By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Why Polyphony Digital was playing FORZA 3 at E3 2009

Now that both GT5 and FM3 have released I think it would be interesting to revisit a story from the past.

Why do you think PD was so interested in FM3?

I personally feel that PD was a bit curious/threatened by Forza.  Obviously PD wanted to keep tabs on their closest competition.  But I firmly believe GT5 woulda released sooner if not for the quality of FM3.  After playing FM3 at E3, PD knew Turn 10 was releasing an amazing game (92 metacritic), and PD didn't have GT5 up to par yet.

FLASHBACK:

Perhaps the most surprising to me was when a couple developers from Gran Turismo makers Polyphony Digital came by to personally get hands-on with Forza 3, all the while taking careful notes, examining our UI system, shooting photos, and directly asking us some pretty interesting questions. The reason I say I was personally surprised was because PD aren’t generally known as a studio to acknowledge that there are racing games that exist beyond their own. Which could explain why the GT franchise has been so stagnant in the racing genre since GT3. So it seems competition is good for the consumer after all.

http://kotaku.com/5282349/gran-turismo-makers-try-forza-3

____________________________________________________________________________________

PS - The comments about GT5 DESTROYING forza on that website are hilarious. 

Around the Network

Probably wanted the name of the company when the job cullings come around.

*shitstorm incoming*

Devs are usually friendly with each other, but I can see PD and Turn 10 being bitter rivals xD

Old news. Very old news. 

Seece said:

*shitstorm incoming*

Devs are usually friendly with each other, but I can see PD and Turn 10 being bitter rivals xD

Honestly I hope they do become bitter rivals. As far as I've heard they may as well be the two greatest racing/sim developers on consoles.

It'd make for incredible competition, and better games. I'd rather them be on friendly terms, but Turn 10 once said PD passed the baton to them . . . that could be homage or saying that PD is "outdated". E

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

And bungie was caught playing UNCHARTED 2, Ohhh they must be "threatened"!!!!

http://n4g.com/news/398065/bungie-caught-playing-uncharted-2-among-thieves

lololol

In this thread: Mind Readers use normal dev behavior as kindling.

OP, keep in mind that when PSP came out, Miyamoto himself played with it, asked questions, had people take pictures etc etc. So threatened!

FAIL.

Shadowblind said:
Seece said:

*shitstorm incoming*

Honestly I hope they do become bitter rivals. As far as I've heard they may as well be the two greatest racing/sim developers on consoles.

It'd make for incredible competition, and better games. I'd rather them be on friendly terms, but Turn 10 once said PD passed the baton to them . . . that could be homage or saying that PD is "outdated". E

Well, it's funny, Sony boys ripping into Turn 10 for their immature comments. I'm sure this only fires PD on to outdoing themselves and "beating "T10" even more. It IS good for competition, and for all we know, GT5 might have turned into a better product because of it.

I still like Forza 3 so much. Will not buy GT5

Or perhaps because Kazunori Yamauchi is a racing/car enthusiast and loves everything about it?`