By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Against the grain: What Nintendo SHOULD have done/should do with the Wii

Antabus said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Antabus said:

Fact, where? He stated his opinion. Buffalo-bob attacked his opinion. How am i going off..?

See the words "In fact" in the very first reply in this quote train? Trust me, that is presenting an opinion as fact.

He said that in fact he can be so bold, not that it is a fact.

Let's assume he meant that. The statement wasn't totally clear, so don't blame others for seeing another meaning when the statment leaves room for that.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Bobbuffalo said:
homer said:
Bobbuffalo said:
homer said:
Conegamer said:
RolStoppable said:

Nintendo should have continued to go down the road they were on when launching the Wii instead of leaving it midway. Nintendo killed the momentum of their console with Wii Music, a game that isn't really a game and more of a creative tool. What's the point of playing a music game, if the player himself rates his performance? The vast majority will see it as pointless, if everyone can get the best grade with ease. The best selling video games are all about challenge and Wii Music goes completely against this idea.

The Wii became as big as it was due to a chain of real killer applications. Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii and then the chain broke with Wii Music. 2008 should have had New Super Mario Bros. Wii as the big holiday title, because then the Wii would have continued to be sold out in America throughout 2009 with Wii Sports Resort, Wii Fit Plus and throw in DKCR to run no risk to lose any momentum going into 2010.

The only real chance Nintendo had to get serious third party support was to continuously destroy the HD consoles in the sales race and they messed it up. Moneyhatting isn't really an option, because even Microsoft's money could only get them so far.

They didn't really mes it up though did they? It outsold everyone's predictions, by a long way, but the fact is, the "killer apps" which you mentioned above were all that were really needed to keep the Wii's momentum. That is something the HD consoles don't have; a steady stream of killer 1st party games, which is why there's such a "cult" following for Nintendo games!

I disagree. Sony has shown how talented their 1st party developers are this gen. In fact I may be so bold to say that in terms of quality, they have at least matched Nintendo and maybe even exceeded them.

You gotta be kidding me.

Uncharted, GT5, LBP. Modracerds whatever...good games? sure why not but all of them doesn't have a candle against nintendo.

Neither uncharted, nor ratchet and clank nor LBP nor Killzone nor GT5 nor Modracers have atracted new gamers nor pushed hardware. Those games just sell to Sony fans while NSMBWii, Mario Kart, Zelda and the Wii-XX line sell to everybody. Not for nothing those games keep selling while the others don't. Have you seen ordes of non-gamers, elapsed gamers and old gamers along with the core gamers rushing to the stores to buy LBP or modracers? HAH!

And no my dear is has nothing to do with brand power. Many games by Nintendo with their mascots have failed on sales and popularity. Is simply one thing:experience.

Nintendo has years of experience making games, using technology as a mean and not the end (wii sports, wii fit= while sony just pushes games to take advantage of technology. (GT5, Move)

Keep loving your Sony FP games but don't mix apples with watermelons. Keep it real.

Lol.  Uncharted 2 does hold its own with nintendo and is better than any wii game I have ever played. So what if a game sells to a specific audience, they are still extremely well crafted. I seriously doubt you have ever played  any of the ps3 games you listed. Prove me wrong, friend me on psn if you even have a ps3. My psn account is power_hungryfool. If you want this to erupt into a list wars, I would be happy to oblige, to show you all the games that are extremely well crafted by sony for the ps3. Who cares if some developers that make games for the ps3 lack as much experience as the nintendo ones, they still make games that are equal to or even greater than nintendo's. Perhaps the sony devs have something just as important as experience, talent.(not to say Nintendo doesn't also have talent) Seems like you are the only one who is not keeping it real.

Oh I did played them, but I don't have a PS3. My brother had it until he sold it for an xbox360. I dunno why if i sthe same thing? I guess he wanted to be with the cool dudes.

Yes they are very well crafted. So what? They are just limited to an audience (PS fans) while Nintendo tries to reach the rest. Uncharted was OK. Like a Tomb raider with a dude and more action.  I fall asleep with GT and never find anything interesting about LBP. The graphics were awesome but only geeks and kids drool over graphics.

And I am pretty sure they have talent. Saddly is not working and their sales are not high....maybe they are not THAT talented in the end?

*shrugs*  Fact is Nintendo games last in the memory for generations because that's the goal. while Sony games just last a little. Remember Blasto? Medievil? Jumping Flash?

Sounds like a fishy story but I will trust you. Who cares if they will not last as long as Nintendo characters. As long as they are well crafted, and they keep producing amazing ips, I will be set. The reason they probably do not last though, is because they actually have a plot. With Mario, you can just come up with a clever gimmick, slap on some good level design, and sell it. That is not the case with majority of games made by sony. Believe it or not, graphics do matter to a lot of gamers making it important. You may see some games graphics sufficient, but they would have been better, if they had better graphics.That is not to say you need realistic character models, seeing as Mario would not work with that realistic of character models. If you thought UC2 was just ok, I think it is safe to assume you do not like any 3rd person shooters. Also, if you claim you have never found something interesting in LBP it shows that you have never played it or you are the pickiest gamer I have ever met. Why are you so quick to forget games made by Nintendo such as Star Tropics, Tin-star, and Marvelous? Obviously, if they do not have  sequels every gen, they will eventually become obscure to the majority, but is that a bad thing?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

LordTheNightKnight said:
Antabus said:
Conegamer said:
Antabus said:
Bobbuffalo said:
homer said:

I disagree. Sony has shown how talented their 1st party developers are this gen. In fact I may be so bold to say that in terms of quality, they have at least matched Nintendo and maybe even exceeded them.

You gotta be kidding me.

Uncharted, GT5, LBP. Modracerds whatever...good games? sure why not but all of them doesn't have a candle against nintendo.

Neither uncharted, nor ratchet and clank nor LBP nor Killzone nor GT5 nor Modracers have atracted new gamers nor pushed hardware. Those games just sell to Sony fans while NSMBWii, Mario Kart, Zelda and the Wii-XX line sell to everybody. Not for nothing those games keep selling while the others don't. Have you seen ordes of non-gamers, elapsed gamers and old gamers along with the core gamers rushing to the stores to buy LBP or modracers? HAH!

And no my dear is has nothing to do with brand power. Many games by Nintendo with their mascots have failed on sales and popularity. Is simply one thing:experience.

Nintendo has years of experience making games, using technology as a mean and not the end (wii sports, wii fit= while sony just pushes games to take advantage of technology. (GT5, Move)

Keep loving your Sony FP games but don't mix apples with watermelons. Keep it real.

Uncharted and GT5 alone > everything nintendo has to offer

Galaxy games>everything Sony have to offer.

Your point being?

That your opinion is wrong. You know, like bob the buffalo acts.

Home presented an opinion as fact. So why are you going off on another user for calling that out?

lol. Obviously, I could not prove Sony's games are better than Nintendo's, and vice versa. If anyone presented an opinion as a fact it would be Bobbuffalo who claimed "all of them doesn't have a candle against nintendo." In retrospective, it possibly was not wise for me to put the phrase "in fact" seeing as it has made someone think I was meaning something I was not. Also, who called me out for that?

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." -My good friend Mark Aurelius

homer said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Antabus said:
Conegamer said:
Antabus said:
Bobbuffalo said:
homer said:

You gotta be kidding me.

Your point being?

Home presented an opinion as fact. So why are you going off on another user for calling that out?

lol. Obviously, I could not prove Sony's games are better than Nintendo's, and vice versa. If anyone presented an opinion as a fact it would be Bobbuffalo who claimed "all of them doesn't have a candle against nintendo." In retrospective, it possibly was not wise for me to put the phrase "in fact" seeing as it has made someone think I was meaning something I was not. Also, who called me out for that?

1. I've learned that some phrases have to be very carefully stated, just for the sake of making sure you write it properly.

2. I think I meant bobbuffalo calling you out, but he might have made the same interpretation if your comment I made.

Anyway, as you were just stating an opinion, then okay.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

homer said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Antabus said:
Conegamer said:
Antabus said:
Bobbuffalo said:
homer said:

You gotta be kidding me.

Your point being?

Yeah, I may have been a bit too obstructive, but I thought we had agreed that both consoles had their strengths and weaknesses?

Also, WHO IS BUFFALO BOB!!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

So yeah, this thread seems to have de-railed slightly. Save it all for my next thread please!

OT: Once again Nintendo gets a Million-plus week with the Wii, staying relatively flat with last week, whereas the other consoles dropped like a stone! (Stone is harsh. They all sold really well!) 

The media really need to check the pattern. Heck, even now the Wii has outsold the competitors this yearr from 2-3mil each, and no doubt this gap will extend to beyond 4 mil by years end!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

homer said:
jarrod said:

homer said:

What puzzle games does nintendo have this gen for the wii btw? Same with rpgs? Shooters? 

Well, I was considering all platforms really.  But for just Wii...

RPG

• Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blazing/Lightning/Stormy Adventure Squad
  • Super Paper Mario
  • The Last Story
  • Xenoblade

Shooting

• Eco Shooter: Plant 530
  • Link's Crossbow Training
  • Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Puzzle

• Art Style: Cubello
  • Art Style: Orbient
  • Art Style: Rotohex
  • Art Style: Rotozoa
  • Bonsai Barber
  • Dr. Mario Online RX
  • Fluidity
  • MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade
  • Magnetica Twist
  • thruSpace
  • Wii Chess
  • You, Me and the Cubes

I thought you refering to shooters in general (including fps, tps, etc.) at which I would have listed more but just off the top of my head.

Pixeljunk Shooters

Pixeljunk shooters 2

The shoot (notice how they all have some form of the word shoot in them lol)

I also forgot about downloadable titles such as the art style series.

As for puzzle games, sony has made great ones such as Echocrome and several other titles(that I have no idea what they're appropriate genre would be) such as Comet crash, fat princess, and flower.

Let me stop you right there, the PixelJunk are amazingly awesome, but they're also 100% 3rd party. Sony doesn't develop the games (Q-Games does) or own the IP (again, Q-Games does), they just publish the games outside Japan and have an exclusivity arrangement.  If by that standard PixelJunk is 1st party, then Dragon Quest IX is a 1st party Nintendo game. ;)

As for "shooters", I tend to make a distinction between fps/tps (which are really derived from action games) and more classic shmups (from which rail shooters and gun games are derived)... which is why I already gave the edge to Sony on fps/tps earlier.

As for other games, I'd say Flower is legitimately hard to classify (probably an action game), Fat Princess is a straight up RTS (so strategy) and Comet Crash is tower defense (also strategy).  None of them are really puzzle games.

jarrod said:
homer said:
jarrod said:

homer said:

What puzzle games does nintendo have this gen for the wii btw? Same with rpgs? Shooters? 

Well, I was considering all platforms really.  But for just Wii...

RPG

• Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blazing/Lightning/Stormy Adventure Squad
  • Super Paper Mario
  • The Last Story
  • Xenoblade

Shooting

• Eco Shooter: Plant 530
  • Link's Crossbow Training
  • Sin & Punishment: Star Successor

Puzzle

• Art Style: Cubello
  • Art Style: Orbient
  • Art Style: Rotohex
  • Art Style: Rotozoa
  • Bonsai Barber
  • Dr. Mario Online RX
  • Fluidity
  • MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade
  • Magnetica Twist
  • thruSpace
  • Wii Chess
  • You, Me and the Cubes

I thought you refering to shooters in general (including fps, tps, etc.) at which I would have listed more but just off the top of my head.

Pixeljunk Shooters

Pixeljunk shooters 2

The shoot (notice how they all have some form of the word shoot in them lol)

I also forgot about downloadable titles such as the art style series.

As for puzzle games, sony has made great ones such as Echocrome and several other titles(that I have no idea what they're appropriate genre would be) such as Comet crash, fat princess, and flower.

Let me stop you right there, the PixelJunk are amazingly awesome, but they're also 100% 3rd party. Sony doesn't develop the games (Q-Games does) or own the IP (again, Q-Games does), they just publish the games outside Japan and have an exclusivity arrangement.  If by that standard PixelJunk is 1st party, then Dragon Quest IX is a 1st party Nintendo game. ;)

As for "shooters", I tend to make a distinction between fps/tps (which are really derived from action games) and more classic shmups (from which rail shooters and gun games are derived)... which is why I already gave the edge to Sony on fps/tps earlier.

As for other games, I'd say Flower is legitimately hard to classify (probably an action game), Fat Princess is a straight up RTS (so strategy) and Comet Crash is tower defense (also strategy).  None of them are really puzzle games.

I was not aware that the pixeljunk series was  3rd party. I waqs under the inpression it was developed by titan studios for some reason. As for puzzle, I can only think of echochrome.

homer said:

I was not aware that the pixeljunk series was  3rd party. I waqs under the inpression it was developed by titan studios for some reason. As for puzzle, I can only think of echochrome.

Well, there's also Trash Panic... I'm not super familiar with PSN, but I'd guess there are more?

Kinda sad imo, as Sony used to be really, really great with puzzle games.  The Xai (ie: Devil Dice) and Intelligent Qube games are some of the best ever imo.  Hell, I even kinda loved Fantavision... Japan Studio should really be doing PSN sequels to all of these.

Conegamer said:

Also, WHO IS BUFFALO BOB!!

yeah?