By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox360, Wii, PS3, and software

eugene said:
Yes, in order to prove Bod's theory, He would have to show that the attach rates for the Xbox 360 the PS3 and Wii remained consistant with October. I do not believe it. I believe it was consistant for the PS3 and Xbox 360, but not the Wii. The Wii experienced a drastically higher than normal attach rate for the month

Why would the Wii have spiked in October? What major games were released for the system that pushed the sales higher?

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

October 360 hardware: 585,966
October 360 software: 3,973,020

November 360 hardware: 1,020,659
November 360 software: 9,798,603

360 hardware: 42.60% increase
360 software: 59.46% increase

October Wii hardware: 480,132
October Wii software: 1,564,128

November Wii hardware: 1,304,870
November Wii software: 6,839,388

Wii hardware: 63.20% increase
Wii software: 77.13% increase

360 software attach rate increase: 16.86%
Wii software attach rate increase: 13.93%

Guess what eugene? The 360 gets a much more favorable attach rate boost from this comparison than the Wii. Any other complaints you want to make due to your ignorance of the numbers?

naznatips said:

Guess what eugene? The 360 gets a much more favorable attach rate boost from this comparison than the Wii. Any other complaints you want to make due to your ignorance of the numbers?

I think it's more ignorant of the concept then of the number.

Legend11 said:
naznatips said:
What Bod is doing to make up for that extra year Legend is to compare the 2 most recent months on the basis that those months represent a more relevant data sample.

Also, eugene, the point of him also comparing October was to show that there is a similar relative hardware to software attach rate for the Wii in that month as well BEFORE SMG was released. The ratios of software to hardware remained the same between both months.

Where is Bod getting his percentages from? NPD only released a list of sales for the top 10 games so how is it possible to get a percentage of the total amount of software sold by console? The numbers I presented are also from NPD and are calculated using the total amount of software sold for each console.

Bod is deducing that Microsoft had less than 50% of total software because for the first time in 4 months Microsoft said that they "sold the most software" instead of "outsold the PS3 and Wii combined in software." His deduction is a very reasonable one. There is a chance that Microsoft simply forgot to tack on their usual boast, but it's very unlikely.

naznatips said:

umm, I think this proves that this entire topic is wrong more than anything I have said. The 360 is indeed the software king for attach rates.  The 360's software attach rates are actually getting stronger, so Bod's entire topic is wrong based on these facts. All this while the Wii experienced a 77% increase in software sales vs a 55% increase in software sales for the Xbox 360. Nothing was constant relatively as you said.

Around the Network
eugene said:
naznatips said:

umm, I think this proves that this entire topic is wrong more than anything I have said. The 360 is indeed the software king for attach rates. The 360's software attach rates are actually getting stronger, so Bod's entire topic is wrong based on these facts. All this while the Wii experienced a 77% increase in software sales vs a 55% increase in software sales for the Xbox 360. Nothing was constant relatively as you said.

No, it proves that when you release 3 big games (CoD4, AC, and Mass Effect) it has a larger software attach rate than 1 big game.  I'm sorry, but are you 3?  Do you have any understanding of mathematics, statistics, or even simple logic?  Because I feel like I'm trying to teach a toddler.  Although toddlers are at least open-minded and tend to absorb new information, whereas you seem to have a wall of ignorance between you and facts.  

Once again, I'd like to teach you the word "relative."  Can we learn this word today?  It would help out a lot in future conversations (if you could call what you do conversing).  The Wii and 360 both experienced a hardware and software boost in November. The difference is that the 360 got a higher attach rate increase, whereas the Wii had a higher hardware increase.  

The entire point Bod is trying to make is that the Wii will not need to outsell the 360's hardware by some astronomical amount to outsell it in software.  He has proved that very clearly, as have I.  While the 360 and Wii both saw increases in November, the fact that the Wii and PS3 finally surpassed 50% marketshare in hardware allowed them to take over 50% market share in software.  This shows that the 360 will most likely be passed in North American software sales when the Wii has sold around 10-15% more hardware.  Not 50% or 100% more hardware like many forum members have claimed.  

I'm sorry that you are unable to grasp this concept, but if you insist on continually trolling this topic and making an absolute fool of yourself you are welcome to do so.  I'm done playing with children for the night, and I have studying to do.  

naznatips said:
eugene said:
naznatips said:

umm, I think this proves that this entire topic is wrong more than anything I have said. The 360 is indeed the software king for attach rates. The 360's software attach rates are actually getting stronger, so Bod's entire topic is wrong based on these facts. All this while the Wii experienced a 77% increase in software sales vs a 55% increase in software sales for the Xbox 360. Nothing was constant relatively as you said.

No, it proves that when you release 3 big games (CoD4, AC, and Mass Effect) it has a larger software attach rate than 1 big game.  I'm sorry, but are you 3?  Do you have any understanding of mathematics, statistics, or even simple logic?  Because I feel like I'm trying to teach a toddler.  Although toddlers are at least open-minded and tend to absorb new information, whereas you seem to have a wall of ignorance between you and facts.  

Once again, I'd like to teach you the word "relative."  Can we learn this word today?  It would help out a lot in future conversations (if you could call what you do conversing).  The Wii and 360 both experienced a hardware and software boost in November. The difference is that the 360 got a higher attach rate increase, whereas the Wii had a higher hardware increase.  

The entire point Bod is trying to make is that the Wii will not need to outsell the 360's hardware by some astronomical amount to outsell it in software.  He has proved that very clearly, as have I.  While the 360 and Wii both saw increases in November, the fact that the Wii and PS3 finally surpassed 50% marketshare in hardware allowed them to take over 50% market share in software.  This shows that the 360 will most likely be passed in North American software sales when the Wii has sold around 10-15% more hardware.  Not 50% or 100% more hardware like many forum members have claimed.  

I'm sorry that you are unable to grasp this concept, but if you insist on continually trolling this topic and making an absolute fool of yourself you are welcome to do so.  I'm done playing with children for the night, and I have studying to do.  

Im done also, but I dont believe this month is a complete picture of how each console stands on software sales. Like I said, you would have to look at a years worth of data to make a conclusion. Im speaking attach rates, not total software sold cause, the 360 would kill this year cause it had a larger installed base all year.  If at the end of a year, the software attach rate is only 15% higher then yeah, the Wii would only have to sell 15% more to match it, but if attach rates for one year are drasticly different, then no. One month is not a general picture of anything. The Wii also had many big games this month by the way.

naznatips said:
eugene said:
naznatips said:

Im done also, but I dont believe this month is a complete picture of how each console stands on software sales. Like I said, you would have to look at a years worth of data to make a conclusion. Im speaking attach rates, not total software sold cause, the 360 would kill this year cause it had a larger installed base all year.  If at the end of a year, the software attach rate is only 15% higher then yeah, the Wii would only have to sell 15% more to match it, but if attach rates for one year are drasticly different, then no. One month is not a general picture of anything. The Wii also had many big games this month by the way.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Legend11 said:
naznatips said:
What Bod is doing to make up for that extra year Legend is to compare the 2 most recent months on the basis that those months represent a more relevant data sample.

Also, eugene, the point of him also comparing October was to show that there is a similar relative hardware to software attach rate for the Wii in that month as well BEFORE SMG was released. The ratios of software to hardware remained the same between both months.

I don't think VGChartz's numbers should be used since they include Wii Sports and has also apparently been undertracking 360 game sales based on NPD's numbers. The 360 likely didn't outsell the Wii and PS3 combined last month but we have no idea if that's a fact. Until NPD releases new hardware to software ratios next year it's hard to say with any certainty how well software is selling on the 360 compared to the Wii and PS3.

For the conversation at hand (the one that's spanned the last three pages), I'm not using VGChartz' figures, although that would be okay too, since that also includes bundles of Forza and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. 

The total software ratios come from Microsoft, as a response to the NPD sales (the link can be found in my original post). The NPD does not track Wii Sports, so presumably Microsoft is not including Wii Sports in their totals, either. They had 51 percent marketshare -- according to NPD -- during October, and sold 54 percent of the months' total software.

I AM, however, using VGChartz data for the last four weeks, which have the PS3's Eurpean software figures matching the 360's despite having 1/2 the userbase, and the Wii's total, worldwide software outselling the 360's total, worldwide software, by a handy enough margin to suggest that it's probably true (meaning, even if Ioi has messed up by some significant percentage, the Wii would still be ahead). That's another argument, however, that no one seems to be contesting.

All in all, I made four separate points, each to provide evidence that the PS3 and Wii's software really aren't that far behind the 360's. I absolutely agree that none should be taken as conclusive proof, it's a discussion, and I think there's room for counter point. For example, many of the early months of this year (all the way through at least June) have the 360 very, VERY heavily outselling the Wii and PS3's combined software totals, but it also had upwards of 75 percent marketshare in the earliest parts of the year, so it's really hard to tell what reasonable software sales would be at those times. The whole picture's distorted. 

Now that we're reaching reasonably comparable levels of hardware sales in the Americas... we are also reaching reasonably comparable levels of software sales in America. By the count of both NPD and VGChartz. In the Christmas season, the busiest software period of the year, no less. That's the point I'm making here, and it isn't really intended to be a chide against the 360, just a chide against unrealistic, gargantuan expectations of software sales on the system. It's not outselling PS3 or Wii software 2:1 or anything.  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">