By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So.. ps3 is doing by 1 mln. better then x360 in it`s first year?

Ha ha that is hilarious.

Also, once it drops to $99 and becomes even smaller (dont know how they will pull that off) I believe there will be a small surge in sales.

what is it at now about 120 million or so?

Around the Network

Current Ps2 sales are 113M as of the 9th of december.

Cool48

PS2 still has a lot of steam left but 20 million, I say it will retire at 130M no higher.

I was thinking it was closer to 120. 135 may be a stretch.

Jandre02 said:
The PS3 has only cut the price $100 this year, yet cut development costs significantly. Prove me wrong if I am.

And who cares whether or not you think its an amazing feat. Exclusive now will remain exclusives, third party devs will no longer cancel multiplatform titles and make them Xbox exclusives, and the PS3 will benefit from huge hardware boosts from exclusives both inside and OUTSIDE the FPS fanbase, a fanbase that has yet to see a reason to buy a next gen console for racing, RPGs, action games, etc.

The PS3 is catching the Xbox next year unless the Xbox has something huge up its sleeves.

Yet to see a reason to buy a next gen console for racin, RPGs, actions games? Are you serious? Let me gues the only games that cut it for these genres are: Gran Turismo, FF, MGS? I was kind of thinking racing fans already had: Forza 2, PGR3,4, Dirt, Burnout: Revenge and a few other solid racers, for rpgs, you have Oblivion, Eternal Sonata, Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Action you have Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, and Crackdown. So don't pretend the 360 only has FPS titles.

Around the Network

http://www.el33tonline.com/main/show_news/3545
http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/071106ae.html

Both of these say 120 million reached around october....not that i am doubting vgchartz of course

While the PS3 may be selling slightly better than the 360 in it's first year, what's more telling and important, is that it's failed to gain any ground on the 360 at all. It's still 7m behind!
The fact that 360 is maintaining it's lead won't be lost on western developers. It has a larger base, and seemingly, always will. Japanese developers will more likely develop for the Wii, as it's clearly winning there (and everywhere) and a lot cheaper to develop Japanese centric games for.
While I'm happy that the PS3 will hit 8m, that's pretty irrelevant in the bigger picture.

It definitely is too little too late for Sony in a way cause Microsoft got what they wanted. They wanted more mindshare on Xbox and less on Playstation. 7 years ago, Xbox was nothing, no fans, no games, just a spec in Sony's eyes. Now its a freakin mountain they have to climb over.

eugene said:
It definitely is too little too late for Sony in a way cause Microsoft got what they wanted. They wanted more mindshare on Xbox and less on Playstation. 7 years ago, Xbox was nothing, no fans, no games, just a spec in Sony's eyes. Now its a freakin mountain they have to climb over.

Halo, KOTOR, FABLE say hello.

And its not too little too late by any means, on the horizon the PS3 has its best software ahead of it as far as speculation on proven names goes.....cant say teh same about the 360. Just this xmas with th ePS3 eeking to almost neck and neck WW, the PS3 has yet to blow its load or climax with GT, FF, God of War, Killzone (regardless it will sell well and hype) Home etc. Granted if the PS3 cant gain 2-3 million on the 360 by this time next year id be willing to say that it probably will never overtake the 360, but as of now, there is much room for sony to grow, imo.

@Gamerace:

ALL consoles doing it second year better then first, it`s normal.
That`s why PS3 wasn`t able to catch x360 in ps3 first year, but will be able to catch up in 2nd ps3 year.

Hardware Shipments:
PSone:
Sony Mar-1996 - 4.26 mln.
Sony Mar-1997 - 13.50 mln.
Sony Mar-1998 - 32.82 mln. -> around 30 mln.
Sony Mar-1999 - 54.42 mln.

PS2:
Sony Mar-2001 - 10.61 mln.
Sony Mar-2002 - 28.68 mln. -> around 30 mln.
Sony Mar-2003 - 51.20 mln.

PS3:
Sony Mar-2008 - i expect 10,57 mln.
Sony Mar-2009 - i expect 25,32 mln. -> around 30 mln.

X360:
Microsoft Mar-2007 - 10.94 mln.
Microsoft Mar-2008 - i expect 18,23 mln. -> NOWHERE NEAR CLOSE TO 30 mln.

To be a succesfull console, console have to sell around 20 mln. on it`s second/third year.
x360 FAILED to do that in it`s sceond year.
PS3 still has GOOD chances to do that.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far