By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So.. ps3 is doing by 1 mln. better then x360 in it`s first year?

steverhcp02 said:
eugene said:
It definitely is too little too late for Sony in a way cause Microsoft got what they wanted. They wanted more mindshare on Xbox and less on Playstation. 7 years ago, Xbox was nothing, no fans, no games, just a spec in Sony's eyes. Now its a freakin mountain they have to climb over.

Halo, KOTOR, FABLE say hello.

And its not too little too late by any means, on the horizon the PS3 has its best software ahead of it as far as speculation on proven names goes.....cant say teh same about the 360. Just this xmas with th ePS3 eeking to almost neck and neck WW, the PS3 has yet to blow its load or climax with GT, FF, God of War, Killzone (regardless it will sell well and hype) Home etc. Granted if the PS3 cant gain 2-3 million on the 360 by this time next year id be willing to say that it probably will never overtake the 360, but as of now, there is much room for sony to grow, imo.

I said 7 years ago also. Meaning the year 2000. Those games came out after the year 2000 I believe. Halo didnt say hello until 2001

Around the Network

My main point was that Xbox became a clear alternative to the Playstation over the years and that is what Microsoft wanted. The direction of the arrow for Xbox brand is going up(mostly cause it was very low to start with) and the playstation brand is going down (mostly cause they were so high at the top.

What? What has happened? In the first chart, Playstation 3 is last... Okay... In the second chart, Playstation 3 is last... Okay... What? I don't get it? Yes, the Playstation 3 is taking some of the Xbox 360's market share... Yeah... But until it is actually ahead of the Xbox 360, than it's not defeating the Xbox 360.

CrazzyMan said:
@Gamerace:

ALL consoles doing it second year better then first, it`s normal.
That`s why PS3 wasn`t able to catch x360 in ps3 first year, but will be able to catch up in 2nd ps3 year.

Hardware Shipments:
PSone:
Sony Mar-1996 - 4.26 mln.
Sony Mar-1997 - 13.50 mln.
Sony Mar-1998 - 32.82 mln. -> around 30 mln.
Sony Mar-1999 - 54.42 mln.

PS2:
Sony Mar-2001 - 10.61 mln.
Sony Mar-2002 - 28.68 mln. -> around 30 mln.
Sony Mar-2003 - 51.20 mln.

PS3:
Sony Mar-2008 - i expect 10,57 mln.
Sony Mar-2009 - i expect 25,32 mln. -> around 30 mln.

X360:
Microsoft Mar-2007 - 10.94 mln.
Microsoft Mar-2008 - i expect 18,23 mln. -> NOWHERE NEAR CLOSE TO 30 mln.

To be a succesfull console, console have to sell around 20 mln. on it`s second/third year.
x360 FAILED to do that in it`s sceond year.
PS3 still has GOOD chances to do that.

While your numbers have no basis in fact, they're your gut instincts, I concede that PS3 can catch the 360 and eventually get ahead.  I predict it actually.  But like the xbox caught and eventually beat the GC, this isn't where Sony wants or needs to be.  Beating the GC didn't make MS a cent.  It cost them billions.  Beating the 360 may end up similar for Sony.  With their loss leading model of business they need to be dominating, not struggling, to be profittable.  

Also, developers may not share your optomism, meaning more games in future where 360 is the lead platform or exclusive  to 360.  Makes it even harder for PS3 to gain ground.

@ Crazzy man

The 360 outsold the PS3 in 2005!!!

Yep... my comment is about as crap as your whole topic.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
a.l.e.x59 said:
What? What has happened? In the first chart, Playstation 3 is last... Okay... In the second chart, Playstation 3 is last... Okay... What? I don't get it? Yes, the Playstation 3 is taking some of the Xbox 360's market share... Yeah... But until it is actually ahead of the Xbox 360, than it's not defeating the Xbox 360.

Yes but see you're not a teenage Sony fanboy who's white Christmas will be RUINED without a sweeping Sony victory.

Still it is fun to see what garbage they come up with on a daily basis, now image if Sony PR was this good.