By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Against the grain: What Nintendo SHOULD have done/should do with the Wii

Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
HappySqurriel said:

I'm of the opinion that Nintendo's need to manage the risk associated with the Wii made it the system it was ...

With that said, neither the HD consoles nor the Wii really represent what I would call a typical console when it comes to processing power. The HD consoles are more powerful than most consoles have been (upon release) and this made them larger, more expensive, and much more energy hungry systems; and the Wii was a less powerful system because Nintendo wanted a smaller, less expensive and more energy efficient system than most consoles have been. Had Nintendo released a more powerful system (4 to 8 times the processing power of the Gamecube) and still focused on 480p I think they would have increased third party support while decreasing the number of potential consumers who complained about graphics.

I know there are those people who think that it not being HD is a major negative, but even 5 years into the generation lacking HD hasn't really hurt the Wii that much; and with that kind of processing power, the Wii could have delivered very nice graphics while maintaining 8x or 16x AA and 8x or 16x AF (which would limit most of the obvious graphical flaws associated with standard definition gaming).

This. However, I have to disagree with you when you say (or imply) that the Wii can't do good looking games. Look at the Galaxies, Epic Yarn, Brawl, Monster Hunter Tri, No More Heroes 2 and many others if you need inspiration!

Lacking HD has made the Wi cheap to develop for. This means a wider variety of games, which means a wider variety of people will play it. Heck, it's tracking nearly 2 years ahead of the PS2 at this point!

I agree with all those games looking good except Monster Hunter tri. That game was so ugly, at least what I saw from it.

Did you even play it, especially online? If you have then you'd be eating your words, it's beautiful...for Standard Definition!

It's beautiful... for standard definition?  It may be a beautiful game in comparison to other 3rd party wii games, but it is still nothing to fall head over heels for. Even then, there are so many better looking wii games, and Monster Hunter tri pales in comparison to most Nintendo made games.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

Around the Network
homer said:
Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
HappySqurriel said:

I'm of the opinion that Nintendo's need to manage the risk associated with the Wii made it the system it was ...

With that said, neither the HD consoles nor the Wii really represent what I would call a typical console when it comes to processing power. The HD consoles are more powerful than most consoles have been (upon release) and this made them larger, more expensive, and much more energy hungry systems; and the Wii was a less powerful system because Nintendo wanted a smaller, less expensive and more energy efficient system than most consoles have been. Had Nintendo released a more powerful system (4 to 8 times the processing power of the Gamecube) and still focused on 480p I think they would have increased third party support while decreasing the number of potential consumers who complained about graphics.

I know there are those people who think that it not being HD is a major negative, but even 5 years into the generation lacking HD hasn't really hurt the Wii that much; and with that kind of processing power, the Wii could have delivered very nice graphics while maintaining 8x or 16x AA and 8x or 16x AF (which would limit most of the obvious graphical flaws associated with standard definition gaming).

This. However, I have to disagree with you when you say (or imply) that the Wii can't do good looking games. Look at the Galaxies, Epic Yarn, Brawl, Monster Hunter Tri, No More Heroes 2 and many others if you need inspiration!

Lacking HD has made the Wi cheap to develop for. This means a wider variety of games, which means a wider variety of people will play it. Heck, it's tracking nearly 2 years ahead of the PS2 at this point!

I agree with all those games looking good except Monster Hunter tri. That game was so ugly, at least what I saw from it.

Did you even play it, especially online? If you have then you'd be eating your words, it's beautiful...for Standard Definition!

It's beautiful... for standard definition?  It may be a beautiful game in comparison to other 3rd party wii games, but it is still nothing to fall head over heels for. Even then, there are so many better looking wii games, and Monster Hunter tri pales in comparison to most Nintendo made games.

Yes, but when it comes to realistic graphics on the Wii and the sheer scale, as well as character design (all the weapons, armour, enemies, characters etc.) you can understand why I, like many others, love the graphics, and more importantly, love the game

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
HappySqurriel said:

Yes, but when it comes to realistic graphics on the Wii and the sheer scale, as well as character design (all the weapons, armour, enemies, characters etc.) you can understand why I, like many others, love the graphics, and more importantly, love the game

I can see why you love the game. It reminds me of PSO for the dreamcast, gamecube, etc., but the graphics are not so good imo. For scale, size, can't say much about the gameplay because I have not played enough of it to make a judgement, and graphics, it is excellent for the wii.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

homer said:
Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
HappySqurriel said:

I can see why you love the game. It reminds me of PSO for the dreamcast, gamecube, etc., but the graphics are not so good imo. For scale, size, can't say much about the gameplay because I have not played enough of it to make a judgement, and graphics, it is excellent for the wii.

When it comes down to size, I've played on it for 300hours plus, and haven't finished it. I know people who've played on it for upwards of 800hours and haven't finished it! 

So yeah, pretty big :P

Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
HappySqurriel said:

When it comes down to size, I've played on it for 300hours plus, and haven't finished it. I know people who've played on it for upwards of 800hours and haven't finished it! 

Is the size of th game huge, or does it reuse levels for different quests? Is it the replayability or the sheer amount of content?

Around the Network
homer said:
Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
HappySqurriel said:

Is the size of th game huge, or does it reuse levels for different quests? Is it the replayability or the sheer amount of content?

I've only killed 33/35 monsters, so...

But yeah, there is a bit of repetition towards the end, but since each monster acts differently, they're never the same, so it doesn't FEEL repetitive...

homer said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Antabus said:
Conegamer said:
Antabus said:
Bobbuffalo said:
homer said:

I disagree. Sony has shown how talented their 1st party developers are this gen. In fact I may be so bold to say that in terms of quality, they have at least matched Nintendo and maybe even exceeded them.

You gotta be kidding me.

Uncharted, GT5, LBP. Modracerds whatever...good games? sure why not but all of them doesn't have a candle against nintendo.

Neither uncharted, nor ratchet and clank nor LBP nor Killzone nor GT5 nor Modracers have atracted new gamers nor pushed hardware. Those games just sell to Sony fans while NSMBWii, Mario Kart, Zelda and the Wii-XX line sell to everybody. Not for nothing those games keep selling while the others don't. Have you seen ordes of non-gamers, elapsed gamers and old gamers along with the core gamers rushing to the stores to buy LBP or modracers? HAH!

And no my dear is has nothing to do with brand power. Many games by Nintendo with their mascots have failed on sales and popularity. Is simply one thing:experience.

Nintendo has years of experience making games, using technology as a mean and not the end (wii sports, wii fit= while sony just pushes games to take advantage of technology. (GT5, Move)

Keep loving your Sony FP games but don't mix apples with watermelons. Keep it real.

Uncharted and GT5 alone > everything nintendo has to offer

Galaxy games>everything Sony have to offer.

Your point being?

That your opinion is wrong. You know, like bob the buffalo acts.

Home presented an opinion as fact. So why are you going off on another user for calling that out?

lol. Obviously, I could not prove Sony's games are better than Nintendo's, and vice versa. If anyone presented an opinion as a fact it would be Bobbuffalo who claimed "all of them doesn't have a candle against nintendo." In retrospective, it possibly was not wise for me to put the phrase "in fact" seeing as it has made someone think I was meaning something I was not. Also, who called me out for that?

And guess who got banned for this... :D Awesome.

Antabus said:
homer said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Antabus said:
Conegamer said:
Antabus said:
Bobbuffalo said:
homer said:

I disagree. Sony has shown how talented their 1st party developers are this gen. In fact I may be so bold to say that in terms of quality, they have at least matched Nintendo and maybe even exceeded them.

You gotta be kidding me.

Uncharted, GT5, LBP. Modracerds whatever...good games? sure why not but all of them doesn't have a candle against nintendo.

Neither uncharted, nor ratchet and clank nor LBP nor Killzone nor GT5 nor Modracers have atracted new gamers nor pushed hardware. Those games just sell to Sony fans while NSMBWii, Mario Kart, Zelda and the Wii-XX line sell to everybody. Not for nothing those games keep selling while the others don't. Have you seen ordes of non-gamers, elapsed gamers and old gamers along with the core gamers rushing to the stores to buy LBP or modracers? HAH!

And no my dear is has nothing to do with brand power. Many games by Nintendo with their mascots have failed on sales and popularity. Is simply one thing:experience.

Nintendo has years of experience making games, using technology as a mean and not the end (wii sports, wii fit= while sony just pushes games to take advantage of technology. (GT5, Move)

Keep loving your Sony FP games but don't mix apples with watermelons. Keep it real.

Uncharted and GT5 alone > everything nintendo has to offer

Galaxy games>everything Sony have to offer.

Your point being?

That your opinion is wrong. You know, like bob the buffalo acts.

Home presented an opinion as fact. So why are you going off on another user for calling that out?

lol. Obviously, I could not prove Sony's games are better than Nintendo's, and vice versa. If anyone presented an opinion as a fact it would be Bobbuffalo who claimed "all of them doesn't have a candle against nintendo." In retrospective, it possibly was not wise for me to put the phrase "in fact" seeing as it has made someone think I was meaning something I was not. Also, who called me out for that?

And guess who got banned for this... Awesome.

I'm glad to see you're back anyway, however, it was more for "de-railing" the thread in the first place, not really your comments I don't think

Conegamer said:
Antabus said:

And guess who got banned for this... Awesome.

I'm glad to see you're back anyway, however, it was more for "de-railing" the thread in the first place, not really your comments I don't think

Well I was not the one who originally derailed the thread. :P But I hope you got my point. I don't want to really disrespect other people's opinions, I was just pointing out someone else's behaviour. :P

Nintendo needs to have a new console ready for Holiday 2012 -- to be shows at E3 2012.

It will need HD and motion controls -- obviously. But it will need something else new as well. My guess is biometrics. The vitality sensor is a precursor for it. Imagine something along the lines of the bio sensors in EA Active 2. Now imagine that being incorporated into an action game or horror game. The total immersion possibilities are endless.

Just remember though that Nintendo does not do technology that people are not ready for or that will make their consoles too expensive. That's why there was no HD in 2006 (too costly and still only about a 50% penetration in the US). That's why there is no DVD playback (people use DVD players for that).  These are game machines and will continue to be game machines.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV