By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - FIFA World Cup 2018 & 2022 host nations announced.

PullusPardus said:
ProdigyBam said:

World Cup in

- a country that forbids alcohol (yeah football without alcohol)

- a country where are only 1 million people (dont know where 2 million more want to stay)

- a country where in summer its as hot as 45-50 ° celsius (dont know how the teams and visitiers want to survive that)

- a country which football team never made it to a worldcup and nobody knows the players

- a country where women are oppressed (football without women?)

= EPIC fail

really good decision fifa... meh :/

but congratulations to russia :D

-i guess everyone is going to melt before finishing the match, i mean teams never ever went outside to sweat in their homelands (did you know south africa is hotter than qatar?)

-how many times did USA and Russia win the world cup again ?

Ok, now his post was stupid and I think Qatar has the money to pull off a decent tournament, but these points are equally stupid.

- All teams suffer if the temperature is too hot. Athletes are not at their best and the quality of football suffers. Also, South Africa was actually very cold when the World Cup was on.

- They at least qualify for the world cup and are competitive. Qatar is effectively taking a place in the world cup finals over a better and more deserving team.

Around the Network
Lostplanet22 said:
kowenicki said:
Lostplanet22 said:

Someone should toss kowenicki's salad =p....J/K....

Anyway the temperature in Russia in the summer is okay..Even in Siberia 20°- 30° is not abonormal..

Qatar to hot?  Qatar is one of those countries where the sun goes down around 18-19 o' Clock..and the temperature aswell 20-30°...(In the summer)..

Complaining about the climate in those countries is just the same like the people who complained that the 2012 Olympics will be horrible because it is going to rain whole the time...X_X...

June average temps are between 25 (middle of the night) and 40  (AVERAGE)

Hmm and Qatar tourims says: 

According to Qatar's Tourism Authority, temperatures during the summer range from 38 degrees Celsius [100.4 degrees F] to 42 degrees Celsius [107.6 degrees F] during the day and fall to 18 degrees Celsius [64.4 degrees F] at night.

http://www.visit-qatar.com/qatarclimate.html

Thought it belonged to the group of countries where days are hot but when nights comes tempertaure can make a big drop..

If their temp stats are anything like the UAE, the temperature never officially reaches over 42 deg C. The builders would be allowed off work  for health and safety if that happened :P

Cobretti2 said:
benao87 said:
Cobretti2 said:
benao87 said:
Cobretti2 said:

There is nothign wrogn with Russia. Football is about expansion. Russia has the football team, thepeople and the money to deserve a go.

QATAR on the other hand just has the money to bribe people.

Or to make some awesome stadia, you should look their video. Still, I would have prefered Japan or Australia. Japan bid video was kind of interesting, that technology looked awesome, too bad the people acting wasn't that good. On the good side, they didn't give it to the US :)

Rusia 2018, well, idk lets hope for the best.

Australia didn't deserve it because they left my state out and Darwin too lol. They talked about how the world cup would help develop the country for many years after. Well it would only help further develop the East coast.

Federal Government failed so hard on this. I am so pissed off. We provide some of the best sports people to AFL, Cricket and EPL Junior teams. Yet the AFL tells us to fuck off, Cricket does the same and now Football.

Which is your state? I saw one video, not sure if was the official one. Perth, and Adelaide were included so was Canberra. Then, if you are not from Northern Australia, ...Tassie?

Tassie. We get shafted all the time yet all our talent goes interstate. Tassie is like a 3rd world country withing a 1st world country.

I missed my chance to know it. Wanted to but I was broke back then.

Yeah, I bet it would be more interesting to see Hobart than Newcastle, or Townsville.  Anyways, it still won't happen.

Scoobes said:
PullusPardus said:
ProdigyBam said:

World Cup in

- a country that forbids alcohol (yeah football without alcohol)

- a country where are only 1 million people (dont know where 2 million more want to stay)

- a country where in summer its as hot as 45-50 ° celsius (dont know how the teams and visitiers want to survive that)

- a country which football team never made it to a worldcup and nobody knows the players

- a country where women are oppressed (football without women?)

= EPIC fail

really good decision fifa... meh :/

but congratulations to russia :D

-i guess everyone is going to melt before finishing the match, i mean teams never ever went outside to sweat in their homelands (did you know south africa is hotter than qatar?)

-how many times did USA and Russia win the world cup again ?

Ok, now his post was stupid and I think Qatar has the money to pull off a decent tournament, but these points are equally stupid.

- All teams suffer if the temperature is too hot. Athletes are not at their best and the quality of football suffers. Also, South Africa was actually very cold when the World Cup was on.

- They at least qualify for the world cup and are competitive. Qatar is effectively taking a place in the world cup finals over a better and more deserving team.

and do you know that its very cold in winter in qatar? heat isn't really an issue, especially if you realize that outside of the desert areas , the weather is just fine, think of it like Las Vegas , in the desert areas its very hot , but in the town area its very cool, and i am sure that Qatar isn't going to host the matches in the middle of nowhere

perpride said:
kowenicki said:
perpride said:

Dude I couldn't disagree with you more.

I think the host nations they picked are absolutley perfect. Football is an all-inclusive sport. FIFA is an all-inclusive organization. These two nations clearly had the readiness for the task which is at hand. 

I'm not so much excited for Russia 2018, even though I can respect that they will be hosting it and of course I think they will do a magnficient job.

It's Qatar 2022 which has me HYPED UP!!! A world cup being hosted in the Middle-East is an absolutley brilliant idea. It's what FIFA is all about. And I've heard rumors their putting cooling systems in every single seat of their stadiums.

I'm from Iran, so I might actually even go to that one.

Sorry dudes, I don't know if you are from England or what, but you sound like you are the way you're complaining.

Give me 5 good reasons why.

why should I give 5 reasons when the committee already decided? They're job is to decide what country is best fit to host the event. But here:

1 - First middle eastern nation to ever host a world cup. There's a reason it's called the "World Cup". The middle east is advancing rapidly, it was only a matter of time.

2 - There is much conflict in that part of the world right now and this kind of event will raise awareness.

3 - The world cup will further bridge the gap between Arab nations of the Middle East and the West.

4 - Half the other country's who were bidding for this have already hosted World Cups, and quite recently. Australia being the only exception. They hosted the summer olympics in 2000.

5 - I AM FROM THE MIDDLE EAST. Not Sure if you read that part, but I'll probably be attending these games if I'm alive.

Here's a couple of articles from months ago saying why Qatar should host:

http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/08/26/the-dark-horse-qatar-2022/

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/qatar/128474-middle-east-deserves-world-cup-qatar.html

http://mobile.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2009/11/18/1631309/qatar-hoping-new-airport-will-lend-weight-to-2022-world-cup

Qatar is a country that is already growing in infrastructure and rapidly advancing economically.

You raise some good points, but I'm going to ask you this, should Qatar be given a free pass to enter the world cup? They've never qualified for a world cup, and their current Fifa ranking is 113. They've just been given a free pass into the 2022 world cup in place of other more deserving nations. With all the money they have, shouldn't they have to prove the national team are deserving of the host and auto-entry status?

Even amongst Mid-East nations they're pretty lowly ranked. Iran, Iraq, UAE, Jordan, Bahrain and Saudia Arabia are all rated higher in the rankings.

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:

and do you know that its very cold in winter in qatar? heat isn't really an issue, especially if you realize that outside of the desert areas , the weather is just fine, think of it like Las Vegas , in the desert areas its very hot , but in the town area its very cool, and i am sure that Qatar isn't going to host the matches in the middle of nowhere

Never been to Vegas...

benao87 said:
Cobretti2 said:
benao87 said:
Cobretti2 said:
benao87 said:
Cobretti2 said:

There is nothign wrogn with Russia. Football is about expansion. Russia has the football team, thepeople and the money to deserve a go.

QATAR on the other hand just has the money to bribe people.

Or to make some awesome stadia, you should look their video. Still, I would have prefered Japan or Australia. Japan bid video was kind of interesting, that technology looked awesome, too bad the people acting wasn't that good. On the good side, they didn't give it to the US :)

Rusia 2018, well, idk lets hope for the best.

Australia didn't deserve it because they left my state out and Darwin too lol. They talked about how the world cup would help develop the country for many years after. Well it would only help further develop the East coast.

Federal Government failed so hard on this. I am so pissed off. We provide some of the best sports people to AFL, Cricket and EPL Junior teams. Yet the AFL tells us to fuck off, Cricket does the same and now Football.

Which is your state? I saw one video, not sure if was the official one. Perth, and Adelaide were included so was Canberra. Then, if you are not from Northern Australia, ...Tassie?

Tassie. We get shafted all the time yet all our talent goes interstate. Tassie is like a 3rd world country withing a 1st world country.

I missed my chance to know it. Wanted to but I was broke back then.

Yeah, I bet it would be more interesting to see Hobart than Newcastle, or Townsville.  Anyways, it still won't happen.

Yes it will never happen. I would of cut Newcastle off as Sydney is close enough.

Just like AFL, they expect us to FUND the Hawks 16million for 4 lousy games but we cant have our own team. Instead AFL is giving Gold Coast a golden pass to a premiership almost. They never did that for West Coast or Port Adelaide. 

Yeah, this doesn't reek of typical FIFA corruption at all. I don't understand how anybody can take these guys seriously.

Russia's ok, but England's better. It's ridiculous England hasn't hosted more World Cups.

Qatar? I'm sorry, but are you freaking kidding me? All their stadiums need to be built and will never be used at all afterward. I look forward to Tajikistan hosting in 2026; they have about as much business hosting it as Qatar.

EDIT: Did someone seriously suggest the Russian police should patrol the stadiums? LOL

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

themanwithnoname said:

Yeah, this doesn't reek of typical FIFA corruption at all. I don't understand how anybody can take these guys seriously.

Russia's ok, but England's better. It's ridiculous England hasn't hosted more World Cups.

Qatar? I'm sorry, but are you freaking kidding me? All their stadiums need to be built and will never be used at all afterward. I look forward to Tajikistan hosting in 2026; they have about as much business hosting it as Qatar.

EDIT: Did someone seriously suggest the Russian police should patrol the stadiums? LOL

In case you haven't noticed Qatar is the 2nd richest country in the world behind Lichenstein. That have 12 years to make a state of the art stadium. You don't think they can do it?

All of you hating on Qatar really need to calm down. If anything hosting in the Middle East is a good thing. When many people think of the Middle East, they think about afghanistan, iraq, etc. I guess its finally time for people to see how loaded with money the middle east is and how awesome the cities and technology are. That aside i would have a preferred the world cup to be in UAE over Qatar.

SpartenOmega117 said:
themanwithnoname said:

In case you haven't noticed Qatar is the 2nd richest country in the world behind Lichenstein. That have 12 years to make a state of the art stadium. You don't think they can do it?

All of you hating on Qatar really need to calm down. If anything hosting in the Middle East is a good thing. When many people think of the Middle East, they think about afghanistan, iraq, etc. I guess its finally time for people to see how loaded with money the middle east is and how awesome the cities and technology are. That aside i would have a preferred the world cup to be in UAE over Qatar.

That's great, why don't we make it 2026 in Lichtenstein, that sounds like a wonderful idea.

You've missed the point entirely. It's a matter of relevance, not a matter of wealth. What relevance does Qatar have on the world stage? What relevance does Qatar have on the football stage? Looking at Brazil in 2014 and Qatar in 2022, it's an absolutely laughable comparison. FIFA apparently now must like punishing nations where football is actually, you know, popular. I never "hated on Qatar," but Qatar has no relevance on the world or football stage and the fact that they're a wealthy nation makes it more likely that a backdoor deal was hatched out before hand.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.