By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 (America) sales compared to GT4 and GT3

Michael-5 said:
Immortal said:
Mummelmann said:

Judging a GT title by first week sales. Congratulations!

Word you're looking for is comparing. Nobody's saying "it opened to 2m so it'll sell 5m". They're saying "it opened to less than other GTs so it'll do less than other GTs". There is absolutely no reason to believe that this will have significantly larger legs than other GTs (there is much reason to believe that it'll have much smaller legs on the other hand) so the "Gran Turismo" characteristic cancels out in the comparison.

He could just mean congratulations that GT5 is still selling reasonably well considering the different in software selling power between the PS1/PS2 and PS3.

Really? By the nature of his post, I presumed that he was mocking the thread for trying to predict the game's future sales by looking at its first week, which I argued against.

Besides, many on here believe that GT5 can sell as much as the other GTs regardless of the PS3's significantly smaller userbase, which is quite ridiculous.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Around the Network
stopstopp said:
Michael-5 said:

Even if you reduce GT3 America sales from 7 million to 2-3 million, it still sold within average for prior GT games, and it launched on a smaller user base. User base areguments are meaningless outside the Mushroom Kingdom.

Good thing I don't believe in 1st party PS3 user base arguments (lol i'm a grammar nazi)

Oh I was about to fall asleep when I typed that.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Immortal said:
Michael-5 said:
Immortal said:
Mummelmann said:

Word you're looking for is comparing. Nobody's saying "it opened to 2m so it'll sell 5m". They're saying "it opened to less than other GTs so it'll do less than other GTs". There is absolutely no reason to believe that this will have significantly larger legs than other GTs (there is much reason to believe that it'll have much smaller legs on the other hand) so the "Gran Turismo" characteristic cancels out in the comparison.

He could just mean congratulations that GT5 is still selling reasonably well considering the different in software selling power between the PS1/PS2 and PS3.

Really? By the nature of his post, I presumed that he was mocking the thread for trying to predict the game's future sales by looking at its first week, which I argued against.

Besides, many on here believe that GT5 can sell as much as the other GTs regardless of the PS3's significantly smaller userbase, which is quite ridiculous.

Thats the flaw of forums. Text goesn't reflect tone, I've made the same mistake you have in the past before as well.

The game could sell 9-11 million, which is avergae for GT, it's not impossible. I feel between 7-10 personally. IMO reviews are more important then user base, take Halo 3 vs. Reach for example.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Michael-5 said:
Immortal said:
Michael-5 said:
Immortal said:
Mummelmann said:

Thats the flaw of forums. Text goesn't reflect tone, I've made the same mistake you have in the past before as well.

The game could sell 9-11 million, which is avergae for GT, it's not impossible. I feel between 7-10 personally. IMO reviews are more important then user base, take Halo 3 vs. Reach for example.

xD, it's confusing.

Anyway, I really don't think it can hit 9-11m now. Not a hater or anything, but after the lower than expected FW, pathetic second week in Japan, etc. despite a holiday launch, I really can't see it having good legs. 7-9m seems about right.

Also, I doubt that Reach is falling behind because of reviews. Fans wouldn't care for them if the game is a good one in the series (which I'm guessing it is) and others really don't see the difference between 91 and 94 on Metacritic.

The userbase at the time does not matter (H3 launches to 15m base, HR launches to 45m), but the overall base does matter for games like this. Halo and Gran Turismo are meant to be the definition of their console's experience; they should be bought by the people who already have the console and those who are going to buy the system some time in the future. Therefore, if the PS3 only reaches a base of 75m versus PS2's 150m, it's going to hurt GT5's sales. When you're talking about smaller franchises, on the other hand, (many that sold better on PS3 than PS2), they do not need to be constant sellers so userbase doesn't really matter.

“These are my principles; if you don’t like them, I have others.” – Groucho Marx

Оk guys are VGChartz accurate.Cause they say 2.9 GT5 up to 4 Dec.And Sony says 5.5 for the first 13 days.And I see NPD charts seemes to have some differences too.

Around the Network
Immortal said:
Michael-5 said:

xD, it's confusing.

Anyway, I really don't think it can hit 9-11m now. Not a hater or anything, but after the lower than expected FW, pathetic second week in Japan, etc. despite a holiday launch, I really can't see it having good legs. 7-9m seems about right.

Also, I doubt that Reach is falling behind because of reviews. Fans wouldn't care for them if the game is a good one in the series (which I'm guessing it is) and others really don't see the difference between 91 and 94 on Metacritic.

The userbase at the time does not matter (H3 launches to 15m base, HR launches to 45m), but the overall base does matter for games like this. Halo and Gran Turismo are meant to be the definition of their console's experience; they should be bought by the people who already have the console and those who are going to buy the system some time in the future. Therefore, if the PS3 only reaches a base of 75m versus PS2's 150m, it's going to hurt GT5's sales. When you're talking about smaller franchises, on the other hand, (many that sold better on PS3 than PS2), they do not need to be constant sellers so userbase doesn't really matter.

Oh Reach will likely outsell Halo 3, unless Halo 4, or a Halo remake (343 Studios said they would make a Halo every year), cut off sales. My point was that the user base is 3x as large now, and Reach is only selling marginally better then Halo 3 on a weekly basis. The difference my only be 3 points, but some websites I trust gave Halo 3 a 9.8, and Reach a 9.3. Thats a difference, above 9.5 is like Holy land, few games score that well. Also back when Halo 3 was released, it was the best HD game, period. There was no Killzone, Uncharted 1 and Resistance 1 were only good, nothing special, Modern Warfare didn't jump CoD yet, and Gears just further encouraged 360 and Halo sales.

That last point you make, I'm not sure if I agree. Maybe it works for GT because GT4 and GT2 are essentially GT1 and GT3 with more tracks and cars, but for Halo I just don't see it. I don't think total base matters, Halo 3 made most of its sales within the first year after release, the rest is just trailing. Gears of War 1 for example has only grown 500k in the last 2 years, and thats a tradmark 360 game too. Most Shooters show really strong sales the first holiday season, and then modest sales the next, but after that they just trail, where racers like GT sell at a constant slow rate for years. GT5 will still sell even if a PS3 GT6 comes out because a lot of casual gamers will still pick it up, just getting a good cheap (if GT6 is out) car sim, not knowing much about cars.

germibobi said:

Оk guys are VGChartz accurate.Cause they say 2.9 GT5 up to 4 Dec.And Sony says 5.5 for the first 13 days.And I see NPD charts seemes to have some differences too.

Sony sold 5.5 million to retailers. That means 5.5 million shiped, which backs up VGC data. VGC data is only meant to provide an estimate, and they are pretty accurate, differences with NDP are usually under 10%, and once NDP releases their data, VGC adjusts their data to match NDP, as NDP reflects actual counted sales.

Well, after GT5's 2nd week EMEAA sales didn't do as well GT4's 2nd week EMEAA sales, GT5 did very well in EMEAA in week 3.  GT5 sold 480k in EMEAA for week 3 compared to GT4's 3rd week EMEAA which was 290k.  GT5 is considerable outpacing GT4 in EMEAA, but GT5 also has the holiday to help boost sales.

Hopefully, GT5 can keep pace here in the US.  I still see lots of GT5 commercials on TV, but too bad, the game wasn't hyped enough on TV prior to release.   I think GT5 lost out on lots of sales in the US because of that.