By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Kinect games sales .... not so hot.

Barozi said:
ArnoldRimmer said:

Harry Potter really is a bad example. As most reviews have pointed out, it's a traditional game ruined by Kinect controls, similar to Joy Ride.

And it's not even a Kinect only title. Titles like EyePet, RE5, Heavy Rain, R.U.S.E., M.A.G. etc. aren't usually considered PS Move-titles are well.

Then you haven't read many reviews.

The normal game is awful, according to reviewers the Kinect parts are the best of the whole game.

Professional reviewers are not to be trusted, when someones main profit comes from ads from the company that the product they are reviewing is made from then theres automatic bias, and who knows want kind of bribes/threats some of these companies give 

Around the Network

The sales for ps3 and ps3 products are always undertracked while 360 is overtracked, this becomes obvious when you read the fiscal reports, 360 looks like it's selling better all through the quarter, fiscal report comes in and Sony is still closing in on the gap, anyways my point is I'm not sure kinect games are selling quite as well as they seem to be and there is no good comparison (move games being under tracked to start with like all ps3 software the heavy rain/Mag/Resisdent evil 4 ect. compatible games as completion for the stand alone move games when kinect games have none of that) at any rate I really hope these games don't see well, they aren't that good, even kinects best games are mediocre, and from what I understand about the tech I don't see them getting much better ever (contrary to popular belief, and I belief that incorrect belief is why kinect is selling, people think it will be able to do so much more when it's already capped out and not that much better then eye toy)

chapset said:

true motion gamers play on the wii, anything else is a fad

I owned Wii for 3 years, only games i used a Wii mote for was Mario Galaxy 1,2, Zack and Wiki and No More Heroes. Every other game (including Mario Kart) i've played with a traditional controller or the wiimote sideways, which lets face it doesn't make the game unique with the Wii mote. Ok, Other M was a little unique, but the only part where you actually used the Wii mote to aim was my least favorite part of the game.

So move has been out for 3 months, Kinect for 1 and both have in my opinion games that use the motion controlls better than the Wii,  i am not saying they have better games, since both only has shovelware, except for the move patched games like Heavy Rain.

No, based on the breakdown of each Kinect costing $56 to manufacture, I am sure MS is making a profit on each Kinect sold. There is a reason so many analysts think MS can lower the price of Kinect to $99 pretty easily in 2011 without blinking...they don't cost much to make.

silicon said:
darklich13 said:
silicon said:

That's not good... since MS needs the software to sell.
Apparently they're losing on every Kinect.

Where did you hear that? From what I heard Kinect cost $56 for Microsoft.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/adrenalinmisfits/news.html?sid=6283956

I read it in a Canadian Business article. Phil Torrone, the man behind getting the open source driver for kinect, said MS likely subsidizes each Kinect. With materials at $56 and after additional costs such as manufacteuring, shipping, margin etc, it may be a net loss for each one sold.

There's no way.  Otherwise they'd be losing an extra $50 on each bundled unit and I just don't see that.  Unless he was talking about the bundled unit in the first place but even then I doubt it.

Microsoft themselves said it was profitable from the outset.

Around the Network

Time will tell, nobody should feel bad if sales continue to be poor though, how many more WiiFit or Dance devices do we really need in the household?

Not so hot? Did anyone expect it to have dozens of million sellers at this point? I know I didn't, we'll see next year whether or not Kinect will be a force to be reckoned with for the remainder of the gen, its just too soon at this point.

mundus6 said:
chapset said:

true motion gamers play on the wii, anything else is a fad

I owned Wii for 3 years, only games i used a Wii mote for was Mario Galaxy 1,2, Zack and Wiki and No More Heroes. Every other game (including Mario Kart) i've played with a traditional controller or the wiimote sideways, which lets face it doesn't make the game unique with the Wii mote. Ok, Other M was a little unique, but the only part where you actually used the Wii mote to aim was my least favorite part of the game.

So move has been out for 3 months, Kinect for 1 and both have in my opinion games that use the motion controlls better than the Wii,  i am not saying they have better games, since both only has shovelware, except for the move patched games like Heavy Rain.

Have you played Red Steel 2, Boom Blox Bash Party, Wii sports resort or Tiger Woods 10/11?  These games are the cream of the crop in terms of using motion.  From general observation I haven't seen any kinect or move games implement motion better than these. There are add-ons for RE5 and Heavy Rain aswell as sports champions, but for the most part I'd say nothing has used motion better than the games I've listed.

I never expected it to beat WII & it will not actually WII has gone to a place that they can't catch anymore, But still it will do well in the end especially the Sport & The dance. But it will be so far away from sport package for WII or Just dance.

BlueRabbit17 said:

Well yeah,the user base is very low at this moment,but i wouldnt expect a huge jump on sales in 2011.It will probably sell a lot less than it is expected since most of the xbox360 userbase doesn't really care about kinect

can you generalise a bit more?

Bet with Conegamer and Doobie_wop 

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3879752