By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official November 2010 NPD Thread

What was the sum to work out US numbers from the Americas numbers again? Was it X 0.83?

As i was just doing some number checking to see how well VGC has been tracking US numbers in comparison to NPD.

Around the Network

he may be speaking about shipped units...

Hyruken said:

What was the sum to work out US numbers from the Americas numbers again? Was it X 0.83?

As i was just doing some number checking to see how well VGC has been tracking US numbers in comparison to NPD.

0.87 but I also see 0.9 sometimes.

pezus said:
postofficebuddy said:

Black Ops (360): 4.9 million

Black Ops (PS3): 3.1 million

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31995/Exclusive_Black_Ops_For_Xbox_360_Sells_Nearly_5_Million_In_US.php

Damn!! Look at the growth for the PS3 version from MW2. Both versions are probably undertracked but the PS3 version is undertracked by a lot!

It's always the PS3 is undertracked with you guys.

Nice chart showing revenue for the month. 360 going strong. 

Around the Network
Edouble24 said:

hot damn!

Barozi said:
Hyruken said:

0.87 but I also see 0.9 sometimes.

Ok cheers :)

Using the X 0.87 then we see some rather interesting PS3 results.

From 3rd jan to 27th of nov Vgchartz has americas as 4.13m PS3 units sold.

Which means 4.13 X 0.87 = 3.593m PS3's sold in US.

However if you look at NPD numbers from the start of the year until nov 27th (most recent NPD) we see they have it at 3.119m PS3's sold in US. A difference of 474k. Meaning in comparison to NPD numbers VGC has PS3 over-tracked by nearly half a million units in US.

What is more interesting is the year over year numbers for the same period.

From jan 4th to 28th november 2009 VGC has PS3 at 3.488m in americas. Meaning 3.034m PS3's in US for same period in 09.  NPD however for the same period have it at 2.98m PS3's.

So year over year VGC has it as

2009 = 3.034m PS3s     2010  = 3.593m PS3's.

A yearly increase of 559k. Or a yearly increase in US by 15%.

However NPD have it very different.

2009 = 2.98m PS3's       2010  = 3.119m PS3s

A yearly increase of 139k. Or a yearly increase in US of 4%.

Which would mean VGC over-tracks the PS3 by 11% in comparison to NPD numbers for the year.

That is a big difference

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6230/npd_behind_the_numbers_november_.php

Chart is from there

Nsanity said:
Edouble24 said:

hot damn!

Oh what you can get away with when you say revenue revenue data is quite literally useless to anyone but the publisher/manufacturer and it's only for their titles/products.  It's like this Wii sells 1m software units at 50  while 360 does 1m units at 60, revenue from the Wii title is 50m dollars, the 360 title brings in 60m dollars and therefore a higher % on a pie chart like that, the only problem? If a title like that cost something like 45 million on the 360 and 11.25 million on Wii, after console makers get their cut, you count expenses like production of discs and shipment, the 360 title breaks even, and the Wii game came out making a mint.

The same can be applied to those months PS3 were sold at a loss, they could have the entire pie, Sony still wasn't doing good business.  So yeah revenue charts, in general, are some of the most useless data you could ever be given, only good to fan some console war flames.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

Hyruken said:

Time to sack kevin Butler and try a new aproach you think?

Exactly what I've been saying. MS and Nintendo spend their ad money actually promoting their games and hardware, Sony spends it mocking the other systems. People are tired of mudslinging, we get enough every election. Kevin Butler might entertain the teenage crowd, but his humor is lost on adults, which is the market they need to catch up on.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com