By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox360, Wii, PS3, and software

Gnizmo said:
What does that have to do with anything? How is that relevant at all? November isn't needed for the arguement. The arguement has nothing to do with the attach rate of November versus the attach rate of October.

Actually, this works, let's run with this:

October, the Xbox360 had approximately 51 percent hardware marketshare in America, and sold approximately 54 percent of the software. 

51 percent hardware to 54 percent software does not represent a signiffiant attach rate advantage even in a month when the Wii had no major releases.   

Around the Network
naznatips said:
eugene said:
naznatips said:
What Bod is doing to make up for that extra year Legend is to compare the 2 most recent months on the basis that those months represent a more relevant data sample.

Also, eugene, the point of him also comparing October was to show that there is a similar relative hardware to software attach rate for the Wii in that month as well BEFORE SMG was released. The ratios of software to hardware remained the same between both months.

I dont think he made that point as much as he pointed out that the 360 lost software marketshare for a single month. Show me where the software attach rates for the Wii are the same for October and November. I know it isnt.

Okay eugene I'm going to try and do this slowly for you:

360 hardware in October is a little over 50%. 360 software in October is a little over 50%. Wii and PS3 hardware in October is a little under 50%. Wii and PS3 software in October is a little under 50%.

360 hardware in November is a little under 50%. 360 software in November is a little under 50%. Wii and PS3 hardware in October is a little over 50%. Wii and PS3 software in October is a little over 50%.

I'm going to go through the math in a very simple way for you. The ratios were relatively equal for both the 360 and Wii and PS3 between both months. When the 360 was a little over 50% in hardware, they were a little over in software as well. When the 360 was a little under 50% in hardware, they were a little under in software as well.

If the relative ratio between all 3 systems was constant between both months than SMG had no signifficant effect on Bod's comparison that was not canceled out by the 360's own major software.

Ok, Im going to say it even s l o w e r for you.

A month over month comparison is irrelevant cause software sales fluctuate to spasticly from system to system. The conclusion is fine, the methodology is flawed. And they wre NOT equal for both months. The Wii had a drastically higher attach rate than October. Your also completely wrong about the facts.

Gnizmo said:
What does that have to do with anything? How is that relevant at all? November isn't needed for the arguement. The arguement has nothing to do with the attach rate of November versus the attach rate of October.

He was restating the original post, which is what we were trying to talk about this whole time.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

eugene said:
naznatips said:
eugene said:
naznatips said:
What Bod is doing to make up for that extra year Legend is to compare the 2 most recent months on the basis that those months represent a more relevant data sample.

Also, eugene, the point of him also comparing October was to show that there is a similar relative hardware to software attach rate for the Wii in that month as well BEFORE SMG was released. The ratios of software to hardware remained the same between both months.

I dont think he made that point as much as he pointed out that the 360 lost software marketshare for a single month. Show me where the software attach rates for the Wii are the same for October and November. I know it isnt.

360 hardware in October is a little over 50%. 360 software in October is a little over 50%. Wii and PS3 hardware in October is a little under 50%. Wii and PS3 software in October is a little under 50%.

360 hardware in November is a little under 50%. 360 software in November is a little under 50%. Wii and PS3 hardware in October is a little over 50%. Wii and PS3 software in October is a little over 50%.

I'm going to go through the math in a very simple way for you. The ratios were relatively equal for both the 360 and Wii and PS3 between both months. When the 360 was a little over 50% in hardware, they were a little over in software as well. When the 360 was a little under 50% in hardware, they were a little under in software as well.

If the relative ratio between all 3 systems was constant between both months than SMG had no signifficant effect on Bod's comparison that was not canceled out by the 360's own major software.

A month over month comparison is irrelevant cause software sales fluctuate to spasticly from system to system. The conclusion is fine, the methodology is flawed. And they wre NOT equal for both months. The Wii had a drastically higher attach rate than October. Your also completely wrong about the facts.

Relative: considered in relation to something else; comparative. 

relative to the Xbox 360, the software attach ratio of the Wii wasn't changed.  What this means eugene (in case the dictionary definition doesn't do it for you) is that while the Wii's software attach ratio increased for the month, the 360's increased equally (technically it increased more, but I won't go into that).  So the Wii's and PS3's software attach ratios relative  to the Xbox 360's were unchanged between the two months. 

eugene said:

The month really doesn't matter.

The conclusion is simply this: For all platforms, in any given month software marketshare tends to be very close to the market share of the install base.

It's not a monthly comparison. Bod is simply demonstrating that this has been true for two months in a row.

I don't really expect you to understand this, since you're clearly too invested in this argument to admit that you could even possibly have misunderstood things. You're even convinced that you know what Bod is saying better than he does. And everybody else seemed to be having fun smashing their skulls against a brick wall, so I thought I'd join in.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
eugene said:
naznatips said:
eugene said:
naznatips said:

Relative: considered in relation to something else; comparative. 

relative to the Xbox 360, the software attach ratio of the Wii wasn't changed.  What this means eugene (in case the dictionary definition doesn't do it for you) is that while the Wii's software attach ratio increased for the month, the 360's increased equally (technically it increased more, but I won't go into that).  So the Wii's and PS3's software attach ratios relative  to the Xbox 360's were unchanged between the two months. 

And I said that your FACTS were wrong. They were NOT relative. The Wii experienced an above average attach rate for its system mostly due to Mario Galaxy. While everything else remained relativly the same. That is also why I said a month over month analysis is irrlevant because one big game does that.

naznatips said:
Gnizmo said:

Actually, this works, let's run with this:

October, the Xbox360 had approximately 51 percent hardware marketshare in America, and sold approximately 54 percent of the software. 

51 percent hardware to 54 percent software does not represent a signiffiant attach rate advantage even in a month when the Wii had no major releases.   

Blarg you posted while I was. I will throw some quotes in there to show what I meant.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

naznatips said:

I don't think VGChartz's numbers should be used since they include Wii Sports and has also apparently been undertracking 360 game sales based on NPD's numbers. The 360 likely didn't outsell the Wii and PS3 combined last month but we have no idea if that's a fact. Until NPD releases new hardware to software ratios next year it's hard to say with any certainty how well software is selling on the 360 compared to the Wii and PS3.

Legend11 said:
naznatips said:

Where is Bod getting his percentages from? NPD only released a list of sales for the top 10 games so how is it possible to get a percentage of the total amount of software sold by console? The numbers I presented are also from NPD and are calculated using the total amount of software sold for each console.

From a Microsoft press release.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Yes, in order to prove Bod's theory, He would have to show that the attach rates for the Xbox 360 the PS3 and Wii remained consistant with October. I do not believe it. I believe it was consistant for the PS3 and Xbox 360, but not the Wii. The Wii experienced a drastically higher than normal attach rate for the month