By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - BIG Rumor: Tales of Graces Wii being localized with PS3 extras?

outlawauron said:
VivaLaWiida said:
Xen said:
Xxain said:
MrT-Tar said:

Sometimes I wonder how many Monolith games would be localised if they were still part of Namco.  At least Nintendo localises most of them.

Under Namco, Europe only got Xenosaga Episode II and the original Baten Kaitos (Nintendo had to step in and publish it though)

However, since the take over the games developed for Nintendo (ie not SRT or DBZ), Nintendo has only not localised Soma Bringer.  It's too early to tell for Xenoblade.

DBZ:AotS, Disaster(halfway), and Super Robot Taisen are the only games nintendo has published for Monolith out of 7 games this gen currently.

Namco localized all the mainline Xenoseries and Baiten Kaitos series..so I dont know what your talking about

Europe. PAL regions get the JRPG shaft over and over... though all the real blame is on them, they don't buy the ones that DO get released.

Yeah. That's why Final Fantasy XIII and Dragon Quest IX sold better in Europe than in America.

Not entirely true. FF 13 sold more in the US by 60k.

Its within margin of error and EU sales are closer to NA and Japan sales for those series than its ever been in the past. There is no excuse for EU to get the cold shoulder for a JRPG release anymore

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Xen said:

???

I'm from a PAL country and I'm very familiar with the PAL "gaming" mentality.  I suffer because of it, too, having to import most of my games from the states. As for "proper treatment"... SO4 and Lost Odyssey got it... didn't get them anywhere, though.

I apologize for blindly assuming you were an ignorant US resident, your post suggested as much. But I have to ask, If you yourself live in a PAL country and know how things roll here, why do you place blame on the gamers and act like these kinds of titles are all readily available just asking to be picked up, when that is never usually the case? And why do you try to offset VivaLaWiida's post by nitpicking a number of lower profile JRPG's that sold better in US regions? You're not giving enough (or any) credit to the performance of higher profile JRPG's, while focusing too much on the smaller titles of the past, which - a lot of the time - European regions don't even get, or if they're lucky enough to get, don't get any promotion and are in limited numbers.

How technical is your game?

IxisNaugus said:

Xen said:

???

I'm from a PAL country and I'm very familiar with the PAL "gaming" mentality.  I suffer because of it, too, having to import most of my games from the states. As for "proper treatment"... SO4 and Lost Odyssey got it... didn't get them anywhere, though.

I apologize for blindly assuming you were an ignorant US resident, your post suggested as much. But I have to ask, If you yourself live in a PAL country and know how things roll here, why do you place blame on the gamers and act like these kinds of titles are all readily available just asking to be picked up, when that is never usually the case? And why do you try to offset VivaLaWiida's post by nitpicking a number of lower profile JRPG's that sold better in US regions? You're not giving enough (or any) credit to the performance of higher profile JRPG's, while focusing too much on the smaller titles of the past, which - a lot of the time - European regions don't even get, or if they're lucky enough to get, don't get any promotion and are in limited numbers.

1. Because gamer indifference played a huge part in the success/release/failure.

2. ...and that's exactly why I prefer to offset the examples. High profile. Genuine RPG fan interest can be really measured there, my point is that the whole situation is like that because PAL gamers lack interest in comparison to states gamers. I also gave decent examples of mid to high tier RPG's, nothing niche as hell.

Mad55 said:
Xxain said:
Gamerace said:

I hope it's true that a localized version is coming out on Wii.

It could be Namco sees an opportunity with Xenobalde / The Last Story / (DQX??) coming to the west (hopefully) to form a trio of strong JRPGS that'll all benefit from each other.  IE: 3(or 4) strong JRPGS would get JRPG fans to get a Wii for them, especially if Nintendo is promoting them strongly.

No such opportunity exists on PS3 currently.

Did you think about what you posted? There are way more JRPG's on and coming to PS3 than Wii. Hell if anything PS3 has the avantage currently in regards to JRPG's.

no the 360 does

What I should have said really in my original post is with Nintendo  having two big JRPGs, three if your include DQX, it would make sense for them to encourage (help promote/finance) Tales of Graces as the more JRPGs hitting the system in 2011 the more likely JRPG fans are to buy a Wii and get the games.     So it benefits Nintendo to have Tales of Graces on Wii in the west and benefits them more to get it exclusive.     If Nintendo sees it as such and are willing to finance/promote ToG in the West as part of a big JRPG push, then that's a opportunity that doesn't exist on PS3/360 currently.

Mad55 said:
Xxain said:
Gamerace said:

It could be Namco sees an opportunity with Xenobalde / The Last Story / (DQX??) coming to the west (hopefully) to form a trio of strong JRPGS that'll all benefit from each other.  IE: 3(or 4) strong JRPGS would get JRPG fans to get a Wii for them, especially if Nintendo is promoting them strongly.

Did you think about what you posted? There are way more JRPG's on and coming to PS3 than Wii. Hell if anything PS3 has the avantage currently in regards to JRPG's.

no the 360 does

What I should have said really in my original post is with Nintendo  having two big JRPGs, three if your include DQX, it would make sense for them to encourage (help promote/finance) Tales of Graces as the more JRPGs hitting the system in 2011 the more likely JRPG fans are to buy a Wii and get the games.     So it benefits Nintendo to have Tales of Graces on Wii in the west and benefits them more to get it exclusive.     If Nintendo sees it as such and are willing to finance/promote ToG in the West as part of a big JRPG push, then that's a opportunity that doesn't exist on PS3/360 currently.

Around the Network
Gamerace said:
Mad55 said:
Xxain said:
Gamerace said:

no the 360 does

ok well i see what your saying.

jarrod said:
Xxain said:

1.You had to stop right there, you had no choice lol... Megaman X Command Mission and yu gi oh are the only ones you missed. Those are all the JRPG's that released in the West on GC. A no there was no competition. it had a Few Gems though.

No there were a few more yet.  This is every JRPG (and subgenre titles, like SRPGs, ARPGs, card based, roguelikes, board based... even RPG-y farming sims and Zelda-likes for the people who bitch about those being left out) on GameCube that got a US release...

• Amazing Island (SEGA / Hitmaker! / Ancient)
  • Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (Namco /Monolith Soft / tri-Crescendo)
  • Baten Kaitos Origins (Nintendo / Namco / Monolith Soft / tri-Crescendo)
  • Bomberman Generation (Hudson / GameArts)
  • Cubivore: Survival of the Fittest (Atlus / Nintendo / Saru Brunei)
  • Custom Robo (Nintendo / Noise)
  • Digimon World 4 (Bandai / DIMPs)
  • Evolution Worlds (Ubisoft / Sting)
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (Nintendo / Square Enix)
  • Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (Nintendo / Intelligent Systems)
  • Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (Natsume / Marvelous)
  • Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life (Natsume / Marvelous)
  • Harvest Moon: Magical Melody (Nastume / Marvelous)
  • Lost Kingdoms (Activision / FROM Software)
  • Lost Kingdoms II (Activision / FROM Software)
  • MegaMan X: Command Mission (Capcom)
  • Metabots Infinity (Natsume / Imagineer)
  • Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (Nintendo / Intelligent Systems)
  • Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (SEGA / Sonic Team)
  • Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II (SEGA / Sonic Team)
  • Phantasy Star Online Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution (SEGA / Sonic Team)
  • Pokemon Colosseum (Nintendo / Genius Sonority)
  • Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness (Nintendo / Genius Sonority)
  • Skies of Arcadia Legends (SEGA / Overworks)
  • Tales of Symphonia (Namco / Namco Tales Studio)
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Nintendo)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
  • Virtua Quest (SEGA / SEGA-AM2 / TOSE Software)
  • Yu-Gi-OH! The Falsebound Kingdom (Konami / KCET)
...it's dramatically better than N64 had it...
  • Harvest Moon 64 (Natsume / Victor / Toybox)
  • Hybrid Heaven (Konami / KCEO)
  • MegaMan 64 (Capcom)
  • Mystical Ninja starring Goemon (Konami / KCEO)
  • Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber (Atlus / Quest)
  • Paper Mario (Nintendo / Intelligents Systems)
  • Quest 64 (THQ / Imagineer)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (Nintendo)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Nintendo)
...and about even with Wii (minus VC & WiiWare) so far, surprisingly...
  • Arc Rise Fantasia (Ignition Entertainment / Marvelous / imageepoch)
  • Baroque (Atlus / Sting)
  • Dokapon Kingdom (Atlus / Sting)
  • Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square Enix / Genius Sonority / 8ing)
  • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix)
  • Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo Dungeon (Square Enix / h.a.n.d.)
  • Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Nintendo / Intelligent Systems)
  • Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (XSEED Games / Namco / tri-Crescendo)
  • Harvest Moon: Animal Parade (Natsume / Marvelous)
  • Harvest Moon: Magical Melody (Natsume / Marvelous)
  • Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility (Natsume / Marvelous)
  • Little King's Story (XSEED Games / Marvelous / Cing / Townfactory)
  • Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked (Konami / Hudson)
  • Monster Hunter TRI (Capcom)
  • Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Ignition Entertainment / Marvelous / Vanillaware)
  • Okami (Capcom / Clover Studio / Ready at Dawn Studios)
  • One Piece Unlimited Adventure (Bandai Namco / Ganbarion)
  • Opoona (Koei / Arte Piazza / Cattle Call)
  • Phantom Brave: We Meet Again (N1 Soft / System Prisma)
  • Rune Factory Frontier (XSEED Games / Marvelous / Neverland)
  • Sakura Wars: Farewell My Love (N1 Soft / SEGA / Red / Overworks / Idea Factory)
  • Shiren the Wanderer (Atlus / Chunsoft)
  • Spectrobes: Origins (Disney Interactive Studios / Genki)
  • Super Paper Mario (Nintendo / Intelligent Systems)
  • Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (Namco Bandai / Namco Tales Studio)
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo)
  • Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga (XSEED Games / K2)

I can only laugh. Harvest Moon a RPG? rofl rofl

Xen said:

1. Because gamer indifference played a huge part in the success/release/failure.

2. ...and that's exactly why I prefer to offset the examples. High profile. Genuine RPG fan interest can be really measured there, my point is that the whole situation is like that because PAL gamers lack interest in comparison to states gamers. I also gave decent examples of mid to high tier RPG's, nothing niche as hell.

I think you're overestimating the difference between US and European gamers. Different as they are, European gamers have - more recently in fact - shown a lot of interest in these kinds of games. In the case of many games, including Tales of Vesperia, small as the shipments may be they often sell out rather quickly. But I believe few publishers are paying much attention to this and still view Europe as a risky region, be it for promotion or shipping, with the exception of someone like Rising Star Games. If and when these games are given more of a chance in Europe, then we may well see sales blossom further.

As for your second point. High profile, yes, but if anything this shows that there can really be a brighter future for JRPG's in Europe. The lack of interest again comes from a lack of exposure. For far too long now has an increasingly large number of JRPG's skipped a release in European regions, with only the biggest guns apparently being seen as the viable ones (Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, more recently Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter), and more low-key titles being stealth released with no promotion or arriving absurdly late (the most recent Tales games, Persona 4, Star Ocean 4, Chrono Trigger).

I'll give you Lost Odyssey though. That game even had voice overs done for French, German and Italian (or it may have been Spanish)

How technical is your game?

IxisNaugus said:
Xen said:

I think you're overestimating the difference between US and European gamers. Different as they are, European gamers have - more recently in fact - shown a lot of interest in these kinds of games. In the case of many games, including Tales of Vesperia, small as the shipments may be they often sell out rather quickly. But I believe few publishers are paying much attention to this and still view Europe as a risky region, be it for promotion or shipping, with the exception of someone like Rising Star Games. If and when these games are given more of a chance in Europe, then we may well see sales blossom further.

As for your second point. High profile, yes, but if anything this shows that there can really be a brighter future for JRPG's in Europe. The lack of interest again comes from a lack of exposure. For far too long now has an increasingly large number of JRPG's skipped a release in European regions, with only the biggest guns apparently being seen as the viable ones (Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, more recently Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter), and more low-key titles being stealth released with no promotion or arriving absurdly late (the most recent Tales games, Persona 4, Star Ocean 4, Chrono Trigger).

I'll give you Lost Odyssey though. That game even had voice overs done for French, German and Italian (or it may have been Spanish)

Hmm, I think that it is cool to finish this debate on this note. I agree on the "brighter future" part, and that's all that really needs to be said! SO4 didn't really have bad promotion though, even here the game stores had ads, and it's rare that they advertise RPG's at all.

<table style="width: 90%;" border="0"><tr><td><strong>Soriku said:</strong><br /><p>About ToV vs. DotNW sales...I got LTD numbers for them from a GAF user.<br><br>ToV standard edition did 137,473. Limited edition did 6988. Total: 144,461.<br> <br> DotNW did 138,096.<br><br>So VGC is overtracking...and there isn't a whole lot of difference betwen the games.</p></td></tr></table><br /><br />