By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Gran Turismo 5 (America) sales compared to GT4 and GT3

Darth Tigris said:
ethomaz said:
aznable said:

no1 is considering that gt4 have been released in february/march and gt5 in november?

no2 is considering the user base?

That's not really the same.  User base has proven to not matter much when it comes to sales, particularly this gen (see MGS3 vs MGS4, GoW2 vs GoW3, GeoW vs GeoW2, etc).

But releasing a big game during the holiday season vs late winter/early spring DOES matter.  A huge holiday release will always have larger initial sales numbers.

Yes, but releasing a game in the holidays does not necessarily mean higher lifetime sales. Mass Effect 2 is a perfect example of this, and I'm sure LBP2 and Dead Space 2 will also do the same.

This is why I expect GT5 to fall short of GT4 sales, wuite noticably too. Not only is it selling less week 1, despite black friday in US, and Holiday sales boosting stutus, but week 2 in EMEAA and Japan are A LOT weaker then week 2 for GT4.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
Michael-5 said:
Darth Tigris said:
ethomaz said:
aznable said:

no1 is considering that gt4 have been released in february/march and gt5 in november?

That's not really the same.  User base has proven to not matter much when it comes to sales, particularly this gen (see MGS3 vs MGS4, GoW2 vs GoW3, GeoW vs GeoW2, etc).

But releasing a big game during the holiday season vs late winter/early spring DOES matter.  A huge holiday release will always have larger initial sales numbers.

Yes, but releasing a game in the holidays does not necessarily mean higher lifetime sales. Mass Effect 2 is a perfect example of this, and I'm sure LBP2 and Dead Space 2 will also do the same.

This is why I expect GT5 to fall short of GT4 sales, wuite noticably too. Not only is it selling less week 1, despite black friday in US, and Holiday sales boosting stutus, but week 2 in EMEAA and Japan are A LOT weaker then week 2 for GT4.

Agree with everything you said.

Also another factor will be it is unlikely they will wait 5-6 years for the next GT game. I imagine we will have GT6 in a couple of years. Soon as that comes out it will kill off a lot of sales for GT5 as naturally people buy the new one over the old one.

Michael-5 said:
Darth Tigris said:
ethomaz said:
aznable said:

Mass Effect 2 released January 26th not during the holidays.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
Michael-5 said:
Darth Tigris said:
ethomaz said:
aznable said:

Mass Effect 2 released January 26th not during the holidays.

and in a couple weeks it will outsell Mass Effect 1 which did sell in the holidays right? Releasing games in the holidays well increase initial sales, but not lifetime. Mess Effect 2 was may example of that.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

Around the Network
Hyruken said:

Also another factor will be it is unlikely they will wait 5-6 years for the next GT game. I imagine we will have GT6 in a couple of years. Soon as that comes out it will kill off a lot of sales for GT5 as naturally people buy the new one over the old one.

Yes that true, people may also argue that GT4 came out only a year and a half before PS3 was released, but there is a lot of evidence that support the PS4 comming out in 2012 or 2013, so dactor basically affects boths games evenly.

Darth Tigris said:
Michael-5 said:
Darth Tigris said:
ethomaz said:
aznable said:

Agree with everything you said.

YEY!!! I'm so happy!!! No silly debate!!!

GT5's sales were terrible, Sony fans here should have kept their mouth shut when it came to predicting its sales, what were they like 10 million?

It only did 65,000 in Japan this week, itll never reach 1 million there now.

DemOps said:

GT5's sales were terrible, Sony fans here should have kept their mouth shut when it came to predicting its sales, what were they like 10 million?

It only did 65,000 in Japan this week, itll never reach 1 million there now.

Id say people lacking common sense should keep their mouth shut.  2 freaking million is terrible, most games can't even dream of doing 2m life time.  GT5 did 2m on a botched launch. 

GT5 will get Japan sales through bundles, most knew that already.

Sorry... wrong post.