By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Price Cut in 2011?

Wii Price Cut in 2011?

Yes 121 87.05%

No 18 12.95%

Total:139
Beuli2 said:
BoneArk said:

I say yes, I think around a $25-$50 price cut and they need to compete with the 3DS as well.

Why in heavens would a console compete with a handheld? What's next? Refrigerators competing with Televisions?

We still don't know the price of the 3DS yet. If the 3DS is $199 (same price as the Wii), some people might want a 3DS than a Wii.

Around the Network
BoneArk said:
Beuli2 said:
BoneArk said:

I say yes, I think around a $25-$50 price cut and they need to compete with the 3DS as well.

Why in heavens would a console compete with a handheld? What's next? Refrigerators competing with Televisions?

We still don't know the price of the 3DS yet. If the 3DS is $199 (same price as the Wii), some people might want a 3DS than a Wii.

You ignored my next sentence. Home console and handhelds have different purposes.

Above: still the best game of the year.

I think it won't. I would say they're releasing the next Wii in 2012 or thereabouts so they may as well let the Wii wind down at its current price point.

Tease.

Yes, actually Wii already had a price cut since you can find it for 179€ and the official price should be 199. Next year it'll drop officially to 150€ and you'll be able to find it even for less (some stores are selling it for 149€ right now in Italy!). Beginning of 2012 = Wii 2.

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Xenoblade (Wii), Super mario 3D land (3DS), Guild Wars (PC)

It is hard to know.  It really depends on how much profit they are making per console.   From a profitabilty standpoint, they may be better off keeping the price high.  Their install base is so high the margin share gains probably don't mean much.

Around the Network

After the end of NIntendo's fiscal year. By between $20 and $50 (in the US).

And it could be down to $179 in April, then $149 in September. 

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Yes, around summer at the same time with the Vitality Sensor. Maybe, Wii bundles with Wii Vitality Sensor for $200.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Most major outlets throughout Europe already sell the Wii at lower prices. Depending on the colour (White, black or red) and the software bundle you can find the Wii as low as 149 euro, new not used.

I feel that bundles appeal better to parents buying the Wii for their kids as it saves them the hassle of looking around for games. It also moves software which is alwas good.

Not before E3. We already know they should release Zelda in the first semester and this alone should be enough to keep the interest for the first six months. However, we have little idea of what they are cooking for showing at E3. We may expect they will please the RPG crowd with Last Story and Xenoblade but they are keeping all other titles under development very close. If they don't have something that can create a big impact to the second semester, then I think they might have a price cut. Also, they will surely cut it if they announce the Wii successor at E3, but I doubt they will do it.

Monteblanco said:

Not before E3. We already know they should release Zelda in the first semester and this alone should be enough to keep the interest for the first six months. However, we have little idea of what they are cooking for showing at E3. We may expect they will please the RPG crowd with Last Story and Xenoblade but they are keeping all other titles under development very close. If they don't have something that can create a big impact to the second semester, then I think they might have a price cut. Also, they will surely cut it if they announce the Wii successor at E3, but I doubt they will do it.

I seriously doubt they'll announce the Wii successor in 2011, especially after the successful holiday sales, 2012 is the earliest I can see the Wii successor being released

Plus Wii can price cut at least $100 more before launching a successor, so that's probably 2 price cuts, one next year and one in 2012 or 2013