By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Price Cut in 2011?

Wii Price Cut in 2011?

Yes 121 87.05%

No 18 12.95%

Total:139

So I wanted to get people's opinion on this, so Far Wii has had one price cut since launch, so the question is, will Wii get a price cut in 2011, or will it hold at its current price?

Around the Network

I can almost guarantee a price cut of say 25$ by the end of 2011. Nintendo will not cut the price if hardware manages to sell stronger then PS3/360 but it won't. I'd say also because Zelda is being released in early 2011 their won't be a price cut untill fall/winter 2011. Reason for the price cut will be obvious as hardware sales will be tracking way lower then previous years.

Unless Nintendo has an ace they haven't unvieled yet. However with Zelda launching in early 2011 and the 3DS. Not to mention the fact that Nintendo has milked Mario to much this generation and Donkey Kong, Kirby and all of Nintendo other major franchises released it leaves Nintendo little left to offer in late 2011.

Now a new StarFox, F-Zero or even the rumoured/talked about possibility of Ice Climbers may make a price cut less likely.

However I would say I am 80% positive their will be a price cut for the Wii next winter. Don't expect over 50$ though I bet Nintendo will only trim about 25$

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

All three consoles will have a price next year.

So yes that means the Wii will have a price cut.

In fact all 5 consoles will have prices.

Home Consoles being the main.

Handhelds getting price cuts due to 3DS and PSP2.

I think all current gen platforms will have price cuts next year.

I think Nintendo should time the price cut to be in the middle of the year, where both this year and last year sales suffered slightly, as we have just seen the Wii sells shitloads during the run up to Christmas.

Of course it will, by the end of Q2 I don't think they'll have much choice in the matter. The other two will also cut their price again.

Around the Network

If Nintendo plans on riding this thing out long term, I'm talking 2-3 more years, I really feel they should hold off on the price cut. They will have Zelda, Vitality Sensor, and Pikmin 3, as well as the natural boost for next holiday to keep Wii sales chugging along decently. But if they plan on releasing a new console in 2011 or 2012, then I think next year is the right time for a price cut to get some more Wiis sold in a hurry before its life is cut off.

its in the middle for me, because i still believe Nintendo can hold off for 2012 by just making different bundles... but they can cut $20USD, $50 isn't needed 

Yes i think Nintendo will do another $50 holiday price cut, so the Wii will be $149 in November, otherwise it will struggle to compete against PS3 and 360 which are also due for price cuts. Its also worth noting that a price cut would help offset sales falling YoY which is likely to happen if Nintendo's first party development shifts from the Wii to the 3DS.

That's likely, although some bundling or new colors may be enough till xmas.

Wii @ 150$ will cause some damage.

Well, I think Zelda and everything from the holidays will keep the Wii at good levels during Q1 and Q2. If the price cut happensit will be between Q3 and Q4, but if Nintendo has a good E3 lineup I believe it won't be needed.

Above: still the best game of the year.