By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So Kinect sales are at 4 million...

Lyrikalstylez said:
Sweep said:
Phobos said:

First I thought Kinect is a cool technology but there is no game I'm interested in.

Then a friend bought it and I was able to play it - all I can say:

DanceCentral and KinectSports are so much fun. I really like Kinect now.

Yes for an hour or two...But after that, what's left ? And its not MORE fun than Wii or PSMove titles

wait till the better games start coming
Im not saying I love kinect because I have yet to own one...but dont judge the thing from launch games

im sure theres plenty of innovative kinect games being created as we speak

I'm ready to bet that there are not : Gaming using only a camera has been atempted by the past and it did not succeed. Sorry but i'm thinking that there's really nothing Kinect can do to change that trend. It's not because it's a technically better tool than say the EyeToy that it can bring to you a massive liste of new and unseen experiences.

Plus, kinect developed games will tend to be exclusive : their control scheme will not be easily adapted to Wii/PS3, and as a developper, it may cost a lot of money with few ROI given the install base : It may be way too risky to go the Kinect only road    

Around the Network

Seriously I don't know how you can say anything negative about Kinect, it has blown up in America like the Ipod did or better from start. This is the amazing for gaming. Now, what MS do to keep this going is what is important.

I seriously think it has help 360 outsell PS3 in Europe, but time will tell.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Jadedx said:
chris212223 said:
AussieGecko said:
Wagram said:

I don't think your crazy, I just think the people who are buying it are crazy. Theres like no software at all. :/

Sales are good though. They better be, how much did they blow on advertising the damn thing?

If you are talking about games there are a few go to wikipedia there are nice list and a few of them have decent metacritic scores. If you talking about "Software" actually its a little hard for it not to work without software.

Advertising? They never released the figure they spent on Kinect...

Point to where you are not trolling

$500 million

MS never released that, it was a rumor from ny times.

It was projected that M$ would spend UPWARDS to $500

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/microsoft_move_3gVmAyryJuD6px1dV7LeDP

M$ certianly spent ALOT of money in pushing Kinect, but so did Sony for Move...I can assure you that ALL of those Kevin Butler commercials are not running for free on TV...they are on rinse-n-repeat all over sporting events (basically all that I watch on TV) from College Football to NFL to NBA to NCAA...so people need to spare me with this...Sony didn't push Move crap...BULLSHIT!  Sony has spent MILLIONS pushing Move, and granted M$ has spent far more, it's bacause M$'s campaign wasn't just for commercials, but instead to other venues:

"This time around Microsoft has struck a promotional partnership with Burger King. Roughly 400 million cans of Pepsi and Diet Pepsi will plug Kinect, along with 60 million cereal and snack boxes from Kellogg's."

As usual, people on the internet don't know WTF they are talking about, when spewing out garbage!

http://blogs.forbes.com/insertcoin/2010/10/19/microsoft-to-pour-500-million-into-kinect-launch/?partner=msn

"Will the Kinect launch be a success or a failure despite all this incoming promotional cash? That remains to be seen, but I have a hunch this isn’t going to be the game-changing revolution Microsoft is hoping for."

I wonder if he  will print a follow-up article...probably not...lol.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

Sweep said:
Lyrikalstylez said:
Sweep said:
Phobos said:

First I thought Kinect is a cool technology but there is no game I'm interested in.

Then a friend bought it and I was able to play it - all I can say:

DanceCentral and KinectSports are so much fun. I really like Kinect now.

Yes for an hour or two...But after that, what's left ? And its not MORE fun than Wii or PSMove titles

wait till the better games start coming
Im not saying I love kinect because I have yet to own one...but dont judge the thing from launch games

im sure theres plenty of innovative kinect games being created as we speak

I'm ready to bet that there are not : Gaming using only a camera has been atempted by the past and it did not succeed. Sorry but i'm thinking that there's really nothing Kinect can do to change that trend. It's not because it's a technically better tool than say the EyeToy that it can bring to you a massive liste of new and unseen experiences.

Plus, kinect developed games will tend to be exclusive : their control scheme will not be easily adapted to Wii/PS3, and as a developper, it may cost a lot of money with few ROI given the install base : It may be way too risky to go the Kinect only road    

Well considering how much ms has been making from kinect and the lack of future exclusives maybe this can benefit them, heres why .....since the games would  necessarily  be kinect only maybe ms could help fund them(as they have been doing in the past with others) thus build up the 360 library with minimal loses

whould be a smart move in my opinion

Metallicube said:
AussieGecko said:
Metallicube said:

err, 20 million? So you expect it to sell nearly half the userbase of the 360? Exactly what kind of software is going to push 20 million Kinects at $150 a piece ($300 if you include those who don't have a 360)? CERTAINLY not the software out for it now.

I predict sales will fall like a rock after the holiday season. There are no games out now or in the forseeable future that shows otherwise.

You do know that Xbox sales are also growing as well as Kinect? I am asking this because I really dont think you know. You are asking the question thinking that Xbox360 sales are gonna stop tomorrow... that aint gonna happen buddy

360 sales have been on the rise, but Kinect isn't the main driving froce behind that. The reason is more for the slim model, as well as COD: Black Ops and Halo Reach.

Seriously? The huge jump in 360 sales in the last month is mostly Kinect driven. COD:Black Ops and Halo Reach effect at this point is minimal. Kinect is causing 360 sales to skyrocket.

Around the Network
Metallicube said:
thx1139 said:
Metallicube said:
AussieGecko said:

You do know that Xbox sales are also growing as well as Kinect? I am asking this because I really dont think you know. You are asking the question thinking that Xbox360 sales are gonna stop tomorrow... that aint gonna happen buddy

360 sales have been on the rise, but Kinect isn't the main driving froce behind that. The reason is more for the slim model, as well as COD: Black Ops and Halo Reach.

Keep telling yourself that. You will feel better.

So you think lots of people are spending $300 to play Kinect Adventures?

It has been confirmed that in the November NPD a full 50% of the 360's sold were 360s with Kinect bundled, so yes, Microsoft is getting new 360 owners SPECIFICALLY due to Kinect. Hell, MS sold more 360s bundled with Kinect in November than Sony sold PS3s of ALL types, a full 650-700k 360s bundled with Kinect. Doesn't that prove without a shadow of a doubt that Kinect is causing a massive amount of new 360 console sales?

Who are all these people saying that Kinect software isn't selling?  First of all you need to look at the install base of the system...Which, sits at roughly 4 Million World Wide sales...Then look at launch titles what were there like 12??

Then look at how many of those will reach 1 Million plus sales... which are and will be

1. Kinect Adventures (okay pack in so of course it's "Sold" 1:1 with system so about 4 million units)

2. Kinect Sports has sold over 1 million WW

3. Dance Central will sell over a million WW

Kinectamals will probably fall short or reach that goal x numbers of years down the road, but has had strong sales.... Not sure exact Your Shape Fitness has sold, but I know it's selling a lot through word of mouth sales...that is a heck of a work out game.  I have it and love it....

But, there you go with a system that only has a 4 million install base and  a launch of 12 games 3 have will sell over a million and another 2 are selling really really well.....That sounds pretty darn good to me.

Plus the 4 million install base means much more support in the future esp. if it continues to be a huge hit like it is right now...

Don't know why everyone is hellbent on seeing this fail...esp. if you have never played it... It's an amazing piece of technology that doesn't let you be lazy when playing games...Esp. Kinect Sports...Heck of a work out.

Are there bad games in the launch line up...Yes, but what system doesn't have bad games.... The high profile games are very very good and are selling very well.  As they should be. 

pachoo5 said:
Metallicube said:
thx1139 said:
Metallicube said:
AussieGecko said:

It has been confirmed that in the November NPD a full 50% of the 360's sold were 360s with Kinect bundled, so yes, Microsoft is getting new 360 owners SPECIFICALLY due to Kinect. Hell, MS sold more 360s bundled with Kinect in November than Sony sold PS3s of ALL types, a full 650-700k 360s bundled with Kinect. Doesn't that prove without a shadow of a doubt that Kinect is causing a massive amount of new 360 console sales?

I didn't buy 360 for Kinect, so i'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

kutasek said:
pachoo5 said:
Metallicube said:
thx1139 said:
Metallicube said:
AussieGecko said:

I didn't buy 360 for Kinect, so i'm not sure what you're trying to say here.

what hes trying to say is casual owners, which you dont seem to be

toastboy44562 said:
NiKKoM said:

You know what the worst thing is with Kinect?

Toastboy was right and he'll keep rubbing it in our faces for the next few years....

Horrible... just horrible...

oh yes i will ;)

That makes me a sad panda...

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!)