

I haven't seen anyone else take you up on this, but I will.

Let's hammer out the details. Lifetime is way too long range, let's set the timeframe to one year. The bet is whether or not GT5 will sell 4 million more than MK Wii in the first year of each title's release. To make that clear, that's twelve months of sales for MK Wii, and twelve months of sales of GT5. If you want to adjust your 4 million margin, since we aren't talking lifetime any more, now would be the time to do it.

The stakes... I'm not a fan of bans, so how about the winner gets to set the loser's avatar for 3 months? Maybe throw in a line or two of signature, if you like.

What number would be best for you? I'll build off that number if it is too high or too low.

I'm not clear which number you're referring to.

If you're referring to how much you want to bet that GT5 sales will lead over MK Wii sales, that's really up to you. I was guessing that since we're only talking about one year of sales that you'd tone down the margin by 1-3 million.

You also need to set the odds once the line has been set.

To Each Man, Responsibility

Maybe we should have special VGChartz Bet Money...

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
everyonehatesamerica said:
is that a joke? GT 3 sold 14 mil, MK DD 5...Ummmm right

Gran Turismo 3: ~15 Million
Gran Turismo 4: ~8.75 Million
Mario Kart DS: ~8.25 Million
Mario Kart (GCN): ~6.6 Million

As you can see, when Mario Kart is released on a popular system (DS) it can perform in a similar range to what Gran Turismo 4 performed on a popular system (PS2). Being that the Wii is far more popular than the PS3, Gran Turismo 4 was a significant drop in sales because of increased competition and lack of improvement over Gran Turismo 3, and software sales on most 'Big' PS3 titles is fairly disapointing I would say that this isn't a joke.

8 million is similar range to 15? riiiight. :|

HappySqurriel said:
is that a joke? GT 3 sold 14 mil, MK DD 5...Ummmm right

Gran Turismo 3: ~15 Million
Gran Turismo 4: ~8.75 Million
Mario Kart DS: ~8.25 Million
Mario Kart (GCN): ~6.6 Million

As you can see, when Mario Kart is released on a popular system (DS) it can perform in a similar range to what Gran Turismo 4 performed on a popular system (PS2). Being that the Wii is far more popular than the PS3, Gran Turismo 4 was a significant drop in sales because of increased competition and lack of improvement over Gran Turismo 3, and software sales on most 'Big' PS3 titles is fairly disapointing I would say that this isn't a joke.

8 million is similar range to 15? riiiight. :|

Why is it that so many Sony fans have poor reading comprehension?